WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Roll View Post
    call it what you want, but don't presume that you can correct me for saying apple-latchin when seven generations of my ancestors have lived there and called it that.
    what he said... (OK - my grandparents moved from the mountains to the flatlands of AL - but the prior 5 generations were mountain people....)
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Depends if you can speak english; then it depends on if you can read english!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PSy BaSS View Post
    Is that the same as saying "it depends on whether you're a snooty sophisticate or not?"

It it what it is! If you put the word in front of someone that has never heard of Appalachian before the chances are they will pronounce it the way it's written!

Images

It it what it is!
    Say what? It also depends on if you can spell / type!

How do you pronounce "naive?" Like it's written?

I actually caught myself using both a couple of weeks ago.

If I'm saying something like the Appalachian Trail or whatnot I use app-a-latch-in.

But If I'm using Appalachian as a stand alone noun, I pronounce it app-a-lay-chin(s).

Images

It it what it is! If you put the word in front of someone that has never heard of Appalachian before the chances are they will pronounce it the way it's written!
    Looks like Ah-pah-latch-un to me.
    Unwrap a smile. -Little Debbie

Whoa cowboy slow down before someone gets hurt!! I wasn't taking a shot; I was just simply stating that if you look at the word, it should be pronounced the way it's written. I thought it was fairly ambiguous actually!! Not really sure why you took such offense to it, perhaps you feel like you’re not saying it right, whatever way that may be!!

And just for the record.....

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Say what? It also depends on if you can spell / type!
    I'm sure you could have done better than that! Was that your way of letting me know you can actually read and write? Very good; three gold stars!!!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you live in the south, it is
    Apple-Latch-In

If you live in the north, it is
    Apple-Lay-Chin

Then some people say 'dem hills or hi-contra'
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    If you live in the south, it is
    Apple-Latch-In

If you live in the north, it is
    Apple-Lay-Chin

Then some people say 'dem hills or hi-contra'
    I grew up in South-east VA. Kinda the middle ground, guess that explains it.

It depends...do you eat grits?

I've determined a true southerner is one who eats grits. (maybe not the most scientific, but seems to work )

If you don't eat grits the correct pronunciation is app-a-lay-chin, if you do the correct pronunciation is app-a-latch-in. So, yes, there are 2 correct ways.

Just think of it as an easy way of knowing where a person is from (and whether or not they'll try to steal your grits at breakfast).

Images

I was just simply stating that if you look at the word, it should be pronounced the way it's written. I thought it was fairly ambiguous actually!! Not really sure why you took such offense to it, perhaps you feel like you’re not saying it right, whatever way that may be!!
    I am simply stating that many words are not pronounced the way they are written (such as naive). Who crowned you the arbiter to decide that this particular word MUST be pronounced the way it is written? The only offense I'm taking is your pompous attitude from the beginning:
    Any way you cut it, that's a couple of pretty demeaning statements towards "Apple-Latch-In" pronouncing folks by insinuating they cannot speak English nor read English. So I spoon you some of your own medicine with "you can't type" and you reveal that you can dish it out but you can't take it. FWIW, I stated before and will do so again for your benefit. I say it both ways and neither way is wrong.

Talking

Uh-oh Fort Sumter is getting bombed again.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    It depends...do you eat grits?

I've determined a true southerner is one who eats grits. (maybe not the most scientific, but seems to work )

If you don't eat grits the correct pronunciation is app-a-lay-chin, if you do the correct pronunciation is app-a-latch-in. So, yes, there are 2 correct ways.

Just think of it as an easy way of knowing where a person is from (and whether or not they'll try to steal your grits at breakfast).

You don't have to be a southerner to be a hillbillybut it helps
    ???

Default Reminds me of....

the difference between a violin and a fiddle. A violin has STRINGS, and a fiddle has STRANGS

.........hehehehehe.

-Spokes

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Uh-oh Fort Sumter is getting bombed again.
    More like . . . getting cow-pattied! Uh oh, is that a word? "Cow-pattied." Do you pronounce it just like it looks? Sheesh, here we go again!

Any way you cut it, that's a couple of pretty demeaning statements towards "Apple-Latch-In" pronouncing folks by insinuating they cannot speak English nor read English. So I spoon you some of your own medicine with "you can't type" and you reveal that you can dish it out but you can't take it. FWIW, I stated before and will do so again for your benefit. I say it both ways and neither way is wrong.

Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that i was talking about "Apple-Latch-In pronouncing folks"

If you do say it both ways why would you automatically assume i was referring to the "latch" type by associating not being able to speak or read English. If anything you're the one doing a wonderful disservice to the "Apple Latch-In" crew!!

ASSumptions are a beautiful thing!! xox

Images

Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that i was talking about "Apple-Latch-In pronouncing folks"

If you do say it both ways why would you automatically assume i was referring to the "latch" type by associating not being able to speak or read English. If anything you're the one doing a wonderful disservice to the "Apple Latch-In" crew!!

ASSumptions are a beautiful thing!! xox
    Back peddling at this point will get you nowhere. Why don't you man-up and admit you were being derogatory toward those pronouncing it different from the way it looks? Just like you are with "ASSumptions." Anyone reading that post and your last one can clearly see your veiled (poorly) offensiveness. I'd be careful with the name calling, even when veiled in a childish way . . . mods don't take kindly to that around here, and doesn't bother me one bit. Cheers mate!

Back peddling at this point will get you nowhere. Why don't you man-up and admit you were being derogatory toward those pronouncing it different from the way it looks? Just like you are with "ASSumptions." Anyone reading that post and your last one can clearly see your veiled (poorly) offensiveness. I'd be careful with the name calling, even when veiled in a childish way . . . mods don't take kindly to that around here, and doesn't bother me one bit. Cheers mate!
    why are you so aggressive and confrontational? it's obnoxious...

it's LAYshun. end of thread

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++