WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Weather in Winter Storm?

Just wondering if anyone has some first hand stories of this winter storm blowin' through the southern mountains. Video on the web shows Memphis got hammered - I can only imagine what it's like at 5000feet (I'm headed out next week, so I have more that a little passing interest).

--FF

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

At 2500 feet it is raining/snowing/sleeting/icing today, but the temps are not terribly low. Tonight the temps will plunge, as usual. After that we'll have sunny days for a while. (So sayeth weather.com.) The problem that usually follows in wind, endless, strong winds that chill you to the bone, mess up you vision, make you want to hole up.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

We got flurries in Knoxville. The Smokies have a coating of white on them, but it doesnt look like they got a large quantity of snow. Any snow that they would have gotten in the mountains between Springer and Franklin NC is likely to be melted by middle of the week. It doesnt stay around long here in the south.

like a herd of turtles

A good, accurate sight for areas along the AT in Western North Carolina is Raysweather.com. In my experience, Raysweather has been much more accurate than Wunderground.com or Weather.com

Images

I used Raysweather.com all the time when my son was going to App State. Check out the web cams . . . total white out!

Images

Is all I can tell ya is I was hiking in SC for the weekend and the weather sucked. Got out before the snow came though.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Images

Winton Porter just posted on his facebook that he may be stuck at work until he is plowed out .. anyone just about anywhere on the AT is in for a hell of a night ....

I spoke with my buddy who lives about 20 miles from Springer, they had a full 24 hours of steady light rain then last night it started snowing, so far about an inch. 18F forecast for the morning low, about ten degrees colder in the higher elevations. And that my friends is why I will not even think about going until March 15. I have seen six inches of snow at Stecoah Gap in April. It is still 53F here in Florida as the front arrives. The mountains are 650 miles north, colder north than here.

Images

The snow made it fun to hike the Coosa today
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I have done some hiking in snow, mostly PCT in Ca but it can be dangerous even if you are properly prepared. I got caught in a storm and hiked about five miles through up to chest high snow drifts to get out. It took all day to go that five miles. Be careful out there. I bet Hike Inn, Ronnie Havens, and the other hostels are full up right now There is an old russian proverb that goes, "When you freezing, a wise man hunts wood not rabbits."

Images

Thanks for website Summit . Hope the N. bounders hunker down and stay warm and dry.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Called up to Kincora, and Bob said its a little slushy but the wind is the only real problem he is having. Took out the power for Dennis Cove today.

The recent snowy weather shouldn't last long. Its been too wet and humid for any significant covering. Right now, the wind and freezing rain are the only problems to expect.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Expecting 8-12" inches in the CT section of the AT

Just kidding, but seriously. RememberYourZen's Avatar

Im leaving to head down to dahlonega from charlotte nc tomorrow. I hope this weather doesnt delay my trip!

Images

Temperature inversion in NC Pisgah NF today. Rain changed to snow at noon at our campsite but by the time we hiked out and drove through Flat Rock, NC it was obvious that it had been snowing for quite a while down below the NF. Seems like elevation didn't matter much relative to the changeover. We just turned to all snow here in Greer, SC and it is collecting very quickly.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by High Life View Post
    Winton Porter just posted on his facebook that he may be stuck at work until he is plowed out .. anyone just about anywhere on the AT is in for a hell of a night ....

Yeah, I was thinking of NOBOS out there now. And for anyone going, I'd wait a week with the snow then cold. Gonna be snowy on the trail for a while.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of NOBOS out there now. And for anyone going, I'd wait a week with the snow then cold. Gonna be snowy on the trail for a while.

I'm planning to start mine tuesday...

was driving down to dahlonega to scope everything out tomorrow.

is this a bad idea?

Blissful is right. Don't hesitate to delay if your travel plans allow. The only thing it could hurt is your feelings

A warmer start is a happy start.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RememberYourZen View Post
    Im leaving to head down to dahlonega from charlotte nc tomorrow. I hope this weather doesnt delay my trip!
    I'm looking out my window in Charlotte right now. There's about an inch of snow on the ground, and more falling fast. Incredible! I may have to go out and play in it...

But unless it melts overnight, traffic around here is going to be a nightmare tomorrow.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I'm looking out my window in Charlotte right now. There's about an inch of snow on the ground, and more falling fast. Incredible! I may have to go out and play in it...

But unless it melts overnight, traffic around here is going to be a nightmare tomorrow.
    Me too! I'm happy but really sad at the same time.

I guess I might have to delay my leave for a few days. CRAP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++