WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100 Mile Wilderness Only

I am in the initial planning stages of putting together my "big" trip for this summer. My wife and I would like to do the 100 mile wilderness in Maine. We are both avid backpackers and are fit. We have hiked in the Adirondacks and during 2008 we did the NJ section of the AT as well as the 130+ miles of the Northville/Placid Trail in the Adirondacks.

We are planning on leaving our car on he north end and shuttling to Monson. Right now, we think that we are going to splurge on the shuttle and charter a float plane to take us from Millinocket to Monson. We are planning on a total of 9 days on the trail. We will be carrying a tent and using it each night.

I am looking for information from the masses on suggested itinerary, don't miss campsites. Basically we are looking for your words of wisdom.
    "Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Quick ideas:

You said "summer".

Try and make it late summer. The best time to be hiking this stretch is in September.

There are all sorts of woderful places to camp. My two favorites are Antlers Capsite a few miles past Cooper Brook, and the sand beach just before you get to Wadleigh Stream Lean-to.

Images

Default "100 mile wilderness hike"

1. Take the float plane w/Katahdin Air out of Millinocket.
    2. Shaw's can hold your car at their place of business and can arrange shuttle to get you to Millinocket.
    3. You won't regret it! Have a great trip and if you need help w/resupply thru there I'm in the Applachian Pages or contact me at [email protected]
    4. Or plan to stop at White House landing....
    Either way, have a great trip and thanks for visiting us!
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

I second Antler's campsite....cell phone service can be had there too...

Rainbow Springs is the best on the entire trail...Cooper isn't too bad either, especially if it's not too buggy...camping on the beach on Nahmakanta (sp?) Lake is also a don't miss...have fun!!! It's a great stretch!!!

Talking

Don't miss Leeman Brook Leanto which I maintain. If you get there on the right day I serve fresh Maine lobster, unlimited cold beer, grilled steak before you turn in to fresh sheets on your bed, a down comforter, and a mint on your pillow. This is usually done early in the season like 4/1/09.

The dates of our trek are going to be between August 28th and September 6th. Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

Images

I hiked that section last summer. Cresent Lake is absolutely beautiful! Personally, I'd start before the "wilderness" like the Kennebec river and Hiked 3-4 days to Monson, then hike the wilderness.
    Boarstone can shuttle and re-supply as needed.
    Also, I hiked NOBO too. I tented because if the bugs except at Chairback Mountain. the first 70 miles or so are hilly and cool at night, the last 30 were muggy and buggy and I was glad I had a tent.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Crawford Pond has a nice campsite as well.
    I think that was my favorite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Don't miss Leeman Brook Leanto which I maintain. If you get there on the right day I serve fresh Maine lobster, unlimited cold beer, grilled steak before you turn in to fresh sheets on your bed, a down comforter, and a mint on your pillow. This is usually done early in the season like 4/1/09.
    A person would have to be a fool to miss out on a deal like that.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

if you are in shape and can hike the miles that you say then don't worry. the northern part of the 100 is fairly flat. there are so many beautiful spots on that section that i would just camp where ever you want...the mileage won't be a problem. PS. checkout the Hermitage and blue blaze Gulf Hagas.

geek

Last night I sat down and drafted out a rough itinerary.

8/27 - Drive to the Katahdin Area - Fly to Monson
    8/28 - Long Pond Lean-To - 15.1
    8/29 - West Branch Pleasant River Campsite - 15.3 Miles
    8/30 - Logan Brook Lean-To - 12.7 Miles
    8/31 - Cooper Brook Lean-To - 11.7 Miles
    9/1 - Nahmakanta Stream Lean-To - 15.7 Miles
    9/2 - Rainbow Stream Lean-To - 13.9 Miles
    9/3 - Hurd Brook Lean-To - 11.5 Miles
    9/4 - Birches - 13.4 Miles
    9/5 - Summit Katahdin - 10.4 Miles - Pick-Up car and overnight at hotel
    9/6 - Drive Home

I would like to reduce and balance out some of the higher mileage day if at all possible. Let me know what you thoughts are.

Thanks again.

Journal Entries
    Images

i second what jack said, go in late summer.......the water is down and so are the bugs........

Images

After Leeman Brook stop at Little Wilson Falls, it's a must see, but us caution, very steep, slick slate rock all thru this area.
    After crossing Long Pond stream on you way to LP leat-to, stop to visit the gorge and falls thru here
    Cloud pond lean-to is a must see as you cross the Chairback-Barren Mt range.
    West chairback pond you should see,easy access no up/down. East chairback pond is a big hike DOWN and of course big coming up, slippery w/pine needles on surface of ground no real trail.
    The gulf side hike is rugged even by hikers standard. But do stop at the AT intersection there, cross the stream, on other side make a left and follow trail downstream to a beautiful set of falls, ScrewAuger. Return to AT sign and continue upstream, you'll come to a small set of falls that show the slate vein that runs through this area, its what makes up this little set of falls.
    Try to camp on shore of Nahmakanta Lake, sites provided,fire rings, 1st come/1st get. Privy.
    Several places along Nahmakanta stream to set up camp.

Meltdown

i liked the campsite at rainbow dam - 2 mi n. of rainbow springs on a short side trail

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Heyn View Post
    Last night I sat down and drafted out a rough itinerary.

8/27 - Drive to the Katahdin Area - Fly to Monson
    8/28 - Long Pond Lean-To - 15.1
    8/29 - West Branch Pleasant River Campsite - 15.3 Miles
    8/30 - Logan Brook Lean-To - 12.7 Miles
    8/31 - Cooper Brook Lean-To - 11.7 Miles
    9/1 - Nahmakanta Stream Lean-To - 15.7 Miles
    9/2 - Rainbow Stream Lean-To - 13.9 Miles
    9/3 - Hurd Brook Lean-To - 11.5 Miles
    9/4 - Birches - 13.4 Miles
    9/5 - Summit Katahdin - 10.4 Miles - Pick-Up car and overnight at hotel
    9/6 - Drive Home

I would like to reduce and balance out some of the higher mileage day if at all possible. Let me know what you thoughts are.

Thanks again.
    Hi Todd,

I assume you are an in shape, fit hiker, so take what I say with a grain of salt, since i'm an out of shape fat ass flatlander.

The southern portion of the OHMW is tougher than you think with Barren-Chairback range and Whitecap, which the northern portion (Katahdin the obvious exception) is much much easier and flater. Even the 15 miles out of Monson is not hard by any stretch but it is full of short ups and downs most of the day. This is also when your pack is the heaviest. I see that your lower mileage days are set at the end of your hike. It may be easier to do shorter mileage days in the beginning and then up mileage later on, since the terrain flattens considerably after East Branch Lean To. The 1st day out of Baxter I walked 21 miles, and at the end of the trip I scraped by hiking all day to push out 11-13 miles a day through the last 3 days.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Consider extending your vacation for 5-7 days and spend them in the Park. Apply for a campsite in the Park. They have shelters right next to your car. There are many mountain hikes within the Park including several different trails to climb Katahdin. The Knife's Edge is unique and not-to-miss trail! When you reach Abol Campground, you might well find people who have had their campers there all summer. It is a little community all in itself. (Hamlin Peak, the Brothers, Double-Top, the Owl, The Travelers....many more) There is also a trail that goes through the Park. If you are tired of hiking, rent a canoe and paddle to campsite in the lakes in the northern end. Just outside the Park near the jct. on the road to Abol there is a place that rents cabins, so you could do day trips into the park from there.
    http://www.campingsurvival.com/kabastpagubo.html

http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10162

Don't miss the Gulf Hagas blue blaze. Well worth the time. And yes, we saw moose in Baxter. Sweet. Have a great trip. We were there in late September, no bugs, lots of friends. Man, I'm jealous.

You've picked a great time of year to hike Monson to Baxter. You'll have plenty of GAMErs keeping you company at camp. You can park your car at Linda's Store (let her know) at no charge, the folks from Katahdin Air will help you drop it off. You already know you'll be able to stay at the Birches - but remember there's a 12 person first-to-sign-up limit there. You might want to have the trail runner at Abol Bridge radio Katahdin Stream to see if there's an opening there. Boarstone can help with a food drop, and White House Landing is a good over night stop. Don't focus too much about hiking from lean-to to lean-to, why stop early? Those last hours of light are the best time of day to be on the trail!
    Have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Two 15's on the first part might be a little ambitious. You can pull a 20 later on if needed.

++ New Posts ++