WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tent Recommendations (for hiking w/dog)

Okay so after weighing my tent (7.5lbs! ) I need to find something much much much lighter.

So I am looking for recommendations -and I posted this in the "dog" forum because my primary concern is that the tent is for both myself and my 50lb boxer and I need something that will be:

a) big enough for the two of us;
    b) has a floor (the tarp thing just won't work with my snake paranoia);
    c) durable enough (ie will withstand dog toenails);
    d) doesn't cost three fortunes.

Any suggestions?
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Haven't got my dog yet (this summer), but I plan on using a Hubba Hubba. Plenty of room for me, my gear and a pad for the dog.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Might be a better idea for you to buy a lighter (solo?) tent and use a separate silnylon tarp for your dog? If you want your dog in the tent with you, I'd suggest you don't go ultralight as most ul tents have thin nylon floors with thin coatings, something your dog's nails would tear up in a hurry.

Sierra Trading Post always has a few odd Sierra Designs tents with thicker floors.
    Btw: Will this be mostly for warmer weather or cooler? Is any winter use expected. That will also be a major factor in choosing a tent, dog or not.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-28-2009 at 12:04. Reason: added text
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Strictly 3 season use.

And I'd really prefer that she be in the same tent with me (she's slept with me since she's been 11 weeks old - I don't think she would adapt well to being separated at night)

I was considering carrying (in addition to a ground cloth) a runner-like piece of tyvek to using inside the tent that might help protect the floor where the dog would walk.

I'll check out Sierra
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

Journal Entries
    Images

Check these out: Tarptent and Six Moon Designs.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but both have very good tents. There are probably floor options as well. Your dog might be able to stay under the vestibule.

If the dog must stay inside with you, consider a lightweight tent and instead of a 'ground cloth', cut a tarp to fit inside the tent to protect the floor from toenail punctures. This might be lighter than a tent with a heavier floor. Also, if, for whatever reason, you have to send the dog home, all you will have to do is get rid of the extra cut-up tarp piece. Just something to think about.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WritinginCT View Post
    I was considering carrying (in addition to a ground cloth) a runner-like piece of tyvek to using inside the tent that might help protect the floor where the dog would walk.
    Oh, I see you already thought of that. Good idea.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

The Eureka Zeus 2 might work, I know RiverWarriorPJ and his dog Zeus use this tent.
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

Default Another recommendation for Tarptent

I was looking to lighten up my shelter as well, but had worries about getting a lightweight tent or tarptent with my German Shepherd's crazy toenails. So, I called up Henry Shires at Tarptent and he told me that he has never encountered problems from dogs in their tents with silnylon floors. He commonly hikes with their 50lb dog and has never had a problem.

In the end, I picked up a tarptent, and took it out with a friend and his golden retriever. No problems yet, though I'll be interested to see how it holds up to my GSD.

If you are worried, I think the additional Tyvek runner is a great idea. Another great component of tarptents, is that, if something DID happen, I'm pretty certain that you can replace the floor instead of the entire shelter.

I hope this helps!

Images

Great idea RE: Tyvek.

As a general suggestion, try to clip the dog's toenails as short as possible before the hike.

When I hiked with dog and tent, I used to bring along a small piece of wool blanket. The dog would sleep on this, but it also helped to protect the floor of the tent from his nails.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

In thinking this through a bit, I would think you'd need a two person tent with the most vertical walls you could get, otherwise the dog will be wiping down the inner walls of the tent and donating all that moisture to you. A dome (two poles at least) tent is probably the way to go, and I doubt you'll get one big enough that weighs less than 5 lbs. (trail wt. w/ stakes and sacks). My SD Aurora CD is an all season tent with a large and small vestibule which weighs around 6 lbs. (don't believe the weights you read from the manufacturer, read some owner reviews, if possible).
    Two poles, mesh walls, and a good sized vestibule would probably be a good starting point for a three season tent. A synthetic bag might be a good idea, too, as you'll have to wash it more often than someone who doesn't sleep with their dog. Treat the bag (the outside, at least) and your clothing with Permethrin for ticks, as well as using a tick and flea treatment on your dog.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I've been using a Six Moon Designs Lunar off and on for about 4 years now; plenty big enough for me, my 40 - 45 lb mutt and all my gear. Got the "heavy duty" floor, 70 denier IIRC. So far no problems.

We use a Hubba and it seems to work out. He likes the vestibule which is nice because then he is not tracking mud etc over bag etc. He comes and goes as he wants. Mostly likes to sit look and listen even in the rain/ sleet as it was doing here. Has his own pad, water etc.

Another possibility:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27167

Campmor is another great place to look at many tents.

Check out LL Bean and Cabela's, too. Cabela's has a nice tent that has good reviews.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by Rouen View Post
    The Eureka Zeus 2 might work, I know RiverWarriorPJ and his dog Zeus use this tent.
    I bought one of these used on Whiteblaze for $50. It's plenty big inside for a person, a dog, and a pack (I have a Golden Retriever). The weight is somewhere between 4 and 5 lbs I think, and it packs down small thanks to the shorter sections on the dome poles. We've just done a couple of overnight hikes with it so I can't comment on how the floor holds up with a dog's paws over time, but so far no problems.

I also like my Ozark Trail Jr. Dome Tent. For $13, if you punch a hole in the floor you can just go buy a new one.

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2

Plenty of room for you, gear, and a wet dog. Not too much weight either.

If you can fit the Seehouse SL1 is obviously lighter, but it could get annoying with a wet dog.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Images

My wife and I used to hike with our 75 pound shephard when he was younger.
    When we were all together we used either a Sierra Designs Sirius 3. There is also a 2 person version of this tent. Also, we've used a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
    When one of us would go solo with our dog we'd use a Tarptent Rainbow.
    Hope that helps.

Images

I hike with a 70-lb lab who sleeps in the tent with me. We use a BA pre-production Emerald Mtn SL2 tent. I believe the material is the type they use on the EM SL2, with the top cross bar like the Copper Spur.

Having said that, either of those two models have pretty steep walls (so the dog isn't on the tent a whole lot.) The tent has two big vestibules.

Having a dog sleeping in the tent, I would make the following observations:
    1) Make sure you have a double walled tent! The dog will bump the tent, and the double wall will stop the "rainfall" that would come from a single wall.
    2) Carry a cut down z-rest or foam pad for your dog. It provides insulation for the dog, and also keeps the nails off the tent floor. (Mine has a bag, too.)
    3) Take a chamois cloth with you to dry off your dog, wipe the dogs feet, etc. I use it for a lot of other etc.
    4) Train your dog to not enter or exit the tent without your ok. My dog enters one paw at a time while I wiipe off her paws.
    5) I use a footprint (ground cloth) that extends into the vestibule area to help facilitate keeping the tent cleaner. If it is blowing rain, I just roll it up to the edge of the tent once we're inside.
    6) Keep your dog's nails trimmed, starting way before your hike. I carry a big emory board to take off any snags.
    7) I also put my pack/loose materials in the floor space of the tent in the left over area that our pads don't cover.

I know its more than you asked... but its free!

Wow! Lots of stuff for me to investigate (it'll keep me busy tomorrow seeing as how we just got snow and freezing rain today- I'm not going anywhere lol)

Thanks gang!
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

Images

I believe that a double wall, two man, two vestibule tent is the most practical to use with a dog because you can have your gear in 1 vestibule, your dog can sleep inside with you (when clean), or in the other vestibule when wet / dirty. Most two man tents with this design have doors on both sides which make coming and going easier, and better ventilated.

The brand, model, & weight are up to you.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++