WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Moved from Straight Forward: 18 year old

Alright im 18 and im about to graduate high school in a few weeks. im extreemly dertermined to do this. im a very physically and mentally fit to do this. i run xc and track and lift daily. ec ect you get the point. thing is how much will this all cost i see its about 2,200 miles i just want to know how much people spend on gear food ect

also i forgot to add i would like to run the whole thing to finish coon than the 6 month peroid

5000 dollars

is that how much you spent?

Images

From what I have read in other posts around $1500 to $2500 all depends if you are one that likes to hang out a hotels and towns along the way. If you are just going to stop long enouge to resupply they say the lower end can work. You should get more feedback as the thread goes along. I havent hiked the AT and cannot see myself hiking it anytime soon do to family and work .

well the reason i want to do it now is because im joining the military soon so i know once im in the navy i will have no chance of doing it and i would regret not doing it but id rather stay out of hotels as much as possible i would rater sleep in the rain

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It really varies person to person. Some people will spend a couple thousands while others spend a bit more. It depends on your gear, look at the foods you want to pack, maildrops, resupplies, hostel/hotels stays, shuttles & travel...and so on.

My only other advice is to plan to bulk up. There are many people who say they are physically fit to do the trail. But after the first couple weeks, you will be start to drop a lot of weight as your body gets used to the daily mileage and trail diet.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

well id my goal is not to spend over 1500$

Quote Originally Posted by vonroretz View Post
    It will be very difficult to do this at $1,500.
    You are never too old.

for gear, food and other expenses? you ain't gonna make it far

Images

you'll be lucky to get all your gear for $1500! have fun sleeping in the rain!

There are so many shelters (at least every 10 miles or so) that you could just stay in the shelters and skip the tent. Be a good idea to take a lightweight tarp just in case. If you are trail running your eta is problaby 3 months or less. If you raid the hiker boxes for food that might help for food expenses. I wouldn't plan on it though. I think you could get by on about $2,000.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I ended up under 3000 dollars, but that didn't include initial gear purchaces, and did include some really dumb spending, including excessive postage to have something overnighted to me, which my parents screwed up twice.

And I didn't really avoid towns, but I'm able to control my spending pretty well. Not being a big drinker helps tons, and I had a group with whom I'd split motel stays.

Why not wait until you're out of the Navy (assuming you're not planning on being a lifer)? You'll still be fit, probably mentally tougher, and you'll have money in your pocket?

Under $1500 is really low-balling it. On the one hand, I knew a homeless guy who was on the trail in 2000, and he had no money. On the other hand, you're not a homeless guy.

The hiking part is cheap. But think about the length of time you'll be out. Eventually you want a roof over your head. You want to go get a pizza with the friends you've met on the trail. Do you really want to avoid every town and experience you could have with the friends you've met, not because you choose to do that, but because you have no money?

I've had friends who had to get off the trail because of lack of funds. It's always a terrible way to go -- when you know you could finish otherwise. I would rethink the need to try it now.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

too many people on whiteblaze who have never hiked the whole trail! giving bad advice on cost of a thru. (1.25 -2.00 a mile. IMO) very,very,few people can hike the trail on 1,500.00 dollors. i know everybody hikes different and depends on whether its a 4 or 6 month hike. but your setting people up for failure. someone like lonewolf tells you about 5 grand. you might want to listen IMO

Journal Entries
    Images

Food isn't going to be cheap this year, so LW would be right, burning all those calories, your going to need to increase your cash flow.

Seen too many young hikers with small budgets get on the trail thinking they'll not party not go to towns and keep to themselves go broke in a month and be home in 5 weeks. But of course there have been plenty that have made it . IMO the single most important item one should have for a thru-hike is plenty of cash!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Seen too many young hikers with small budgets get on the trail thinking they'll not party not go to towns and keep to themselves go broke in a month and be home in 5 weeks. But of course there have been plenty that have made it . IMO the single most important item one should have for a thru-hike is plenty of cash!
    exactly, the prices i listed 1.25 -2.00 a mile is from 5-6 years ago. i bet food prices will be up quite a bit. good luck on your hike!

Alright im 18 and im about to graduate high school in a few weeks. im extreemly dertermined to do this. im a very physically and mentally fit to do this. i run xc and track and lift daily. ec ect you get the point. thing is how much will this all cost i see its about 2,200 miles i just want to know how much people spend on gear food ect
    Lone Wolf knows how much most people spend and I don't because I have never done the AT. However, I think someone as young as yourself and who is physically active and mentally disciplined and doing it as more of a physical and mental endeavour than a social vacation can do it for much less. That has to be part of the challenge though.

Still, alot of young fit guys that do it for those reasons still spend $3000 or more doing it.
    Kirby was about your age and did it for all those reasons and you might check with him how much he spent but it might have been that much.

Best to listen to Lone Wolf, but then see if you can prove him wrong.
    Do that by doing it though, not by talking about it as I do.

I would suggest the best way to prepare and to prove to yourself that you can do it is to start living and eating know the way you would intend to live and eat on the trail. Stay physically active. Eat healthy trail food purchased on foot from grocry stores. Avoid fast foot and junk food and movies. Maybe even wear the clothes you would hike in, and launder them my hand. Have fun with it and learn as you go. Good way to save up for your trip also. Cheers.

Prove Lone Wolf wrong. It would make him proud. He's on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by droptopbenz View Post
    you'll be lucky to get all your gear for $1500! have fun sleeping in the rain!
    I doubt I could do it for $1500, but what the **** is wrong with sleeping in the rain?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++