WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Eagles

Images

Default Blue Mountain eagles!

I wonder what Harry Rentschler and Danny Hoch would think of these Blue Mountain eagles? Now, instead of visiting the site of a once-active eagle's nest, today's Keepers of the Appalachian Trail can see our national symbol soaring above it.

It was at a BMECC meeting where I was inspired to start this thread by our club's president who was encouraged by Audubon Pennsylvania to help them get the word out about Kittatinny Ridge IBA. I am happy I was able to help in a small way and am greatful for all the contributions.

Audubon's new IBA sign can now be seen at public access areas. I'll post my best photo and substitute a better image when I can.
    Last edited by emerald; 03-21-2009 at 21:11. Reason: Added IBA sign image.

Images

Default Birds on IBA sign?

Since someone may wonder, I'll ask the question. It's an easy one for someone who knows A.T. bird silhouettes.

Images

Default Bald eagles in the 21st century

Go here to read the above-named article contributed by PGC wildlife biologist Dan Brauning.

Images

Default A sense of wonder

In conjunction with its 75th anniversary celebration, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary will be presenting A sense of wonder on 3 evenings next month. More information may be obtained by clicking on the link provided.

Images

Default Last screening

A sense of wonder will be presented at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary next Wednesday at 6:30 PM. For information or to reserve a seat, click on the link in post #44.

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in." -- Rachel Carson

The quote above comes from "Helping your child to wonder," published by Woman's Home Companion magazine not long before she died in 1964. It was republished as The sense of wonder by HarperCollins in 1998. Reviews of it and Rachel Carson's books can be found on amazon.com.

Images

Default HMS trip report

I attended HMS's presentation in their Wings of Wonder gallery along with 40-50 others including a scout troop and a number of families with children.

Laurie Goodrich recommended American Bird Conservancy's Pesticides and Birds for additional reading. I pass along her recommendation to those who might have liked to attend, but were unable for one reason or another. She mentioned kestrel numbers appear to be down 50% and falling, the reason(s) for which are not yet entirely clear.

Since enough light remained to walk to South Lookout, I did and had it all to myself as I often do off-season at the end of a day. I could see The Pinnacle and about as far as Dan's Pulpit, but not much beyond. Fog filled the Eck beyond the River of Rocks and it appeared as if I were looking at the sea.

I thought of the Maine coast and those who live there who contributed to this thread.

Images

Default Peregrines in Pennsylvania

Additional information about peregrine falcons is available from PGC.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Most predators are on the rise. Less small farm holdings, hunting, trapping, more protection and fewer reasons for people to keep them shot out.
    Huh? What? I fail to see how the two connect.

This was more about Americans stopping the use of DDT.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Post #47

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I fail to see how the two connect.
    Did you notice how my PGC link connects you with wildlife, specifically information related to an earlier post of yours? My post adds new information about numbers and distribution specific to Pennsylvania I thought you might find interesting.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Did you notice how my PGC link connects you with wildlife, specifically information related to an earlier post of yours? My post adds new information about numbers and distribution specific to Pennsylvania I thought you might find interesting.
    Yes I read it but NN's post was confusing. - DDT, and other related pesticides is the clear problem as other countries are still using the junk.

Today this is the problem in the good ol' USA.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NEWS/801160583
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Threats to eagles

Yes, I read it ...
    It might be argued use of DDT is necessary to protect human health in some locations at least until better alternatives are available.

Today this is the problem in the good ol' USA.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NEWS/801160583
    That's not a new problem. Unfortunately, it's not possible to eliminate idiocy and even the best possible legislation to protect wildlife sometimes isn't enough.

Check this out. www.shiloheagles.com

Images

Default Berks County Nature Blog

The following entry was contributed by Bill Urich July 6:

Pennsylvania Game Commission announced that bald eagles have now been found nesting in 49 of the 67 counties in Pennsylvania. To my knowledge, there have been four nests reported in Berks.

Last year, 156 nests were found in 47 counties. Compare those numbers with just the three nests in the state which were found in Crawford County in 1983.

It’s quite a testament to Hawk Mountain’s mission that during the sanctuary’s 75th anniversary year we should witness the comeback of two of the most endangered raptor species that have been observed over the North Lookout.

Back in 1984 during the sanctuary’s 50th anniversary, no one dared think that by 2009 we’d have nesting peregrines in Reading and nesting bald eagles in Berks. But that doesn’t mean that all these fragile gains couldn’t be lost by Hawk Mountain’s 100th anniversary.
    http://www.readingeagle.com/blog.aspx?bid=70

Images

i saw 2 bald eagles last week kayaking down the schuylkill river (b/t schuylkill haven and port clinton). 1 actually dove down with talons out to grab a fish, but missed. it was a really neat thing to see in real life!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I had the pleasure of watching bald eagles and ospreys grabbing fish all last week at Lake Greenwood in SC. I really hate jet skis with a passion, and got to see an osprey grab a fish from about ten feet in front of one.....wish the guy had freaked and fallen off!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i saw 2 bald eagles last week kayaking down the schuylkill river (b/t schuylkill haven and port clinton). 1 actually dove down with talons out to grab a fish, but missed. it was a really neat thing to see in real life!
    2 or 3 weeks ago I was kayaking/fishing above the Kernsville Dam on the Schuylkill River and saw an Eagle with a fish in it's talons. I was right out in front of the upper parking lot and the people on the shore got to see it take the fish. Definitly an awesome sight.

I'll be floating this Saturday from Hamburg to Crosskeys. Maybe we'll get lucky and see one again.

Images

Default PGC press release #069-2009

Bald eagles nesting in 49 counties of Pennsylvania; proper bald eagle nest viewing etiquette encouraged

This release may be the source of information for Bill Urhich's post to Berks County Nature Blog mentioned in post #53.

Images

Default Roasalie Edge: Hawk of Mercy

I've shared a Pennsylvania DEP page about Rosalie Edge with others here before, but I don't recall if I ever posted it where everyone can read it.
    Click Pennsylvania Bird-Watching to link to a recent post about Rosalie Edge and a new book about her published by University of Georgia Press.

Images

Default Freedom to Soar

Laurie Goodrich mentioned kestrel numbers appear to be down 50% and falling, the reason(s) for which are not yet entirely clear.
    Darrin Youker quotes in A.T. Journeys (September-October 2009) Hawk Mountain's Dr. Keith Bildstein who believes West Nile Virus has contributed.

Anyone who's read this far and hasn't already read Darrin's article should click above to see what you missed. I liked the images, especially the peregrine and Scouts on North Lookout.

If the author's name seems familiar, it may be because he writes for The Reading Eagle and his articles have been linked to History as a Mystery. You might also want to read Darrin's article which was The Reading Eagle's lead story a few days ago entitled Buzz builds in Berks over dwindling number of bees and butterflies or click on Pollinators to read his article and join an ongiong discussion.

Images

Default Pennsylvania - Big Insight from Little Bird Bands

Click on Faces of Nature to read a short Q&A about the role of bird banding in conservation and some surprising facts it's revealed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++