WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default JayBird.....the LuxLite Cot

We did check out the cot. La Aqua Na did the lay on it test while I was quizzing Bruce about the pack and the features I didnt notice.
    Her response was that it was nice and comfortable but not as comfortable as a hammock....remember the LuxLite gear had a PCT mandate (my opinion not nec. those of LuxLite which of course I have no affiation 'cepting paying for Bruce's new car
    With that I mean/suppose that out west maybe there are vastly more miles where you can't hammock versus our blessings of trees here in the east, dont know really since I've only hiked 8 miles of the PCT near Ranier and there were plenty of trees there only they were too big to get a strap around!
    But the cot was much more comfortable than a thermawrest or similar pad (and here is why: your body parts-elbows,knees, etc. are never on or touch the ground even when sleeping on your side-try that with an ultralight thermawrest, and another BUT which Valcour has already pointed out-the cot will sleep cool just like a hammock which means insulation needed below.
    What I wanted to see was the setup and take down but was in a hurry to get to Dots for lunch with the WBers

Sittin' in Tx, Dreamin' of GA

I'm making prelim. plans to go to Lake Jackson to see this stuff for my self. I'm very intrigued--and am still in the shopping for gear phase--going slowly and listening to all of you guys in the process. I hope to go in the next couple of weeks or so. I'll put in my cents for you guys at that time. Meanwhile, what I'm wondering about with the cot is insulation. Would being off the groud have similar insulative problems as hammocking, or would the couple of inches of air actually help. I know that at this stage all anyone can have is speculation, since the equipment is still so new, but whadda y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dreamer
    Meanwhile, what I'm wondering about with the cot is insulation. Would being off the groud have similar insulative problems as hammocking, or would the couple of inches of air actually help. I know that at this stage all anyone can have is speculation, since the equipment is still so new, but whadda y'all think?

The Low Rise Cot is COLD in cold weather, you get no insulation, just like a hammock. You will feel cold without some insulation under your bag, like a thin foam pad. I slept one night in 40 degree weather and I needed my 1 pound Thermarest ultralight on top of the cot to stay warm. A 1/2" green Coleman foam pad works just as good, but is huge rolled up. The Thermarest/Cot combo was also very cushy feeling and I slept real good.

The LRC is great in HOT weather, like 90 degree nights on the Texas gulf coast. Your bottom half is not insulated and breezes blowing under the hammock feel really nice. Once again, just like a hammock.

Bruce Warren
    Proprieter
    LuxuryLite Gear

Images

Have you thought about making a skirt that traps the dead air under the cot? I was thinking along those lines a little this last hike. I don't know it it would work at all, but it would be pretty lite if it did.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I put it in my tent, about the same as a skirt, and it was still cold. Just no substitute for teeny-tiny air bubbles.

Sittin' in Tx, Dreamin' of GA

Bruce-- Thanks for the honesty. This is actually a big selling point for me--don't get that much cold weather around here, and when I get to do the AT I can swap out when summer sets in. As soon as my husband gets back from Japan, I'll be heading your way--I don't want to drive through the Houston area by myself, rattlesnakes I can handle, freeway drivers in Houston--another story. It looks like on your website that your B&B is being remodeled, do you have any other recommendations? We have a friend who keeps an apartment in Houston, but he may be using it when we go and we'll need something else.

BTW the heat index is already over a hundred here.

++ New Posts ++