WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to go?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Where to go?

I just rec'd my severance package from the Salt Mine.

It was not unexpected. I only wish it happened NEXT month.

Being hiker trash, my first thought was "where should I go hiking ???"

Since I am organizing the Rockies Ruck Mar 6th - 8th, I better be there for that.

How is the BMT or the Pinhoti Trail this time of the year? I am thinking that things in my neck of the woods are still a bit too snowy! Perhaps even Arizona/Utah as well? OF course, I may hike after the Ruck too.

Suge suggested Nepal..but, the flight is a bit out of my budget.

Just brainstorming...and I know people out here may have some ideas.
    I've always wanted to do the BMT...who knows.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

How about considering several shorter warmer than where U R hikes rather than 1 longer one and stiil be back for the Ruck? I'll give U 4 destinations, all quite different, with only one being a lengthier hike - Big Bend, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, and Channels NPs. I feel no pity for U Mags - living in Boulder, money and time to hike. SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I feel no pity for U Mags - living in Boulder, money and time to hike. SOB.

That's why I love living here! My hiker trash friends AND my Boulder friends are all congratulating me.

Good ideas. I drive a pickup with a camper shell. Dirt bagging it and visiting NPs is an idea, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

A Pinhoti/BMT thru might be in order. You'll have several offers for places to crash at the start and shuttle(s) if needed. Drop me a line if you need anything...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

head north.. if you have that kinda time. You could jump on the ferry in Seattle.. or go all the way up to Rupert ( what we just did ) and head to Alaska from there. there is no place like Alaska in the Spring and summer.. it just takes a LONG time getting here..haha

All good ideas.

I've been wanting to do the BMT for a while. At my pace, a little over 2 wk hike is very feasible. Factor in seeing people. Get back in time for last minute Ruck coordination.

I could drive to NC, maybe park my truck somewhere start in the Smokies and end at Springer Mtn. It has been 11 yrs since I've seen that mountain.

Alaska sounds cool too. We'll see how long my funemployment bout is...
    Last edited by Mags; 02-03-2009 at 17:56.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The BMT is great this time of year. The best views are in winter, although the best wildflower time is in late April - early May. No bugs. Low humidity. Very few backpackers.

The Pinhoti is another gem. The Alabama section is my favorite.

Send me a PM or give me a call if you want more info or a shuttle. It would be great to see you here in the SE.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I can recommend Big Bend this time of year. The River Road makes a good bike ride (check out the canyon at the west end), plus there is hiking in the mountains that you can incorporate. If you go there, be sure to visit the hot springs. Was nice when I was there in the early 90's - nothing fancy, just the ruins of an old Spa. Sits right in the river so you can climb over a short cement wall to switch back and forth from hot spring water to cold river water. Also some superb astronomy observing in the area.

Wherever you go, have fun.

another cool trail is the Canol trail NOT in the Spring though. it is in the Northwest territories ( I think ) I know folks who have done it and say it is pretty amazing. You know what you could do which would be very VERY different but $$ would be to fly into Whitehorse in the Yukon (beyond beautiful ) watch the quest mushers leave and check out Haines Junction , Skagway, Haines etc. Now THAT would be a trip ! White horse is about the most gorgeous place on the planet...something special.

All good ideas. Texas was not even on my mental radar until this post! And I hear Big Bend is awesome.

Depending, I am thinking of the Great Divide Trail in Canada. I was planning in summer of 2010...it just may be bumped up.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I can recommend Big Bend this time of year. If you go there, be sure to visit the hot springs.
    I second that!

Hay Mags where is the Rockys ruck this year. Thx Greg

yeah, i have the gdt on my list too. A friend is going out this year... be cool to hear what he has to say. There is the Tct trail too...parts of that are done.

All the deets at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/message/212

From Denver, it is an easy day trip too if you just want to come in for the day/evening. Most of the main events happen on Saturday.

I should be slightly thinner (hiking for 2 weeks or so) and very excited because I'll probably be leaving on another trip.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-03-2009 at 18:13.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Someone who observes and writes as well as you do, would be a fine candidate for becoming the "Earl Shaffer" (i.e. first recognized thru-hiker) of http://www.greateasterntrail.net/ We'll not hope your bout of unemployment lasts long enough to get further down your list, but we'll be around if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I've always wanted to do the BMT...who knows.
    you answered your own question. sorry about your loss.

hi crumb.. hows' things ?

The Ouachita Trail in Arkansas and Oklahoma would be pretty, as would the Ozark Trail in MO.

It's not to late for the Florida Trail. Chance for some really nice photos.

Images

Why not hike the Hudson River Trail? Start at the northern end of Manhattan, walk south down the riverfront and then keep going across the Brooklyn Bridge all the way through BK and ending at Coney Island. There you can have a famous Nathan's hotdog. Great resupply along the way including some of the best pizzeria's, chinese, thai and indian. I'll slack you and put you up at the A-Train hostel.

C'mon Mags, I know you like to eat. Bet the Italian is better than what they're passing off in CO.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++