WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Southbounders?

Default Southbounders?

i know its normally mostly northbounders, but a friend and i are southbounders this year and i just wanna see who else (and how many) i can expect to be making the trip with us. if you are one of us, i would like to know when you plan on leaving too. we're looking at late may most likely.

Images

SOBOs are few but strong.

May is pretty early, especially with as much snow as they've had this year. (I left at the beginning of July, which was pretty good in terms of weather, water, and bugs.) Good luck!

SOBOs Rule!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I am scheduled for June 15, but will wait for a later start if the weather / snow melt / stream levels require it. My start date is based on allowing a full six months, but being home in South Georgia before Christmas. Check the SOBO forums and the 2009 spreadsheet and you will get a good feel for who is starting when. A lot of people wait for July 1 or later to let the black flies and stream levels subside.

I'm heading SOBO too, but probably not until July, so I doubt I'll run into you since I'm a slowpoke. Good luck, though!
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Images

SOBO's!

We sobo'd last year starting June 13th....good luck 2009 sobo's!

Splitting time between Utah and Maryland and a lot of off the wall places in this world.

Default Sobo In June

Hi Folks,
    I'm prepping for a June start o/a the 1st, but that may slide a bit to the right. Any thoughts on the weather this year in ME.

I know the bugs will welcome me with open arms (sic), but I need to step off NLT 15 June at the worst.

Look forward to hearing back.

Lemhi

Quote Originally Posted by Lemhi View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I'm prepping for a June start o/a the 1st, but that may slide a bit to the right. Any thoughts on the weather this year in ME.

I know the bugs will welcome me with open arms (sic), but I need to step off NLT 15 June at the worst.

Look forward to hearing back.

Lemhi
    Any time the first 2 weeks of June is a great time to head south

well lemhi, im guessing i'll be seeing you somewhere along the way if not right in the begining. we are probably going to head out first week of june it looks like now as some things have had to be rearranged. im looking forward to being driven insane by black flies

Splitting time between Utah and Maryland and a lot of off the wall places in this world.

Default Southbounders

Lemhi Aye.

You won't miss me....6'5" 260-ish (and dropping fast) great yellow pack, bug shirt and slathered in bug juice. I expect you'll confuse me for a moose.....hence the yellow pack.

In Nigeria now heading home April time frame.

Look forward to it.

Lemhi

Images

I am SOBO too...starying july 1st!! YAY!!

Images

Starting June 30th.

I left on July 1, and had great weather for the most part. Shouldn't have spent so much time in towns, but otherwise could have finished around mid-December. Early-mid June starters got straight-torn up by blackflies from what I understand.

I really, really wish I could sneak off for another SOBO hike this year. It's the only way to roll, for me at least.

I'm planning a mid-June start myself and am really looking forward to being alone and also to making some good friends, too. I hope I get a chance to meet some of ya'll from Whiteblaze along the way!
    Not all those who wander are lost... well, I mean I kinda roughly know where we are... East is definitely that way... right?

++ New Posts ++