WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default You guys gotta see this!!

backpacking will never be the same

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...Content=186708

Cal Berkley has been working on that thing for a long time, among others. Read Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein and you'll know where the inspiration for it came from.

The video didn't note that each set costs only $3.4 million taxpayer dollars.

That fits right in with the mentality of using billion dollar airplanes flying through 13 time zones (and back) to drop 10 $250,000 bombs on six guys in a mud hut --- really cool but really dumb and wasteful.

Images

Maybe they'll take a check?

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post
    Can't find that on the web, got a link?

Images

I can't wait till Wally sells then for 49.99
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

I already have a set, and they are very nice.

Hmmm... Maybe they can build me a suit that can walk a thru for me while I sit here and work dreaming about it.. Oh wait, that's what this site offers me...

Why is it we can spend insane amounts of money to find more efficient and effective methods of killing one another, like this contraption, yet we can't seem to find the money to spend on assisting and protecting the most vulnerable of our planet?

I agree, cool concept, but dumb and wasteful!

even if it was affordable I don't see why you'd spend the money. Isn't there something to be said about hauling your own gear with your own strength?

What's new? Don't many hikers already carry an exoskeleton? What are hiking poles, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post

That fits right in with the mentality of using billion dollar airplanes flying through 13 time zones (and back) to drop 10 $250,000 bombs on six guys in a mud hut --- really cool but really dumb and wasteful.
    You need to pony up a few million for one of these Darwin, it might keep you from leaning so damned far to the left, help you evolve a bit more (you have a ways to go yet).

Images

Please refrain from the political banter, folks. This ain't the place for it. Thanks
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

53 lbs empty without batteries. Hmmm... so if I wanted to use it for any length of time my useful load is equal to 200lbs minus 53 lbs static weiht minus the weight of needed batteries. At some point the whole device becomes a way to carry a lot of batteries in order to carry, er, ah, batteries. Hmmm...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

looks like the most stupidest idea ever.

Images

It might be worth the price of admission just to watch the ultra-light folks keel over when you tell them that the pack itself is 53 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    53 lbs empty without batteries. Hmmm... so if I wanted to use it for any length of time my useful load is equal to 200lbs minus 53 lbs static weiht minus the weight of needed batteries. At some point the whole device becomes a way to carry a lot of batteries in order to carry, er, ah, batteries. Hmmm...
    Someone likely made a similar observation of Henry Ford's Model T pickup, methinks the technology has improved a mite since then. If the comments here were limited only to those who've gotten off of a helicopter with about a 120# of crap to carry a long ways you'd see quite a bit more interest.

Sorry, I was wrong.
    It's a seven-year, $75 million Raytheon-Darpa project.
    That's OK then. The Chinese are paying for it.
    "At Raytheon, we never forget whose money we're stealing!"

Link: http://www.core77.com/blog/technolog...eton_10163.asp

The suit only runs for 40 minutes then the batteries are dead.
    Excellent!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Someone likely made a similar observation of Henry Ford's Model T pickup, methinks the technology has improved a mite since then. If the comments here were limited only to those who've gotten off of a helicopter with about a 120# of crap to carry a long ways you'd see quite a bit more interest.
    Not saying it doesn't have some military or special use potential. But based upon the battery life, it isn't going to help anyone looking to carry that 120# very far. Like I said, "at some point..."--it becomes a bit like a rocket, you keep adding more fuel to lift fuel. The payload ultimately becomes a rather small % of the entire device. Just saying that its actual use would be quite limited by the current level of battery technology.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Battery technology will continue to improve.

While, like many other things, the initial investment was for military purposes. imagine the potential for civilian application of this or it's evolutionary technology. 3.4 million dollars of taxpayer money may not seem so excessive if you are among the millions of people confined to a wheelchair or crutches.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Battery technology will continue to improve.
    Yep.

While, like many other things, the initial investment was for military purposes. imagine the potential for civilian application of this or it's evolutionary technology. 3.4 million dollars of taxpayer money may not seem so excessive if you are among the millions of people confined to a wheelchair or crutches.
    Very good point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++