WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default 2009 Billville Winter Warmer - March 6, 7, & 8

Greetings again my trashy friends!

It is my privilege and honor to announce the Sixth Annual Billville Winter Warmer! This year, the Winter Warmer will be held on March 6th, 7th and 8th as always and the wonderful and welcoming historic Doyle Hotel! (http://doylehotel.com)

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: Seriously - we've done five of these, you don't get it by now? OK, The Billville Winter Warmer is simply an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It has been very loosely organized by proud Billville members like myself and Jester and all who love the trail and/or central Pennsylvania are welcome. In the past there have been work trips to the Ironmasters Hostel to lend a hand in cleaning and opening up for the new season, but that has yet to be determined.

Usually this is the point where I say that there are no other planned events, but lets face it, that's just not true. As always, we will have the Bad Hiker Poetry contest. Plus, Jester is just returning from a thru-hike of the PCT so there will almost certainly be at least a slideshow or two during the weekend. Of course, the biggest event of the weekend is socializing in the downstairs bar.

Other options for the weekend are numerous, however, with many short hiking options right out the front door or in the nearby area. Also, if you missed the Gathering last year, its a short drive to take a tour of Gettysburg. And in the winter, you have the place to yourself! If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip, especially if you can convince Jack or Jester to go with you.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: Again, really? Really? If you don't know where the Doyle is and you have been a member of Whiteblaze for more than a month, something is seriously wrong. However, for those of you unfamiliar, the Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If you would rather, there is a campground just down the street. Also, just outside of town the truck stop has rooms available as well.

As always, most people stayed in the Doyle, however since this little shin-dig has grown a lot since year one, space does get a little tight. You should be prepared to crash on a floor, or share your floor space with a friend! Don't have a friend? This is a perfect excuse to make a new one! Do you snore? Have fun getting in a fight with your new friend!

(Please remember to pay your share to the Doyle even if you are sleeping on the floor! Not sure about the current rates, but last year it was $5 a night.)

I know I've said all this before, but the Doyle is kind enough to host this event, we love being here, we have been treated very well each of the past five years. Pat and Vickey are excellent hosts - and we are lucky to have a great, friendly place like the Doyle to gather in the middle of winter.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. (I've gone for short hikes 3 out of the 5 years). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. Got some hiking videos? Bring your DVD's. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers. If you happen to be a crazy southbound hiker out in the dead of winter hiking by yourself, don't worry about bringing your sanity - you lost that a while ago.

We would also like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people? Well, I guess I could think of quite a few better ways to start a hike than that, but you gotta admit its at least a pretty good way to start your hike.

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Yes, singing and laughing are strongly encouraged, but Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. If you are planning to attend, please let me know so we can get a accurate head count. We like to have an idea of how many people "for sure" are going to be there, so I can tell others if they need to plan for staying somewhere else. I get a lot of calls and emails last minute to see if there is bed space, etc... If you don't want to plan ahead, its no problem. Just bring a sleeping bag and pad and pull up some floor space. We're nothing if not friendly!

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Sixth Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

I for one would not miss the Billville winter warmer for the world. I will be there for sure.

come on Chomp....Bike Week?

geek

Images

Count me in.

Panzer
    ps. I ain't got anything better to do...

that's awesome.
    Last edited by Sly; 01-15-2009 at 22:18.

Images

Alright.......I'm their....sounds like a blast
    Last edited by Sly; 01-15-2009 at 22:18.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I will go myself as well. Can I catch a ride up with you Brother Gungho?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Hey..same weekend as the Rockies Ruck. Two low-key hiker gatherings that DO NOT have contra dancing.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    I think I will go myself as well. Can I catch a ride up with you Brother Gungho?
    the more the merrier

Images

If we can get the entire Ohio Sleeper Cell woken up and organized, we may need to steal a bus. Since only half of us will probably get moving, we might need a big van.

For a preview of what to expect at the Warmer, check this out...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ehIqE1INk

I can't wait to see Chomp there.
    What? Me worry??

Hey Chomp, great post. Made me chuckle several times. For those unaware, Chomp started this event ? many years ago, I guess because he missed his trail friends and it has developed into a way for Billvillians to start the new hiker season. Welcome one and all. Hope to see you all at some time during the weekend.
    And I again offer to do the Sunday morning breakfast at my place.
    I am very anxious to see Jester's pics and videos from the PCT and might we also see pics and videos from Walkin' Home's trip abroad?

Images

Chomp you are so funny....but next time you should post all your links on Backcountry as I think the world should see everywhere you've hiked! I'm still jealous on the Death Valley thangy.

As for attending, I'm going to make it, I just hope the weather along I-80 is more clear than it was last year - geezus that was awful driving.

Hey Redneck, I'm pitching in $20 for gas on that bus! If it's anything the size of that tent y'all better look out !!!!!!

Mary I'm bringing ham baby. Stick that in yer menu HA !

Oh, can I have the honeymoon suite at the Doyle or are you taking it this year?

Currently accepting ride proposals...(or at least someone to pick me up at the Harrisburg bus depot). Depot. That's a funny word.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Currently accepting ride proposals...(or at least someone to pick me up at the Harrisburg bus depot). Depot. That's a funny word.
    Call me if you need a ride from the bus station 717-834-4706

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    I'll give you a lift door to door. Just as long as you don't say Depot the entire time.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I'll give you a lift door to door. Just as long as you don't say Depot the entire time.
    Word. I'll entertain other funny word options. Thanks, man.

spellunker.

"Sphincter spellunker says what?"

Default Nitrates for Everyone!!

Since when does Mary do Sunday breakfast?

I thought I did Sunday breakfast.

What Mary very thoughtfully does is to supply the fine kitchen, which I then proceed to destroy, using up all of poor Mary's paper towels, dish cloths, and dishwashing liquid.

Anyway, looking forward to it again this March. Maybe this is the year Bfitz actually washes a spoon or buses his own dishes or something.

And just so all you know, breakfast is a BYOB event.

I.e., Bring Yer Own Bacon. We always run out.

Quote Originally Posted by jack Tarlin View Post
    since When Does Mary Do Sunday Breakfast? :d

I Thought I Did Sunday Breakfast.

What Mary Very Thoughtfully Does Is To Supply The Fine Kitchen, Which I Then Proceed To Destroy, Using Up All Of Poor Mary's Paper Towels, Dish Cloths, And Dishwashing Liquid.

Anyway, Looking Forward To It Again This March. Maybe This Is The Year Bfitz Actually Washes A Spoon Or Buses His Own Dishes Or Something.

And Just So All You Know, Breakfast Is A Byob Event.

I.e., Bring Yer Own Bacon. We Always Run Out.
    Lmao!

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Since when does Mary do Sunday breakfast?

I thought I did Sunday breakfast.

What Mary very thoughtfully does is to supply the fine kitchen, which I then proceed to destroy, using up all of poor Mary's paper towels, dish cloths, and dishwashing liquid.

Anyway, looking forward to it again this March. Maybe this is the year Bfitz actually washes a spoon or buses his own dishes or something.

And just so all you know, breakfast is a BYOB event.

I.e., Bring Yer Own Bacon. We always run out.
    Mmmm, bacon! Mayhap I'll bring Matthewski; he'll have bacon.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++