WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

$150 for a "NeoAir" huh?

Guess I'll be sleeping on my BA "retroair" for a while yet.

Sucker is light though, I'll give them that.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Hike smarter, not harder.

It amazes me that BA, Exped, and POE have had a product essentially like this for years, but suddenly when Thermarest comes out with it at an outrageous price, everyone wants one. I guess it's the "Great Big Bertha" theory of marketing.

Really ? a full size 2" thick , * 2.5 mat for around 13 oz ?
    Which one ?
    Franco

that was meant to be * 2.5

Oh dear, it does not like the letter *

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

I am a sucker who likes cool new products... also looking for a lightweight sleeping pad. I'll come out and say that I'll probably buy it when it hits the shelves.
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

The Neoair would never work for me since its Rvalue is so low. And yet Thermarest says "Unrivaled Warmth! Three times warmer than uninsulated air mattresses." Three times warmer? At a 2.5 Rvalue?? The Prolite 4 is 3.8 and it barely works by itself on snow and ice. I question their wisdom.

Default Like for like

The simple answer is that if you find it too expensive or ...whatever, don't buy it, but the Thermarest blurb is factual.

What they state is that it is 3x warmer than a non insulated mat, in other words what is available from other manufacturers in a comparable stored size and similar weight, not 3x warmer than your mat ....
    Keep in mind that the Neo is 14 oz (not 13 as I quoted from the top of my head..) , the Prolite 4 is 24 oz

My question was : what mat do you know of that is 2" thick, 14 oz and rated 2.5 ? and should have added stores to that kind of size (9"x4") ?
    You can get a similar rating from a close cell foam mat but it doesn't fold to a Nalgene 1 L size, neither is 2" thick...
    Franco

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

My question was : what mat do you know of that is 2" thick, 14 oz and rated 2.5 ? and should have added stores to that kind of size (9"x4") ?
    You can get a similar rating from a close cell foam mat but it doesn't fold to a Nalgene 1 L size, neither is 2" thick...
    Franco
    I don't know of anything like it. I've had two back surgeries, and may someday need to see another sawbones for my neck. I need "thick and wide". For 19 ounces for 2.5" x 25" x 77", ANY Rfactor is a bonus imo. I can always put a blue pad under it.

I can put up with a lot during the day... wet feet, bad food, a blister or two, sore shoulders, smelly..... whatever (did I mention smelly), but please let me SLEEP in comfort!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    That's pretty good advice. I bought a Vega the first year they were out.

I guess some of us don't even learn the hard way.
    Aluminum block. Cracked before 60,000 miles.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The simple answer is that if you find it too expensive or ...whatever, don't buy it, but the Thermarest blurb is factual.

What they state is that it is 3x warmer than a non insulated mat, in other words what is available from other manufacturers in a comparable stored size and similar weight, not 3x warmer than your mat ....
    Keep in mind that the Neo is 14 oz (not 13 as I quoted from the top of my head..) , the Prolite 4 is 24 oz

Franco
    Who uses a non-insulated mat? Those old air mattresses of the 1950s?? They're used now in swimming pools. A two inch pad might be comfy but similar 2 inch pads are at least closer to 4.5 Rvalue. I use an Expedition 1.75 inch at 4.4 Rvalue at around 3 pounds. Works great on snow. On my next trip I'm taking out a real 2 inch pad at 6.1 Rvalue and around 3.11 pounds. ULers read it and weep.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Who uses a non-insulated mat? Those old air mattresses of the 1950s?? They're used now in swimming pools. A two inch pad might be comfy but similar 2 inch pads are at least closer to 4.5 Rvalue. I use an Expedition 1.75 inch at 4.4 Rvalue at around 3 pounds. Works great on snow. On my next trip I'm taking out a real 2 inch pad at 6.1 Rvalue and around 3.11 pounds. ULers read it and weep.
    If I camped on snow I would likely want one.
    What do you use for comfort in July?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    So.... 3.11 pounds > 14 ounces?

I take my 4 lb parka backpacking too. It's WAY warmer than that silly 12 ounce rain jacket...
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Skinewmexico, I'm w/ Franco on this one. I would really like to know what you know. Show me a BA, Exped, or POE inflatable pad w/ the same or similar specs as the Neo Thermarest specs at 9 ozs for a Shortie length.

Tipi Walter and friends
    Thermarest are not pitching the Neo at would-be polar explorers nor Everest climbers, it is a 3 season mat for folk that like ( or need) some comfort but don't particularly enjoy walking with a 50 lbs pack . Call them weird , sissies or whatever but I am one of them.
    As for "air mattresses of the 50's" well, no you are the one out of date here. In the last decade or so there is been a concentrated effort in designing lighter weight mats, fo example recently Big Agnes have released the Air Core series (5 sizes) 22oz for the 72', and the Clear View (7 sizes) 15 oz for the 72" version. I am pretty sure that they would not put 12 uninsulated mats out if there was no market for them.
    But yes you are correct, your mats are warmer, just totally irrelevant to this thread.
    Franco

Default Part 2

The other point of reference, comparing like for like, is Pacific Outdoor.
    It offers 6 mats, 3 different types (Ether Compact6/9 and Tropics) all uninsulated and all heavier than the Neo.
    Exped also have the Air Mat series, 5 sizes, 28oz for the 72" size.
    And here in 2009 not 1952.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    Generallly not a good idea to buy something the first year it comes out. Example being the hyperflow, i love thermarests, and own a msr sweetwater. Sometimes large companys are so anxious to get the new product out there. They really dont get the bugs worked out!
    I have heard from one of the testers of the NeoAior and he absolutely loves it. Apparently, they have gone through a pretty rigorous testing period of 3-4 years.

Images

I'd put my Exped Downmat 9 against any Thermarest for cold winter comfort. Weight is not an issue for me in the winter, safety is.

im getting one from REI when it comes out, and if it sucks ill return it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyjo View Post
    Weight is not an issue for me in the winter, safety is.
    I know someone will, ahem, correct me if I'm wrong , but I think we're all pretty much agreed on that.
    I further think most of us are agreed we're not talking about winter camping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++