WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default wow, harpers ferry outfitters...

While i don't work for / get paid from/ not have any affiliation with the harpers ferry outfitters before today, I DO want to put a plug in for them! I'm sure most thru hikers have stopped at this establishment on their way through but today was my first experiance with them.

I've been doing research and putting together a gear wishlist. Well, as the nearest outfitter to me is a hour and a half away and does not carry some of the gear i want i decided to show around online.

I came across some leki treking poles on ebay that harpers ferry had for sale. I called to see if they wouldn't mind helping me with a few of my gear questions. Not only did they take the time to answer all my questions and offer advice, they beat the price on EVERY piece of gear i was looking to buy! So if your looking to buy new gear it is def worth your time to give these guys a call.

below is the gear i wanted/got and what it cost me. (i searched on trailspace.com/ebay/all the price comparison web sites before buying)

osprey aether 70 $179.00
    (they didn't have the color i wanted so special ordered)

leki corklite trekking poles $77.00

mountian hardware phantom 15 $266.00

MSR titan kettle $39.95

Total for shipping, $17.95

if someone finds a better price please post so im not leading someone astray!!!

Laura's cool...

I bought my pair of Lekis there 12 years ago and are still using them. Of course, Leki has rebuilt them several times since...

These are great folks and run one of the finest Outfitters on (or near) the Trail. Nice of you to let folks know.

I bought a WM bag there four years ago at 20% off. You don't see people discount WM bags very often.

Images

It is a great store. It's almost like a adventure.

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I think it is against WM's wishes to discount their products. Thus their restrictions on who can sell their product.

Good selection and great people running the store, but sky high prices.

Images

HFO went way beyond the call of duty to help warranty our JetBoil after it died just days before we arrived. They are awesome!

I have shopped at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry for many, many years, and became friendly with the proprietors. Over the years, when visiting, or passing thru on a hike, I've frequently helped them out during busy times. In the process, I became very familiar with their inventory.

The vast majority of their goods are sold for MSRP, i.e the retail price suggested by the manufacturer of the item.

Many items sell for less, and there are always lots of top quality goods on sale.

I therefore must disagree with the poster who felt that the prices here were
    "sky high." I have not discovered this to be the case.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    Good selection and great people running the store, but sky high prices.
    Huh? You must have been looking at all the "Life is Good" useless inventory...they are very fair on equipment/technical clothing pricing.

Most people complain about retail prices are comparing them to the internet. They don't understand that retail stores have overhead to pay for while most stores on the internet contact the wholesaler and the product is directly shipped from them and they never have to stock a single product or handle inventory. Most places will match internet prices but there are no places that will list for the same as the internet.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I saw some good prices when I was there last with their sale, etc, but nothing I needed, unfortunately.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The vast majority of their goods are sold for MSRP, i.e the retail price suggested by the manufacturer of the item.
    I completely agree with that. But MSRP is also known as "full retail mark up." It is the maximum the manufacturer wants a retailer to charge. But retailers are allowed to charge less than MSRP. I would rather shop at a place that discounts from MSRP, not marks up to full MSRP.

I understand that the retailer needs to make a profit, but other retailers are selling the same gear for less.

Images

They carry Minus 33 merino wool longies. I got a great price and mailed them home.

Arizona:

You were a bit selective with your quoting.

I did indeed say that many of their items were at MSRP.

But I further pointed out that many are, in fact, less. And some items are a lot less.

In the main, tho, I think their prices are in line with comparable top-of-the line specialty outfitter shops. They don't sell junk, so some of their gear may seem expensive. But it is top-shelf goods, sold by reputable people, who provide customer service. So I don't think their prices are sky-high. I think they are perfectly fair, and are in line with competing shops on the Trail and elsewhere. Because of their unique location and because hikers always have gear problems, a shop like this could indeed stick it to hikers if they wanted, and take advantage of people. To their credit, just like the other top outfitters on or near the A.T., this shop does not and has never done that.

Garlic
    Images

I stopped there last May. It was right after Trail Days and they had just got back from Damascus with boxes of stuff. My partner had lost the snow stake he was using as a latrine tool. It's hard trying to replace a snow stake in the Southeast. Laura was real nice and told him, "Uhh, we're out of them right now." Kinda funny.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Does Garlic Man still work at the Harpers Ferry Outfitter?

Images

Great people, always like going there and seeing what new stuff they got in. Bought a good deal of stuff from them.

Bought one of those "ultra light weight" hammocks, has held up great. I use it while day hiking, find two good trees and toss it up, crash out for a bit and keep on hiking!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Does Garlic Man still work at the Harpers Ferry Outfitter?
    He left town in the winter or spring, I heard. I was looking forward to meeting him, we're garlic brothers.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

"You were a bit selective with your quoting."
    Yes I was, because that was the quote I agreed with.

And you are correct that they sell top-shelf goods, sold by reputable people, who provide customer service. My only point is that their prices are very high, often higher than many other outfitters.

Having worked for an outfitter in the early 90's, I had access to the wholesale price lists. I think people would be shocked to know how high mark up actually is. We carried a tent that REI retailed for $300. We sold it for $225, and the wholesale cost was $112. The only difference between buying it at REI and buying it at our store? More profit for REI (less money in the customer's pocket).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++