WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Varies from what I know. Anywhere from a $4 suggested donation to $25

Images

Default ..hehee

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    have a leiki pole hanger outside to keep down on the racket inside

Old western saying..."Leave your weapons at the door"
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    $20 is a bargain. Any hiker would be making a mistake if they did not stay in Franklin.

Images

On the soap in the hostel thingy?...liquid dispenser please...bar soap..no.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

I just took the nickel tour of Hostelling International's website. The going price for a bunk in the US is $20-30, none include meals.

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    On the soap in the hostel thingy?...liquid dispenser please...bar soap..no.
    I agree, sharing bar soap with strangers, is, just !!!

Ron says it's going to be called Miss Janet's Place, Miss Janet says it's going to be called Ron's "Haven"

Hate to rain on the parade, folks, but did your utility bill go down recently?

Your heat? Your water? Your rent? Your mortgage payment?

When you go shopping for stuff at the supermarket, like food, household stuff, cleaning supplies, etc., have the prices gone down recently?

If you're running folks around town (or around the Trail), does it cost less or more to keep your car on the road? Is your mechanic cheaper than he was last year? How about your insurance?

If you have to hire a repairman (and this happens constantly at a hostel), is your local electrician, plumber, carpenter, handyman working for less than he was a few years ago?

No?

Didn't think so.

So get over the $10.00 thing.

Ten bucks should get you a short shower and a tent site.

Sorry, but some folks are living in the past, money-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hate to rain on the parade, folks, but did your utility bill go down recently?

Your heat? Your water? Your rent? Your mortgage payment?

When you go shopping for stuff at the supermarket, like food, household stuff, cleaning supplies, etc., have the prices gone down recently?

If you're running folks around town (or around the Trail), does it cost less or more to keep your car on the road? Is your mechanic cheaper than he was last year? How about your insurance?

If you have to hire a repairman (and this happens constantly at a hostel), is your local electrician, plumber, carpenter, handyman working for less than he was a few years ago?

No?

Didn't think so.

So get over the $10.00 thing.

just typical hikers wantin' a lot for a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just typical hikers wantin' a lot for a little.
    Yeah like liquid soap dispensers. I imagine they'll be using small bars of motel soap.

Thats the truth; a campsite at one of the Georgia State Parks is $23 a nite.

But you can take as long a shower as you want.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

wanna go on the cheap??
    hike longer distances between resupply, it's easy enough to do, then the 20 or so bucks for a hostel might not seem that bad.

Put limits on "Work for Stay" and set a 2 night maximum stay rule unless injured or sick. The year after Mr. Shaw died, Shaw's turned into a flop house because some hikers got to Monson and wouldn't leave because Keith Jr. let some hikers stay for weeks at a time........it got confusing to who was actually running the place. Just an idea.

Take care

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Roof
    Water
    Heat
    Mudroom or porch to leave boots & stuff
    Phone, with conditions, no problem
    No Alcohol
    No Smoking inside but a spot outside & downwind for us that do
    Will accept dropboxes
    Soap (hotel bar is just fine)
    at the very least $10 for the services

Unless they're being dead beats and not paying I'm not sure if I agree with the 2 night limit, especially if it's not sold out.

If work isn't needed I wouldn't do work for stay so close to the beginning. If an hour or two is need, I'd only knock off money, not have it free.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Make that at the very least $15 for services, donations above & beyond the set fee.

I dunno about the 2 night limit thing, either.

It depends who the people are, and it ought to be up to owners and managers to decide how long folks can stick around.

If I were running a hostel (and I have), I'd rather have some good folks staying for five nights who paid their bills, behaved themselves, helped out around the place, were fun to be around, rather than a bunch of high-maintenance jerks who were only there for one night but expected that for $15.00 they'd be getting the Hotel Australia.

As far as I'm concerned, some folks can stay at my place as long as they want and some other folks manage to wear out their welcome after an hour, never mind one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Put limits on "Work for Stay" and set a 2 night maximum stay rule unless injured or sick. The year after Mr. Shaw died, Shaw's turned into a flop house because some hikers got to Monson and wouldn't leave because Keith Jr. let some hikers stay for weeks at a time........it got confusing to who was actually running the place. Just an idea.

Take care
    i say NO work for stay. cuz you know full well the hiker will have money for tobacco, beer and dope but doesn't want to pay for stay and usually the work they do is so piss poor

I dunno about the 2 night limit thing, either.

It depends who the people are, and it ought to be up to owners and managers to decide how long folks can stick around.

If I were running a hostel (and I have), I'd rather have some good folks staying for five nights who paid their bills, behaved themselves, helped out around the place, were fun to be around, rather than a bunch of high-maintenance jerks who were only there for one night but expected that for $15.00 they'd be getting the Hotel Australia.

As far as I'm concerned, some folks can stay at my place as long as they want and some other folks manage to wear out their welcome after an hour, never mind one day.
    Again, just an idea.....Work for stay limits and having a maximum amount of days one can stay could help keep things moving during peak season and give everyone a chance to come to town to get cleaned up, rest and resupply at a reasonable price.

How about no posted "rules" and expect hikers to conduct themselves in an appropriate manor without having to watched and babysat during there stay.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++