WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3-14-06 The journey north begins. Lonesome Polecat's Avatar

Default Best Base Camp Stove?

I kayak camp the coastal islands of Everglades National Park in SW FL. Wind is my only consideration--not weight, size, elevation, or low temps. I have an alcohol stove (used on AT thru-hike 2006/7), but now, after knee replacements, just sail/peddle/paddle my kayak with my fishing buddies out to beautiful little islands and setup camp and go fishing for a few days. Between food we bring and fish we catch, cooking requires a base-camp type stove--preferably a remote canister stove, with a wide burner and wide supports to handle large pots/pans, and is stable.

I'm considering Snow Peak's GigaPower BF (wide-burner model GS-310A) and MSR's WindPro (also with large burner). Don't see BTU rating for MSR, but SP shows 11,200 BTUs.

Would appreciate any input, opinions, etc.

Thanks,

Lonesome Polecat
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers. None goes his way alone. All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own. "Unknown" :sun

If you can deal with a non-canister stove I think the MSR Dragonfly would meet all your required needs (stable, wide burner, and wide supports).

If you really want a canister stove maybe check out the Primus EtaPower as well...
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Contact Keith and have him build you one of his cooking set-ups.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...237723&page=30

Thanks SB,

Will checkout Primus more. MSR Dragonfly doesn't have remote canister and integrated windscreen/heat reflector like the SP BF does.
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers. None goes his way alone. All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own. "Unknown" :sun

Images

just saw this one

Our scout troop uses the optimus nova stoves. Very solid, can support big pots, great simmer, white gas, or other gas, but we only use white. Remote fuel tank, very fool proof, and I would say miserly with fuel. But no integrated wind screen. Simple to make to whatever size you need with flashing material.

The Brunton Optimus Hiker+ shown above is a great small, compact, stable, little stove for high elevations/cold temps where liquid fuels work the best. But the only liquid fuel I use, or will carry on my kayak, is alcohol. I'm still looking for the best remote canister stove.

Thanks anyway.

Polecat

If you are not car camping, but still cooking for more than one, I'd recommend a white gas stove, such as the dragon fly or whisperlite, or the Coleman Peak 1.

If I'm not having to worry about carrying the stove, I like my Coleman 2-burner propane stove.

Unhappy Best Base Camp Stove?

Thanks Flemdawg1,

I have a coleman propane stove. Its too big to pack up in the forward hatch. My "Luxury Item" is a 50 qt Igloo Cooler so I can pack "Real Town Food--and liquid Refreshments. It sits behind me in the cargo hold.

My Hobie Mirage Adventure Island is a sit-on-top Sailing kayak. The hull is hollow and stuffed with water, clothes, sleeping bag/comforter, food/cooking gear (including alcohol stove) etc. The camp table, chair, tent is stacked between my seat and the cooler; and rods/reels are lashed between the akas (crossbraces) to the outriggers.

Old-retired-folks with arthritis, etc, too old to hike anymore, can still get out in and enjoy the peace, beauty, and serenity of "the wild" down here in Florida. Yes, I miss the trail, but like Dirty Harry said "A man has to know is limitations."

Polecat

Quote Originally Posted by Lonesome Polecat View Post
    I kayak camp the coastal islands of Everglades National Park in SW FL. Wind is my only consideration--not weight, size, elevation, or low temps. I have an alcohol stove (used on AT thru-hike 2006/7), but now, after knee replacements, just sail/peddle/paddle my kayak with my fishing buddies out to beautiful little islands and setup camp and go fishing for a few days. Between food we bring and fish we catch, cooking requires a base-camp type stove--preferably a remote canister stove, with a wide burner and wide supports to handle large pots/pans, and is stable.

I'm considering Snow Peak's GigaPower BF (wide-burner model GS-310A) and MSR's WindPro (also with large burner). Don't see BTU rating for MSR, but SP shows 11,200 BTUs.

Would appreciate any input, opinions, etc.

Thanks,

Lonesome Polecat
    Go with the Windpro, like you said, it'll hold a large pot/skillet. Flame control is excellent so you can cook your fish on it. The MSR windscreen works well.

Images

I'd be tempted to get one of these

cheap and powerful, not too terribly heavy, super stable, can cook anything.

Images

I picked this one up one on ebay yesterday. I'm partial to alcohol stoves and getting to be in the same boat as you are. Doing more base camp excursions than long distance hiking. The stove is a marine favorite, an Origo 3000 Stainless Boat Stove Alcohol 2 Burners out of Sarasota Florida 10" X 17" Price=$174.99. They also come in single burners. Mine will be used in my camper instead of propane. I just picked up 2 cases of HEET yellow bottle for fuel. getting set for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I'd be tempted to get one of these

cheap and powerful, not too terribly heavy, super stable, can cook anything.
    I have one of those, runs on butane canisters. Hot as hell, great camp stove.

Images

I have the Snow Peak remote canister stove. Got it for winter use (and it was half price at my local outfitter.) I don't recall whether it's the wide version, but it easily holds every mug and pot that I own, from 600ml to 2 liters.

The stove performs well. In Florida you'll be fine with the canister upright, using a good wind screen. The directions say not to invert the canister for very cold weather use, so don't do that, even though it can be done easily, won't damage the stove, and will provide much better stove performance in sub-20F conditions. (What you shouldn't do is let the stove warm up, then turn the gas as low as possible, invert s-l-o-w-l-y, and keep your face away.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hike smarter, not harder.

When I'm canoeing, I use one of these - http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=2010 . Really wide and stable (about 12"), cheap (at Academy), uses the big, cheap canisters, and you can fit a big bucket on it to wash dishes.

Primus Eta is nice and efficient. My last backpacking trip it was pretty cold (22) when we got up, so we tried warming up with the stove as we boiled water. Those Eta pots are so efficient, you could barely feel any heat coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I have one of those, runs on butane canisters. Hot as hell, great camp stove.
    i second there great ! the only downside is how quick your butane canister burn out...do you have that problem too ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RandoJoce View Post
    i second there great ! the only downside is how quick your butane canister burn out...do you have that problem too ?
    Yeah, they burn out fast, but they're cheap.

Those butane burners are really great. No kidding, during the blizzard in 93 I cooked 3 meals for the 80 people stuck in the hotel i was working at using nothing but these burners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++