WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Definition of "Directly on the Trail!"

OK, this is kind of silly, but I want to hear opinions on this:

A guy I know moved into a new apartment and he was very excited to tell me that his now home is "Directly on the Trail!"

Well, it is. Sorta.

See, the Trail (i.e. where the blazes are painted) is technically on the OTHER side of the street from his apartment.

But I didn't tell him this.

So, here's the question: When the Trail goes thru a town (like Hot Springs or Damascus or Dalton or Hanover or wherever), do BOTH sides of a street count as the A.T. or just one? And what about the street itself, where the cars are, is THAT considered part of the Trail?

The other reason I'm curious is that I have friends who run businesses on Main St. and have asked me whether or not they can legitimately say there place is right on the Trail regardless of which side of the street they're on.

So what do you guys think?

Is the whole street considered the A.T. or just the side that's blazed?

The whole street. He lives directly on the trail.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Some of the springs and shelters "on the trail" are a lot farther away than across the street.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I'd have to say Paddlers' Pub is directly on the trail. Both sides of the street count.

I'd use spitting distance for "directly on the trail", throwing distance for "just off the trail" and shouting distance for "very close to the trail"

the side that's blazed. that's the trail. MRO is on the trail. their hostel is not

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

who cares
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    I'd use spitting distance for "directly on the trail", throwing distance for "just off the trail" and shouting distance for "very close to the trail"

This is now how I will refer to things that are close to any trail from now on. lol
    !nuf si sdarwkcab gnitirW

Who cares?

Probably lots of folks. Personally, I think it'd be pretty cool to say that you lived or had your business right on the A.T.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post

Ten-time winner Cheery Pit Spit champ "Pellet Gun" Krause, July 1997. Photo courtesy Dowagiac Daily NewsInternational Cherry Pit Spitting Championship

Each July since 1974, hundreds of people from across the country and around the world gather for the International Cherry Pit Spitting Championship. The contest marks the beginning of the tart cherry harvest for southwest Michigan. Up until 1993, Rick Krause of Arizona held the world record with a spit of 72' 7 1/2". The current Guiness world record is 95' 9 1/2". In 1998, Brian Kraus, son of Rick Krause, spat 72' 11" to break his father's North American record set in 1988. The qualification round is open to anyone of any age.

Spittin distance 95 feet 9 and one half inches.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

As LW says, technically, the side of the street which is blazed is the offical route. So in theory, if you walk on the other side of the street, you didn't hike that part of the trail. In practice, I'd say if you can see it from the trail, for all practical purposes its on the trail.

Straight line, I live about 1.5 miles from the AT. However, it would take some serious bushwacking to get there from here. So, about all I can say is I live *near* the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    who cares
    I think Solemates point is... to 99.9+% of society, it doesn't matter what side of the street is blazed. If the trail runs down the street in front of your house, you live directly on the trail. Here in the AT community - it does matter to some.

So the answer to his question is... very few people.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Every street has a legal discription. If it falls anywhere adjacent to the legal discription it is on the trail.

Clyde

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Images

p.s.
    what's the definition of "indefinately"?
    p.m. me for the answer

"On the AT" can have various meanings open to numerous interpretations and frame of reference. People will disagree ad infinitum, ad nauseum. Kind of like a "country mile."

Is Damascus, or Hot Springs "on the AT?" Yes.

Is Mt. Katahdin? Mt. Washington? Yes.

Is that bag of trash 40 feet down a steep slope "on the Trail?" No.

IMO, I'd have to say that unless the street is a divided highway---which changes the frame of reference---your friend can validly claim that the enterprise is "on the AT."
    I walk the line.

Images

Default definition of directly on the trail

been thru most of those towns and really,its a funny thread because its a fine line,you cross the road and wham!your not a purist think about itky

Images

Talking

Like your friend, I'd sure say my apartment was directly on the trail. Otherwise, I might be limited to saying the Walasi-Yi Inn is the only building "directly" on the trail, since the trail passes through it.

The whole thing is context. I might or might not say that Overmountain Shelter is "directly on the trail." Depends on who I'm telling, when, and why. Not sure I'd ever say that Whitley Gap Shelter in Georgia is "directly on the trail." Over a mile is a fer piece, no matter.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Jack,
    I'd say in the case where the trail goes down one side of the street, buildings on either side of the street could claim they are "on the trail".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Jack,
    I'd say in the case where the trail goes down one side of the street, buildings on either side of the street could claim they are "on the trail".
    i'd have to agree, after all they're all "stationary" buildings!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++