WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Good Sleeping Bag on a Budget

I have pretty much all the gear I need except for a winter sleeping bag. I am planning to start the AT in early March and will be using a Hammock so I would like to have something in the 15 - 20 degree range. I do not want to go high end, but can someone make a recommendation to me on the best bag for the money in their opinion.

Thanks

Images

Hey, there,

In a hammock, your bottom insulation is at least as important as your bag. I'm assuming from your question that you don't want to drop big bucks on a down under quilt, so I'll note that I've had good success with a wide closed-cell-foam pad. The RidgeRest XL is 25 inches wide, and the blue foam pad I got at Target is 27 inches wide. (The extra width is necessary to wrap around your shoulders.)

The best bang for the buck in sleeping bags is the Campmor 20-F Down mummy bag. Realistically it's good to just below freezing, though. You did mention "winter bag" so you might look at the 0-F version from Campmor, too. That might be nice in a hammock.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I have the 20 degree campmor bag and love it. There are many here on Whiteblaze that have this bag and I have never heard anything bad about it. For the money, it's the best weight and temp rating, imo.
    The 20 degree bag comes in around $110. Don't know what the price of the 0* is. Plus, they are down and compress to a small size.

I stayed at Muskrat Creek Shelter one night with this bag. When I woke, my washrag was frozen solid as a rock. It got down significantly lower than 32, and I stayed toasty warm, and that was in the shelter. Good luck with your thru, and Happy Hiking!! Maybe I'll see ya in the Shennies
    Last edited by Lilred; 01-13-2009 at 19:46.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

might want to bring a decent pad for a few weeks, so to sleep on the ground if you get cold in your hammock one night.

the campmor 20 deg. is fine for much lower than 32 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the campmor 20 deg. is fine for much lower than 32 deg.
    I agree w/ LW .That being said I am a warm sleeper. I do believe campmor is honest on their ratings though. Great bags for the money in my opinion.

The Campmor bags rock.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Images

REI has some get deals right now
    I tried to quit drinking but Captain Morgan keeps kicking Mr. Will Powers ass.

Images

look for deals with '08 closeouts and gear swaps, my first sleeping bag was a barely used 20* for $15 bought at a gear swap
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Default hammock bag for sale for hammock

Quote Originally Posted by volleypc View Post
    I have pretty much all the gear I need except for a winter sleeping bag. I am planning to start the AT in early March and will be using a Hammock so I would like to have something in the 15 - 20 degree range. I do not want to go high end, but can someone make a recommendation to me on the best bag for the money in their opinion.

Thanks
    Hello,
    I as well am a At tree hanger. I use a couple of diffrent hammocks and can tell you at best always get a bag that is made for a tall person aor extra long...why you ask.? When you body curves in the hammock you pull out of the bag (even a Mummy or it crunches you up) and become very uncomfortorable. For you if you are looking I just happen to dhave a 2007 Northface 20' bag Northface Cats Meow bag for sale. It was bought for my wife and use once. She did not like hammocking and the extra long bag is not need for her bivy tent. WGHT. is about 2pds. and comes with NFstuff sack. I paid 175.00 I will sell it for 90.00 just not using and its hangnig in our closet. Contact me if interested. [email protected] AT hiker NB 05 and SB 06 . Trail name ""The Daredevil" Indurance hiker. usually about 35 to 40 miles weather pending a day. I love the bag you will to. email me with q's Im glad to help

Images

Default thanks everyone

I went ahead and purchased the campmor 20 last night thanks to all of your recommendations. Thanks again.

I went ahead and purchased the campmor 20 last night thanks to all of your recommendations. Thanks again.
    you won't be disappointed. i've had one for 4 years

Images

Good choice, you'll like this bag. I've had mine since 2003.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

++ New Posts ++