WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Update: Owner found, tent returned. He was thrilled that someone was willing to carry it out for him.

The notice here on Whiteblaze didn't do it, or the notice I put in the RATC newsletter. His buddy was up on Dragon's Tooth looking for it (a mile from where I found it) when a friend of mine was up there, and they just started chatting. Fortunate coincidence.

He knew all the particulars, including the odd fact that it still had the tags on it. It was a brand-new Hubba Hubba, BTW.

I probably stood over that tent on the trail for five minutes trying to figure out the right thing to do. I knew the owner wasn't nearby, because Cove is a narrow ridgetop there. There's nowhere to hide. I came up with all sorts of reasons not to carry the weight (some of which are echoed above) but then realized that I was simply trying to justify not getting involved.

It all worked out in the end.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

you done good.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    you done good.
    Ditto on that.

Journal Entries
    Images

JW,good job,need more good people like you around in this world.have a great day my friend,Charles

Images

We came across a similar situation last weekend in GA. We found a cup/ plate/ bowl just sitting in the middle of trail. Then a few minutes later we came across a small stuff sack followed by some cooking stuff. We were not really sure what to do. It was very crowded on the trail with people walking north and south. I was afraid that if I picked it up and carried it to the next shelter it would have been someone's walking the other way. We deciced to just leave it where it was. At least it was not as important as someone's shelter. That would have really, really bothered me to find a tent on the trail.
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Images

Last weekend I was hiking jocassee gorges with my son. Around dusk a couple hikers came through, they had found my 7y.o. son's walkie talkie that had been clipped to the outside of his pack. He had dropped it a few miles back when we stopped to rest. It must have happened when I said, "Don't drop your pack, chief...." followed by a *thump*

Really nice of them to carry that along and find us.

I carried a sigg water bottle, full 32 oz, (Not much unless your 12 miles into your 14 day and very wet.

Problem is I was tired, and I thought it was a fuel bottle....stood there for a few minutes thinking of what to do, knowing that I was coming up on the shelter I decided to carry it and see if anyone was the owner.

I was very thirsty and almost out of water.....found no one at the shelter so I decided to check what kind of fuel it was, and then realized....it's a sigg water bottle. Full of water....that I could have drank on that last hill.

Now it has my methyl in it. And labeled such.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    We came across a similar situation last weekend in GA. We found a cup/ plate/ bowl just sitting in the middle of trail. Then a few minutes later we came across a small stuff sack followed by some cooking stuff...
    Is Bryson back on the trail?

Are you sure you weren't following Katz?
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    If I lost something that I really wanted back I would re-trace my steps in an attempt to find it. Now that you have taken the tent that would make it impossible to do.
    If he didn't pass anyone prior to getting to the tent and never saw anyone coming toward him after he picked it up, does it seem likely that someone who would secure something so poorly and then not realize that it had even fallen would be coming back? Doubtful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++