WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Keeping your feets warm at Night

Hi everone my feet get cold when i am sleeping not a big at home i just put on a pair of old wool socks i have. I was thinking about bring them with me. What to you folks do to help keep your feets warm at night Thank

Images

I wear a hat, & oversize wool socks or down booties. Keep your socks loose so you don't constrict the blood flow in your feet.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I HATE cold feet! I have a special pair of "sleep socks." Nice fluffy wool socks that are not used for hiking. That way they stay fluffy and dry. Sometimes, I stick my feet inside a fleece jacket for extra warmth. Since I use a 3/4 pad on the ground in the winter, I put my pack under my feet for insulation from the ground.
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    Hi everone my feet get cold when i am sleeping not a big at home i just put on a pair of old wool socks i have. I was thinking about bring them with me. What to you folks do to help keep your feets warm at night Thank
    boil some water,let it cool off for a few minutes,pour the water into a nalgene or water bottle with a good sealable lid, throw the bottle into your sleeping bag down by your feet. great hot water bottle. being inside your insulated sleeping bag allows the heat from the bottle to slowly release, lasting a few hours

I keep a pair of "sacred" socks in the same stuff sack as my sleeping bag. These are only used for sleeping. Always dry. Nice to look forward to on a cold night or after a day of wet slogging.

Images

Down booties... weigh about two oz more than if I kept a pair of designated socks...

Virginia Tortoise

Iron Oxide hand warmers. Throw one or two in your bag and it will warm up by 10 degrees.

Default A smart move....

When preparing for my hike with began 3/1 I talked to a young from MS State Univ who had thru'd in 07. He told me to be sure and carry sleeping socks. I hadn't though about it till then. So I took his advice and it was a smart move. I never used these socks for anything but sleeping and they stayed inside my sleeping bag until I wasshed them with my other things. I also carried a very light, almost silk weight polyester insulated underwear. These too always stayed packed inside my sleeping bag. Several times I was glad I had them.

Enjoy your hike.

Images

Wool socks. Shelters were littered last year with those chemical warmers. If you can pack em in, please pack em out.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

make sure your socks are dry...even socks that are just a little damp actually makes your feet colder than no socks at all.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Ditto with the sleeping socks and the hot-water-Nalgene. If my feet are cold when I put on my sleeping socks, they never will warm up on their own. I've got to warm them by some other means.

If you go the hot-water-Nalgene route, after you fill it and screw on the top, turn it upside down and shake it a bit. If it drips at all, dry it off, tighten, and test it again. You really, really don't want it to leak in your sleeping bag.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I, too, carry a pair of socks that are only used around camp and to bed when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post

If you go the hot-water-Nalgene route, after you fill it and screw on the top, turn it upside down and shake it a bit. If it drips at all, dry it off, tighten, and test it again. You really, really don't want it to leak in your sleeping bag.
    Also wouldn't be a bad idea to put the nalgene in a ziploc. Can't hurt.

Images

Dry wool socks. Add down booties if it's below about 15-F overnight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Acorn polartec socks are nice too.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

During real winter (January qualifies, even though I'm talking about North Carolina), I bring a pair of Smartwool thick socks, plus a pair of Acorn fleece socks to go over them. One of these years I might spring for down booties.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    The Acorn polartec socks are nice too.
    Yea, I have a pair of them. You can walk around in them too because they have a light weight soul of sorts on the bottom.
    But they are heavier than socks.

Panzer

Images

button up my down vest put it over the end of my sleeping bag, gives a little more coverage for my feet, won't work for you skinny minnies
    yaaah multi-functional
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I've been cold in a sleeping bag before but I don't remember my feet being cold. I always sleep barefoot. I carry down booties in winter but take them off once it's time for bed.

I never realized others were different.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Spare socks, hot water bottle, and rain pants over my feet have down the trick. I also put my pack, and any other insulation under my legs and feet to get them off the ground. I also took neoprene socks for the last month of my SOBO thru-hike, but those got pretty juicy after a few days. Warm though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++