WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bounce Boxes

Default Bounce Boxes

How useful are bounces boxes on a thru hike? Any special type of box that is more durable for repeated shipping? What size did you find useful?

I used one on my thru-hike, but wouldn't bother next time. The only thing I really used it for was to grab map and ALDHA handbook sections, and I'd probably just have them sent from home in a normal maildrop. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get both the maps and handbook into a PDA of some type instead. The handbook already is available in PDF form.

Default Bounce Boxes

If I hadn't hiked with my dog I doubt that I would have used one. I started off having special dog food mailed to us but connecting with the post office didn't work very well. I also would never try to rely on the post office for mail drops again. Winter and I only carried what we needed until our next re-supply. It was common to send dog food and anything that wasn't going to be used to get bounced ahead. It was a marginal improvement over not using a bounce box. That was one of the additional expenses that I had hiking with my best freind, but Winter was much cheaper than my ex-wife. I plan on re-hiking the AT after Winter goes to the big dog shelters in the sky. The shelters where all the dogs use the shelters and the people have to sleep underneath. I wouldn't bother with a bounce box or mail drops when I re-hike the AT.

Images

I have found a bounce box useful for maps of upcoming sections, cell phone charger, charger for proprietary camera battery, Energizer lithium batteries which can be hard to come by on the trail, cold/hot weather clothing when one is needed and not the other. I buy food as I go and have no support person at home to mail me anything, so it is no big deal to stop at a PO once every 100-150 miles to keep from carrying these things. If you use priority mail, you can call and have the PO forward your box if you don't yet need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota_ View Post
    How useful are bounces boxes on a thru hike? Any special type of box that is more durable for repeated shipping? What size did you find useful?
    Waste of time and money. If you are bouncing it you don't need it. If you purchase a large quantity of something leave the excess at a hostel/hotel or share with a hiking partner. No need for a bounce box.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota_ View Post
    ============================

I found my bounce box to be extremely helpful. I used the post office "Piority Mail" boxes for mine. The cost of the box is included in the mailing price and when it started to look a bit beat up I just replaced it with a new box at the post office. The box I used was about 12" square.

If I hiked the AT again I would definitely use a bounce box. Everyone's experience is different but for me it worked out well.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I used both 22 food drop packages and a bounce box which the Postal Service managed to lose and sent it home to FL! I will not do either next time. If you prefer or need special foods then you might have to do drops but they will make you crazy trying to get to town on Sat am or wait until Monday. Amazing how it worked out that way so often!

I remember always seeing hikers scrambling to make the PO before sat. closings. I always bounced or had pkgs sent to an accepting motel. Some have had success using 5 gal buckets with a cap and the handle intact. Good size and durable. Be sure to pack your own tape and labels.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Bounce box: no.

Mail drop from home periodically with maps and guidebook sections: yes

interesting reading. I plan on doing a few 3-6 mail drops. I also plan to bounce a foodbox. I am trying to make sense of the logic of doing or not doing. I just can't see how buying all my food along the way is in any way going to be cheaper than spending 8$ and change at each town I stop at, to open, use and reseal and send box forward to next planned stop. ..... If however I have somehow missed why this plan would not be good lemme know via pm, please.

It seems many think that a bit of planning and prior purchases of dried meals is a bad thing, that is what I can't wrap my head around. how is it bad to save money on buying food that I will 100% without doubt eat on down the line?

Maybe its the fact that I am approaching this , coming from a different place within my being, than many others. I am not doing my hike to race anyone including you, myself or the mail system. I plan to take my time and enjoy each and every little bit of this most wonderful opportunity to tune my soul back in. more on that later. :P

As far as eating the same things all the time , thats not much of a concern to me. food is fuel regardless how many times I have eaten the same meals. I know I shall get in some way tired of same things. But, I know something else, at least 90 percent of this hike will happen in ONE place, and that is one's own head. It's a matter of what you are willing and able to endure from your head down to your toes, to be able to live your dream. sry for rambling on.

bottom line on bounce box, you don't wanna then don't if you do wanna, well then do it. you, myself anyone , I feel we will find out once on the trail if we like doing it that way or not.

and as far as getting there on closed day or what ever.... I laugh as it seems all that complain about it seem in a race or at least in great hurry. I on the other hand intend to simply let the hike happen and I will meet my bouncebox when I do, after all I will be in a town and not starving on the trail if I arrive on a saturday late. Some food for thought. What if one would actually SLOW DOWN and see more on the trail to not have to sit overnight in town and stew? and simply meet it bright and early monday morning. .... I know opinions are like ***holes . slow down and relax man, drink in the beauty through which you will be passing , and stop your worry, it puts me in mind of watch a Formula One race, or gasp, Nascar where how long your pit stop is need be of such great concern.

bounce it baby

Bounce Boxes are a fact of life on a thruhike IMHO

++ New Posts ++