WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Movie Theaters?

Images

Default Movie Theaters?

This might seem ridiculous but I got to ask. Do any of the trail towns have a movie theater?

Images

I have watched movies in Rutland and Hanover

Manchester Center, back in the day had one, as well.
    Yahtzee

I saw a movie in Erwin, TN (Erin Brockavich (sp)) and I saw another in Hanover, NH (Perfect Storm).

The theater in Erwin may have closed. Hanover is still open.

There is a 3 screen Drive-in Theater in Warwick, NY. That's only about 5 miles off the trail, and accessible from several trailheads.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Erwin. Waynesboro.

Ashville, NC.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Ashville, NC.

Way off the trail, but more hikers should visit. A great little city with a super 2 screen Fine Arts film house. There are 2 hostels in town too, so the hiker can stay for less than $25.

Best way to get to Asheville would be either from Hot Springs, or where the trail crosses I-40. Hitching on an interstate highway could be problematic though. Been here. Done that.

got a ride to the movies in franklin n.c. in a white stretch limo..compliments of bus shuttle driver/motel owner/ ron..or rich..look for the trail angel bus at road crossing happy trailzz

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Way off the trail, but more hikers should visit. A great little city with a super 2 screen Fine Arts film house. There are 2 hostels in town too, so the hiker can stay for less than $25.

Best way to get to Asheville would be either from Hot Springs, or where the trail crosses I-40. Hitching on an interstate highway could be problematic though. Been here. Done that.
    I believe a friend of mine hitched from Sams Gap to Asheville, straight shot on the highway?
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I believe a friend of mine hitched from Sams Gap to Asheville, straight shot on the highway?
    True. That's an interstate now though. If you're gonna hitch on the interstate, best to stay on the on-ramp. Otherwise you attract the attention of State Police. And they could still hassle you on the ramp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Manchester Center, back in the day had one, as well.
    It's still there...right next door to a great pizza joint!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Erwin. Waynesboro.
    in 99' there was a theatre downtown. and they took down names what state people were from. it shut down i thought? is this the same one or a different one in waynesboro. thanks i enjoyed the theatre in hanover NH. some doctors i met in georgia sent me some cash in the mail i wasn't expecting. the note said to help stake the ride! musta known i was broke

Images

Great Berrington MA

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post

True on all counts... we had a fellow hiker who was from the area and her folks drove us there. Great town though, totally worth visiting!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

The Nugget Theater on Main St. here in Hanover is probably the nicest theater on the Trail, and usually plays quality stuff. (Right now, it's "Slumdog Millionaire"; "Gran Torino", "Milk" and "Revolutionary Road", so three out of four ain't bad).

Also, there are movies playing at very reasonable prices just about every night of the week at Dartmouth College, and the public is welcome to attend.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

The only place I know of is Erwin (bit of a trek from Uncle Johnny's, though).

After walking around Gettysburg all day I went to the movies. The A/C was worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    in 99' there was a theatre downtown. and they took down names what state people were from. it shut down i thought? is this the same one or a different one in waynesboro. thanks i enjoyed the theatre in hanover NH. some doctors i met in georgia sent me some cash in the mail i wasn't expecting. the note said to help stake the ride! musta known i was broke
    I'm fairly certain the one in Waynesboro shut down between '99 and '01. The nearest theater I know of from Waynesboro is in Staunton, and is one heckova pain to get to (I saw Spider-Man 2).

There's also the theater down the road from Damascus in Abingdon that isn't too tricky to get to. Ask Lone Wolf for a ride. I'm sure he''' help you out.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Geez, Sleepy, but with all due respect, anyone willing to hitch from Waynesboro to Staunton to see Spidey 2 kinda deserves what they get.

If I was out there with a car and knew that was your destination, I'd have probably kept going, too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATX-Hiker View Post
    This might seem ridiculous but I got to ask. Do any of the trail towns have a movie theater?
    13 miles west of here in Abingdon and an easy hitch.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++