WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kelty Foraker or Kelty Lightyear?

I have to choose between a 0 degree Kelty Foraker or a Kelty Lightyear. I like the price of the Lightyear, but I like the full length zipper on the Foraker. I also like the idea that the Foraker claims to have more of a weather resistant shell, to help keep it dry in windy conditions. The Foraker also has 750 fill.

My question for this forum: Can I justify spending the extra noodles on the Foraker? Should I cave and get the Lightyear?

Ok WhiteBlazers - it's in your hands.

I do not know these particular bags, but a full length zipper greatly increases the vesitility of a bag. Also, a good down bag should last for many years, justifying a higher cost.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have a light year xp 20* and my buddy has the 0*. We both like them. However, if you're a cold sleeper I'd def. go with the 0*. I've had the xp 20* out in 15* or so, and I wasn't freezing but I was wishing I had bought the 0 bag.
    Get them cheap at sierra trading post dot com. you can find 25% off and free shipping codes on sites like fatwallet. I can't comment on the Foraker, never tried it.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Well.........to me, the Foraker is getting way too close to the Western Mountaineering price range, and I'd have to go that way and be lighter..

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I have a liightyear 25. It gets chilly below freezing.

The zipper is a touch annoying. (It's right side and I'm right handed DOH!) For a through hike I'd not tolerate it, for my week at a time section hikes it's fine.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I also have a Lightyear 25* which I bought in '07

I never had issues with the half zipper, even when using it in a hammock-- in fact, I actually have grown to like that feature. The zippered footbox works nicely for added ventilation.

Also, as has been mentioned, the temp rating for the bag may be a bit generous compared to its actual performance. I'd have rated it an honest 35* as I've been cold a bit too often.

My biggest disappointment is with the quality of workmanship. Somehow I managed to rip the hood drawstring out on my first week on the trail and subsequently several of the seams split open on me. I don't think I was rough on the bag. My opinion is that Kelty had been living on its reputation and that manufacturing quality could have been improved.

Another plus was that I like the 2 pound weight, but personally, I'd consider other brands due to my experiences.

++ New Posts ++