WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Favorite Hostel and why?

First time I've posted a new thread here on WB. I know it's just resurecting an old thread but I haven't seen it in a while. I'd like to know from thru-hikers, which is your favorite hostel on the AT and why. I'm biased on the issue so I shall refrain from sharing mine.

Of hostels presently in operation, probably Kincora, but there are certainly others that are right up there.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am biased eventhough I haven't stayed at a hostel yet. I got to go for Kincora. One...Dennis Cove is one of my favorite local spots. Two...Bob, he is a friend and the most generous guy on trail. Three...HARDCORE (insert Bostonian accent here).
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Cabin in Maine (currently closed though)

But enjoyed Kincora very much as well. Bob is a super human being.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Im more interested in the why than just the name of the hostel. What do you like about it and is there anything you would like to see added, improved, taken out etc...

Re. Kincora:

It is one of the friendliest places on the entire Trail; it has everything one might need or want; and its proprietor, Bob Peoples, is unique.

As to what needs to be added, improved on, taken out, etc......

Nothing at all.

Images

Blueberry Patch - warm wood stove, they max out at 10, a good home cooked breakfast, conversation with Gary Poteat (very humble former thru hiker)

Braemer Castle cuz nobody goes there. they pile into Kincora instead where they're stuck with no stores, beer fobidden and crammed in like marshmallows in a bag

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Braemer Castle cuz nobody goes there. they pile into Kincora instead where they're stuck with no stores, beer fobidden and crammed in like marshmallows in a bag
    I'd love to go back to Kincorra off season and hangout with Bob. Place was waaay too crowded when I was there, went down the road. And that was early April. Can't imagine what it is like in May.

Appreciated the ride to town and a place to send my maps too though.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I'd love to go back to Kincorra off season and hangout with Bob. Place was waaay too crowded when I was there, went down the road. And that was early April. Can't imagine what it is like in May.

Appreciated the ride to town and a place to send my maps too though.
    I stayed there at the end of may right after the crowd and it was great. We had at most 10 people there. I slept in the upstairs and there was one other person up there. It was very peaceful and I really enjoyed that night. I would imagine that it would be crazy a couple of weeks earlier.

exactly

Woods Hole was a great change of pace in 06 with Tilly and her granddaughter.
    The Outhouse/Mayor's House for hospitality and appreciation for people that think differently.

Images

Hiker Hostel. Lee and Josh are saints to many hikers getting started and needing help with a shuttle. A great way to start your hike and be fresh and ready for the journey.

To judge the best is so hard. Depends on when you got there, how much help you needed, etc...

Images

I really liked Standing Bear Farm. But I go for the rustic, antique type of places. Elmer's in Hot Springs is another not to miss stop imho. His cooking is excellent!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Last I checked, the accomodations at Standing Bear Farm were pretty rustic, tho I'm not sure Curtis wants to be considered an "antique".

It's also one of the best places on the Trail.

I'd love to go back to Kincorra off season and hangout with Bob. Place was waaay too crowded when I was there, went down the road. And that was early April.
    Early April? When did you start?

Rockhound, since you're asking the question, we don't care about your bias. Which do you like best?

Miss Janet's House was the best ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Early April? When did you start?

Rockhound, since you're asking the question, we don't care about your bias. Which do you like best?
    Curtis and Maria have been kind enough to allow me to volunteer here at the Standing Bear Hostel, so of course my alligence lies there. Even if I wasnt caretaking I still think I would vote Standing Bear. It has everything a hiker needs. Hot showers, kitchen facilities, internet, telephone, they accept mail drops, laundry(old school), resupply shed with all the hiker favorites, its just 200 yds off the trail but mostly Id say its the laid back attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    It has everything a hiker needs.
    do they have private rooms? a store, beer and restaurants within walking distance?

Standing Bear, as Lone Wolf well knows, is far removed from town.

So no, you can't walk to a beer store or a restaurant from there, nor do they offer private rooms.

Oddly enough, tho, every year several thousand folks find a way to have a really good time there anyway.

Imagine that.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++