WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default internal vs external frame backpack

Hey, are there any advantages, disadvantages, or major differences between an external frame and an internal frame backpack?

Images

An external frame pack is much cooler in warm weather as there is less surface contact between the pack and your back. Internals, if fitted properly, tend to ride better with more stability because they flex better. Then there's the weight! External frame packs weigh more.

I recommend adjustable external frame packs to my scouts, mostly because they fit the best and can adjust as the scout grows. At 16 you are probably not going to get much taller, so there are many more options with internal frame packs.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've seen both on the trail. Whatever works with comfort, weight and your pack contents. Though I do like being able to put my sleeping bag inside with an internal whereas, with an external, it usually has to go on the outside (esp if you use a synthetic bag).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Back in the day, "they" used to recommend external frame packs for larger, heavier loads on established trails, and internal frame packs for lighter loads and bushwhacking/climbing (hikes where a frame could catch on brush/rocks and cause problems).

Personally, I like the fact that I can organize my gear in the pockets of an external frame pack. And you don't HAVE to fill the darn thing up with "stuff", even if you have the space for "stuff". But, if you want to stay out in the woods longer than 3-5 days, you would have room for lots of extra food in an external frame pack.

I also tend to sweat A LOT, so the extra ventilation that I get with the external frame is a BIG plus for me.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Back in the day, "they" used to recommend external frame packs for larger, heavier loads on established trails, and internal frame packs for lighter loads and bushwhacking/climbing (hikes where a frame could catch on brush/rocks and cause problems).

Personally, I like the fact that I can organize my gear in the pockets of an external frame pack. And you don't HAVE to fill the darn thing up with "stuff", even if you have the space for "stuff". But, if you want to stay out in the woods longer than 3-5 days, you would have room for lots of extra food in an external frame pack.

I also tend to sweat A LOT, so the extra ventilation that I get with the external frame is a BIG plus for me.
    my first hike on the A.T. wasn't til spring of 98' but i planned,researched all the time! i bought gear from 94'-98' some of my gear was 3 years old before i used it. all i ever heard or read was the external was the perfect backpack for the appalachian trail. to each his own,but i love my externals. i adopted a internal at christmas. might try it might not

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Externals are old skool, so they have that awesomeness going for them. You can tie and strap all kinds of stuff onto the outside of it, orginization is easier with the multiple pockets, they're cooler, and less expensive. But they weigh more, and don't ride as well. Plus having all your stuff outside your pack isn't good; my sleeping bag has gotten soaked a few times because of that.

I've only ever used an external (only ever had one pack), though I just bought an internal that has not yet been trail tested.

I used an external frame for the thru in 05.. It was a newer design by Luxury Lite. The pack and front pack weighs a little over two pounds, and it's unique design allows the pack frame to self adjust to your height. i really liked it.. Check it out at Luxurylite.com

Images

I carried an external for many years. It's easier to pack, carries heavy loads better (food for long trips), cooler in summer, takes a little practice to get comfortable with how the weight will shift in various situations - once you develop this comfort it becomes a non-issue. Most externals are heavier. They last forever, are more adjustable. One added advantage is that they can be propped up, making an extremely comfortable backrest for breaks or at camp. Can also lean a bunch up in a line to form a very effective wind break when above tree line.

With all that said, I now carry a ULA internal frame pack. The weight difference is just to big to ignore for most backpacking, especially on the AT. If someone would come out with an external frame that came close to the weight of an internal (and made it reasonably priced) I would probably go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I carried an external for many years. It's easier to pack, carries heavy loads better (food for long trips), cooler in summer, takes a little practice to get comfortable with how the weight will shift in various situations - once you develop this comfort it becomes a non-issue. Most externals are heavier. They last forever, are more adjustable. One added advantage is that they can be propped up, making an extremely comfortable backrest for breaks or at camp. Can also lean a bunch up in a line to form a very effective wind break when above tree line.

With all that said, I now carry a ULA internal frame pack. The weight difference is just to big to ignore for most backpacking, especially on the AT. If someone would come out with an external frame that came close to the weight of an internal (and made it reasonably priced) I would probably go for it.
    great response Lyle,enough said! i was given a ULA p2 pack for free, to try out on my thruhike this year. i haven't decided yet.

The only problem with externals is that very few companies make them anymore.

I've done 2 thrus, 1 external, 1 internal...I'm hoping to go again in 2010...external.
    My external's weight isn't that different than internals, I've never had a wet sleeping bag with either but the deciding factor is that the external is so much more comfortable. Just my opinion.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I've done 2 thrus, 1 external, 1 internal...I'm hoping to go again in 2010...external.
    My external's weight isn't that different than internals, I've never had a wet sleeping bag with either but the deciding factor is that the external is so much more comfortable. Just my opinion.

geek
    Hey Jim, what external are you referring to?

The lighter internals are lighter than most externals, but many internals are heavier. My Granite Gear is 3lbs, my old external just under 5, and my Dana aroud 7. Guess which stays in the closet except for winter trips.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Hey Jim, what external are you referring to?
    Peak 1 in 1990, Peak 1 frame/suspension with a silnylon pack bag now. The frame flexes with your body so you kinda get the advantages of the movement with your body like an internal but the comfort of an external.
    BTW, my external weight in 1990 was 72lbs on Springer (young and stupid!)...got it down to 42lbs by Hot Springs. My internal weight in 2002 was 32lbs. My current external is 28lbs w/ 4 days food and 1 liter of water, 1 liter of whiskey. My current internal weight is only 1 lb less but the external is so much more comfortable.

geek

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I used to carry a Universal External Frame pack, made by a company named Uniquip, that I picked up at the Alameda Navy Exchange in 1970. In 1984, the frame broke during a PCT hike. The company replaced the frame with no questions asked. It is a nice pack.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

And here is a link for a backpack for those who want to be able to run their Ipods.
    http://stat.dealtime.com/DealFrame/D...T=1000&VK=&op=

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    great response Lyle,enough said! i was given a ULA p2 pack for free, to try out on my thruhike this year. i haven't decided yet.
    Hey, CrumbSnatcher....you taking a 4-legged partner this year?
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Hey, CrumbSnatcher....you taking a 4-legged partner this year?
    i never had a better time hiking, than all the miles i hiked with my bear(dog). someday i will have another,but it is still not the right time for that. i might bring her ashes with me im not sure? i will someday spinkle her on and around the trail but for now im sort of being selfish not wanting to let go! if i take her she might be in the pack the whole way.(when i do sprinkle her ashes i don't know whether to spread the ashes in more than one place?) i feel guilty that i haven't gone down to the pound and rescue a dog yet,i'm just not ready. hope you and the family are well.

Crumb,
    You'll know when the time is right....just wait for it....no hurry.

BTW, my mother always supported my adventures no matter how crazy. She was more than just my mom, she was also a great friend. When she passed, I took her ashes with me on the PCT and spread a few in really beautiful places, but not all of them...I still carry some with me in my pack on every trip and still look for those beautiful spots that I know she would like..spread a little in each spot.

geek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++