WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Silly down bag cleaning guidelines.

So most down soaps say you can wash your bag in your tub, which is cool. They then go on to say in order to dry it you should put it in a large commercial dryer, but who has one of those in their house where they just washed it in a tub?! Do they want you to take it to a laundromat afterwards? Why not just say machine wash it in a big front loader?

Images

Air dry it. It will take days. Keep flipping it over and don't hang it up. Keep it flat. If you get a sunny day, take it outside.

Quote Originally Posted by UnkaJesse View Post
    Air dry it. It will take days. Keep flipping it over and don't hang it up. Keep it flat. If you get a sunny day, take it outside.
    None of them say to do that though.

I work with and make down products darn near every day Most down products whether a sleeping bag, jacket or hat are made up of the same stuff so care is essentially the same for all. You've got a synthetic shell, usually some type of nylon with a DWR coating and then of course your down.

The most important part of the product is the down itself. It's little hairs on each puff of down give you the insulation and warmth you want when using it and you can damage those, so only use a cleaner specifically made for down. It sounds like you've got some of the right cleaner already. I personally use either ReviveX or Nikwax down cleaner, both seem to be about the same.

As for cleaning, I use my home washer, which is a front loading washer. So either use your bathtub, a large sink or a front loading washer on delicate. Never use a top loading washer that has the agitator, that will tear seams and overall destroy your bag pretty fast.

Now for drying I use, again, my own home dryer. What you have to be careful of is not to melt the fabric of the bag, so... Just put the bag in and air fluff or whatever non-hot setting you have. Warm is fine but if you have a crummy dryer then you might want to find a friend with a nicer one. Add not only the bag, but a few tennis balls. They'll make a racket, but they'll break up clumps and help fluff the bag dry.

I usually pull my bag out mid cycle and hand break up clumps and flip the bag around. It usually takes my bag 2 full cycles on low heat to dry but when it's done each baffel should be much more full than before you washed it. If it isn't then you probably still need to dry it. Also make sure to get it totally dry, you don't want mold growing in your down!

My dryer is a front loader but I dont think theres anyway to get it all in there without stuffing the thing in there.

I concur with the tennis balls. I dry mine in the drier on low with a couple of tennis balls and have no problems with my bag.

Images

http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s%20and%20Care

is what i follow (even though i don't own a WM bag). simply clean bag in tub, then put it into a garbage bag and drive to the laundrymat. i'm too afraid to ruin my bags in our household dryer
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

BlackRock has pretty much hit the nail on the head. But whether you wash and dry at home, or wash at home and dry at a laundrymat, make absolutely certain that, when you lift the bag to transfer it from the washing machine to the dryer, you lift it from underneath. Down gets HEAVY when it gets wet, and if you lift it from the top, the internal baffles can be very easily ripped out.

Washing in the tub always seemed like work to me, so I always take my bag to the laundrymat and use the front-loading washer and the BIG dryer. Tennis balls are good - but sneakers are noisier!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i dont wash down, and never will. never the same afterwards in my opinion.

same for raingear.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    i dont wash down, and never will. never the same afterwards in my opinion.

same for raingear.
    some raingear (eg. goretex) recommends (requires?) that you wash it to maintain waterproofness, softness, breathableness....

I was thinking of running a test on cleaning down and this thread has me interested in trying it.

Here is my plan, let me know what you think or if you have other ideas.

I'll sew two small pillows out of some downproof ripstop dwr coated fabric. Then I'll measure out the same amount of down for both and take pics. After that I'll run the bags through a number of tests. I can soak them in water, compress them for days and maybe roll them in the dirt. After more pics I'll clean each with a different product. Maybe use Nikwax or Revivex on one and simple detergent on the other, then dry and compare the loft and water repellency of the fabric.

I can then finish it by pulling the down out and see how it actually looks.

Good idea? Anyone interested? I just think Solemates is too worried about the down and I think I can prove it. After seasons of use on my bags they always do better after a good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRock View Post
    I was thinking of running a test on cleaning down and this thread has me interested in trying it.

I'll sew two small pillows out of some downproof ripstop dwr coated fabric. Then I'll measure out the same amount of down for both and take pics. After that I'll run the bags through a number of tests. I can soak them in water, compress them for days and maybe roll them in the dirt. After more pics I'll clean each with a different product. Maybe use Nikwax or Revivex on one and simple detergent on the other, then dry and compare the loft and water repellency of the fabric.

Good idea? Anyone interested? I just think Solemates is too worried about the down and I think I can prove it. After seasons of use on my bags they always do better after a good cleaning.
    That would be pretty cool actually. Make sure to use the same down for all 3 test subjects. You could even do something about drying in a machine or air drying too.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    That would be pretty cool actually. Make sure to use the same down for all 3 test subjects. You could even do something about drying in a machine or air drying too.
    I get down in fairly large batches already. It can change slightly from batch to batch but is usually pretty close. For the test I'd use down from the same batch for sure.

As for air drying, I can say the down stays clumped more unless you agitate it. It's the "loft" that gives you warmth, so the puffier you can get your down the warmer it will be. Air drying combined with fluffing it might produce similar results, but definitely something to check out.

I just started up a test. You can check it out in my thread here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...359#post804359

I have washed down bags in my bathtub and air dried them. Yes it does take days even in hot and or windy weather.to lift it out of the bath I put a sting hammock under it and lift and squeeze (gently...) . I cannot tell the difference (apart from smell and clean look of the fabric) between the before and after.
    Franco

Images

if you didn't read the WM link. they recommend you roll your bag gently in the tub to strain out excess water before lifting it
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I would highly recommend washing by hand, the problem with machines is that they can rip the baffles, which are quite defecate. The ripped baffles would lead to utter ruin of the bag.

Oh, are you the Earl Gray who hiked in 2007, I hiked with an Earl Gray in New Hampshire.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by big_muddy View Post
    I would highly recommend washing by hand, the problem with machines is that they can rip the baffles, which are quite defecate....
    If your baffles are quite DEFECATE, that's always a good reason to wash the bag!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Yeah man its me. Whats happenin.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRock View Post

maybe so....I just know what works for me. my wife has washed her down jackets before and you are right....they do fine afterwards.

make sure you have a control in your experiment or it is worthless.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++