WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trekking Poles

Images

Default Trekking Poles

I want to buy trekking poles. They wont keep me warm and dry. I am trying to cut costs on my gear purchase. I have owned the wally world cheapos. They are seriously junk. I am hoping that they will have the rei carbon fiber poles on sale for 50bucks for a whiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    I want to buy trekking poles. They wont keep me warm and dry. I am trying to cut costs on my gear purchase. I have owned the wally world cheapos. They are seriously junk. I am hoping that they will have the rei carbon fiber poles on sale for 50bucks for a whiles.
    Well, they are down to $53 http://www.rei.com/product/756152. I relaly like the sound of these, 11.2 oz!

Quote Originally Posted by rp1790 View Post
    Well, they are down to $53 http://www.rei.com/product/756152. I relaly like the sound of these, 11.2 oz!
    YMMV. Check the reviews.

My advice is to invest in BD flicklocks. The Trail poles were on sale at rei outlet for ~$50.

Check SAC as well, they've had 'em for $38.

My experience (very limited) is that the twist locks suck and flick locks rule.

Although many on here will disagree, some stongly, I also recomend the Black Diamond poles.
    I have the spire elliptical one with the twistlock feature, they have never collapsed with me , and I'm 260 lbs.

I like the fore and aft strength of these pole, alot less flex than my Leki's.

I should add that my only real experience with twist locks comes from Wal-mart poles, and trying the ones I saw in gear shops. I swore off twist locks after noticing that they ones I saw in gear shops rarely worked. Or I couldn't figure them out.

Images

Hey Trail Ronin, I love your avatar I must have watched it laughing for about a minute befor I snapped out of it.

There's alot of truth in that avatar....

I'll tell you a story if I meet you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by trail ronin View Post
    Although many on here will disagree, some stongly, I also recomend the Black Diamond poles.
    I have the spire elliptical one with the twistlock feature, they have never collapsed with me , and I'm 260 lbs.

I like the fore and aft strength of these pole, alot less flex than my Leki's.
    I meant to say "Flick locks"

Images

I have the REI Peak UL poles. Don't get the shock absorber ones, the carbon fiber seems to soak it up. I had some collapsing issues at first but got in the habit of torquing em down at the first couple of breaks. Wouldn't have to mess with them for the rest of the hike. $53 rocks, especially if you live by an REI. I weigh ~215 and have got them stuck and fallen on em etc but never broke. I did snap the twist lock on one after I got my tarp tent. I sent it back to REI for repair and they sent me a brand new set.

btw, I had the shock absorbing ones initially and felt like I was loosing some oomf while digging in on up hills. YMMV.

Since buying them I have managed to cut my pack weight sufficiently that I (my knees) don't really need them any more but I still like using them.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks View Post
    YMMV. Check the reviews.

My advice is to invest in BD flicklocks. The Trail poles were on sale at rei outlet for ~$50.

Check SAC as well, they've had 'em for $38.

My experience (very limited) is that the twist locks suck and flick locks rule.
    I agree with the Flicklocks. You can adjust them with mittens on.

I have used my Coleman poles for two years now. Cheap and sturdy.

Another agreement with flicklocks.

BC

Images

Oh, I thought this was a thread about people from Poland who hike.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rp1790 View Post
    I just went to REI today and got a pair of those for my girlfriend.
    (Her birthday's coming up soon...)
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

I got a pair of the REI Carbon poles for $54 a month ago. I did a 18-mile day hike on ice with a 25# pack last week. They collapsed 2x in the first mile, but then I really torqued the twist lock down, and no problems afterward, despite some serious loads.

My previous pair are some 10-year old Leki Makalu shockabsorbers with ~5000miles of serious hard rock scrambling on them. I love them like my brother, and will continue to use them in rough conditions, but I love the light weight REI poles for trail hiking.

I was at a WalMart on thursday night. They have a new kind of trekking pole. This WMart did not have the old swiss gears pieces of crap. When I went this time they had poles that had the flick style lock. They feel lighter than the Swiss Gears and surprisingly well made. Though I didn't get to trail test them yet. These new ones are Outdoor Products, the more common wal mart brand that makes the awesome stuff sacks 3 pack that everyone has.

They were 13 a piece I think. So 26 for the set.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ramble~On View Post
    Oh, I thought this was a thread about people from Poland who hike.
    Hiking Polska!

My paternal grandma's birthplace:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Galiz20.gif
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

All I can say is I've tried the Komperdells with twist joints and they are weaker and liable to fail compared to a solid pole. Some times they are defective straight from the store. In normal use they might work, but it is when you fall and need a great amount of pole strength that they are liable fail on you, because they have built-in flaws (joints).

Andrew Skurka and others use solid poles for a reason. Hiking on the PCT last fall I spoke with a thru-hiker using a solid pole as well. The trade off is that you can't adjust the length.

whatever you do buy a cheap pair of poles. i broke one of my black diamonds with the flick lock 3 days into the hundred mile wilderness and 4 days into my thru hike. my buddy had the 150 leki's and one of his broke the second day of his thru hike. eventually i got my pack weight down to where i didnt need poles. but i saw alot of people with the walmart poles or other cheap ones. my buddy actually picked up a pair of ski poles from the twelve tribes in rutland, vt. and they were strong the only downside was that they didn't collapse. whatever you buy be prepared for it to break.
    a happy boddhitsva

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll stick with the Swiss ones. I bought my pair at Gander Mtn. But tonight I was at Wal-Mart and saw the new hiking trek poles they are selling. They looked swell. I think I'll get a pair of them also.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++