WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default make a list

I made a list I'm going to bring with me called "Reasons To Finish The Trail"
    I'm thinking I can pull it out and read when I get discouraged.
    For example:
    1. You have to much time and money invested to not finish.
    2.You have the rest of your life to stare at a tv and computer screen.
    3. It will be "words of success" for you. Knowing that you finished what you started will give you confidence in the future.
    I have 26 so far and I add to the list all the time. I've included some of my favorite quotes and personal reasons as well.
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Most people are ready to finish when they reach Maine. The novelty has long worn off, the monotony has set in, the aches and pains never go away, they miss their friends at home, ahead of them, behind them, the bugs never give you a day off, the food doesn't change much, etc. Coming from a section hiker it seems to me that time spent in towns helps recharge a lot of folks, but it can be a double-edged sword - the draw to return to the creature comforts might just get to be bigger than the draw to return to the rigors of the trail. Weeks of rain, weeks of sweltering heat, etc.
    I doubt I could do it, but, given the time and money, I'd be more than willing to give it a try.
    I just realized, as a 2009 Thru Hiker, I need to "ween" myself off of WB. Thanks for all of the great advice, I need to leave. Thanks again to all of you! Joshua
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0321 View Post
    I made a list I'm going to bring with me called "Reasons To Finish The Trail"
    I'm thinking I can pull it out and read when I get discouraged.
    For example:
    1. You have to much time and money invested to not finish.
    2.You have the rest of your life to stare at a tv and computer screen.
    3. It will be "words of success" for you. Knowing that you finished what you started will give you confidence in the future.
    I have 26 so far and I add to the list all the time. I've included some of my favorite quotes and personal reasons as well.
    Your list will probably end up shredded and tossed off some mountain

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    So, guess what I am saying, is that I intend to be 1 of the 10, or 12 or 14 or whatever the # is!
    Why even worry about it? Just Have Fun. It seems like it might be unnecessary stress to worry about completing when you haven't even started and don't really know what to expect. Just Have Fun. If you stop having consistent fun, find something else to do and don't worry about whether or not you finished. The trail will still be there. (I highlighted consistent because there will be plenty of days that aren't fun, but overall you are still Having Fun. If you go for several days or a week and it feels like a chore and is no longer fun, start thinking of something else to do. You don't want to be in NH and hate every step of the way...)

In my opinion there is too much emphasis on success/failure. Just Have Fun. Too many hikers can get too wrapped up in that sentiment. Just Have Fun. Then if they have to get off the trail for whatever reason, they feel embarrassed because they didn't finish. What difference does it make? The trail will still be there the following year. Just Have Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    Good luch to the entire class of 2009!
    I'm with you in wishing Good Lunches to the entire class of 2009.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Deleted
    Last edited by rickb; 01-26-2009 at 20:44. Reason: Deleted because this is a private forum for 2009 hikers

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    but have to wonder if someone such as myself, a (will be in 2011) prior military member, wouldn't have at least an advantage on one aspect.

I've done plenty of six month deployments and even a couple of overseas tours
    I don't believe it is an advantage. It can be similar but the main difference is that a six month deployment isn't something you choose to do. You have to do it and have no choice in the matter. Even when it sucks there is nothing you can do about it. You get up at 0430 every morning so chow can be ready at 0600, etc. You just do it. Yes, it does become routine and you always manage to persevere, though.

A thru-hike is a choice and although it can become routine, it should most importantly be fun in my opinion. If it stops being fun, why make yourself continue? Once it stops being fun, for whatever reason, homesickness, excess rain/cold, tired of walking, being hungry, etc, you have a choice, unlike a deployment when you don't have one.

While hiking I thought of this analogy, but realized that I had the choice to continue or not. It took me 3 seasons to finish the trail (04-06 - I just took alot of zeroes...)I had fun.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Being stubborn by nature is a huge advantage. It may be the single most important factor.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

As I plan my 09 thru hike I am going into it just taking what comes. I would LOVE to make it to Katahdin but it isn't going anywhere. I will not push myself mileage wise and take it slow, especially in the beginning. I like the idea to make a list of reasons to finish the trail but I know what to expect and know myself pretty well that I MAY get homesick, sore feet (god damn plantar fasciitis). Knowing people are at home cheering me on will be a HUGE motivator!!

I am looking forward to the fitness/weight loss aspect of the hike!!!! AND meeting new people is always fun!

GOOD LUCK Class of 2009. Look forward to seeing you on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Just Have Fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Being stubborn by nature is a huge advantage. It may be the single most important factor.
    Equal parts of these along with picking a warmer start date and you can improve your chances.

And remember the adventure soon wears off and it becomes a job. Do it as long as your body cooperates (and you feed it and rest it proper) and keep your mind in the game (remember why you are doing it and think about whether that still matters). If you ever feel like quitting, take a zero or six and rest or do something else, then hit the trail again and see how you feel.

Above all else, do it for yourself and should you decide to finish early do not even think about how anyone else may look at your or your hike, especially the folks here.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    First off, odds are probably closer to 30 % now. A thru-hike is a difficult undertaking, but not impossible.

Some things to improve chances:
    Continue researching on this site as you've been doing
    start off slow and work up your mileage. Prevent injuries by gradually increasing mileage.
    Take days off when you need them.
    Have extra money for when things pop up (injury, sickness).
    Stay flexible, don't be married to a schedule. Likewise, avoid partnerships that will alter your trip. Stay true to what you want out of the hike, not what others want.
    Stay in touch with people at home, they can provide good motivation.
    Stick with your commitment. Sending out emails or starting a trailjournal or blog will put some "pressure" on you when things get tough.
    Keep your gearr really light
    Have fun. If you keep the mood light and stay thankful for the opportunity, it's just walking.

This is excellent advice.
    And all true...

Have a great trip, 2009'ers. I'm excited for you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

My hiking partner Evil Eye and I talked about this a lot during our 07 thru hikes. A few things we felt helped us.

1. Completing your thru hike has to be #1 on your lkist of things to do. There will be lots of time for other things once you are finished.

2. Get everything in order at home before you leave. You cant be on the trail for 6 months worreing about things at home. Take all of the mental load off before putting on your pack.

3. keep your goals small, resupply to resupply. Things on the trail have a way of taking care of themselves. To many hikers spend time thinking agout things far up the trail. Focus are where you, you will get there soon enough. Do not spend time worrying. Have fun every day

4. Start your hike with enought money to finish and some extra. Things come up that you will need money for and once your out of money your done. And stick to your budget. If you cant afford to stay in hotels and eat expensive food then don't do it. There are not many ways to make money on the trail. What ever your budget it will be enough.

5. Do not skip sections, no mater what anyone tells you. Once you start skipping sections you lose your focus. Take side trips if you want but not at the expense of skipping trail. Stand on Kathadin knowing in your heart that you walked all 2175 miles of the AT. This should be your #1 goal, SUCCESS

6. Enjoy everyday. Every monent will not be fun but you will have fun everyday. This is a once in a lifetime event for most people enjoy it. You are going to make memories that will last a life time. If you are like me it will be the best 6 months of your life.

Good luck, hope to see you on the trail.
    Pootz 07

Quote Originally Posted by Pootz View Post
    My hiking partner Evil Eye and I talked about this a lot during our 07 thru hikes. A few things we felt helped us.

1. Completing your thru hike has to be #1 on your lkist of things to do. There will be lots of time for other things once you are finished.

2. Get everything in order at home before you leave. You cant be on the trail for 6 months worreing about things at home. Take all of the mental load off before putting on your pack.

3. keep your goals small, resupply to resupply. Things on the trail have a way of taking care of themselves. To many hikers spend time thinking agout things far up the trail. Focus are where you, you will get there soon enough. Do not spend time worrying. Have fun every day

4. Start your hike with enought money to finish and some extra. Things come up that you will need money for and once your out of money your done. And stick to your budget. If you cant afford to stay in hotels and eat expensive food then don't do it. There are not many ways to make money on the trail. What ever your budget it will be enough.

5. Do not skip sections, no mater what anyone tells you. Once you start skipping sections you lose your focus. Take side trips if you want but not at the expense of skipping trail. Stand on Kathadin knowing in your heart that you walked all 2175 miles of the AT. This should be your #1 goal, SUCCESS

6. Enjoy everyday. Every monent will not be fun but you will have fun everyday. This is a once in a lifetime event for most people enjoy it. You are going to make memories that will last a life time. If you are like me it will be the best 6 months of your life.

Good luck, hope to see you on the trail.
    awesome post...

...it has been said that yellow blaze fever has tilted the stats, so if you get the fever, then don't hide it like many have before

My way of looking at it is one foot at a time. I am pretty stubborn too which doesn't hurt. I just finished up my itinerary this evening. I am planning a couple of week long hikes in the next 6 weeks to help with the first few weeks. The support that I am getting now is going to help me while I am out there. Good luck on your trip maybe we will meet on the trail.

lingo
    Class of '09

Default ways to increase chance for success

Joshua,

If you want to maximize your chances for successfully thru hiking the AT:

Allow enough time. Plan for 6 months at least. Some do it in four months but they tend to be doing high mileage (20 plus) with little time off. Hiking 30+ mile days is counter productive as it results in more zero days (I never did this but that is my observation of others).

Do a short (weekend or three day) hike first, maybe even a one week trek. This allows you to see if you really like backpacking and you have chance to iron out mistakes. If you don't like hiking after a week..imagine six months of that?

Keep checking in on white blaze like you have been doing. Lots of experts here with advice to offer.

Hike south to north if you can. If for no other reason, the highlight of the 100 mile wilderness and those first close up views of Katahdin makes the rest of the trip worth it! Of course..you have to get there first!

Expect that the trip is not always fun. There are days when it is wet and miserable and you are starved and everything is sopping wet. I found the occasional night in a motel to dry off and rest did wonders.

Have at least 5000 socked away. Yeah you could probably get by on less.. but why not have a cushion? some have quit because there money ran out.

Remember.. the more town time you take the more you will spend.

David

Jack has a good point...don't start before March 15. You will be faced with enough adversity on your trip w/o adding more.
    Other than that follow LoneWolf's advice...just walk.
    You will be cold, you will be hot, you will be wet, at times you'll wish you were wet, you will be hungry, you will be tired, you will be sore BUT everyone out there will experience these things also not just you and some of them will make it and some won't. People can overcome setbacks...it is usually attitude that will complete or end your hike. Have fun and walk...if you are not successful, it will be because YOU quit and went home not because of anyone else. Don't get too detailed ie:
    1. Start on or after March 15.
    2. Walk and have fun as much as possible.
    3. Touch the sign on top of Katahdin.
    That pretty much sums it up.

geek

Working on Forestry Grad schol

#1 Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Joshua,

If you want to maximize your chances for successfully thru hiking the AT:

Allow enough time. Plan for 6 months at least. Some do it in four months but they tend to be doing high mileage (20 plus) with little time off. Hiking 30+ mile days is counter productive as it results in more zero days (I never did this but that is my observation of others).

Do a short (weekend or three day) hike first, maybe even a one week trek. This allows you to see if you really like backpacking and you have chance to iron out mistakes. If you don't like hiking after a week..imagine six months of that?

Keep checking in on white blaze like you have been doing. Lots of experts here with advice to offer.

Hike south to north if you can. If for no other reason, the highlight of the 100 mile wilderness and those first close up views of Katahdin makes the rest of the trip worth it! Of course..you have to get there first!

Expect that the trip is not always fun. There are days when it is wet and miserable and you are starved and everything is sopping wet. I found the occasional night in a motel to dry off and rest did wonders.

Have at least 5000 socked away. Yeah you could probably get by on less.. but why not have a cushion? some have quit because there money ran out.

Remember.. the more town time you take the more you will spend.

David
    Thanks David.
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

Images

PMA...positive mental attitude...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Nothing wrong with that if one wants their "once in a lifetime hike" to be dictated by others wants and desires.
    I was thinking more along the lines Jan Leitschuh has posted. When one's will is weak, the remedy may be to draw upon the strength of another.

Groups can be good or bad on or off-trail. Be careful with whom you associate yourself especially in the early weeks. Many of the people you meet will quit. One or the worst things to do is to fall in with an unhappy camper.

1) Download my one-page book from my website and read/ponder it several times

and/or

2) Attend the Appalachian Trail Institute at least one year before your planned thru-hike.

Happy trails!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++