WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Narrow Feet

Default Narrow Feet

I searched on here for a recent thread addressing the best narrow hiking shoes, but could not find anything in depth. I have extremely narrow feet - to the point where, when hiking, I cannot wear a typical trail runner, much less a typical boot. I also blister horribly. As a result of the blisters, I only wear trail runners.

Has anyone come across any narrow trail runners that they have had a positive experience with? Related question: if not widely available, where did you find them.

If it helps, I am thinking about going with Salomons for my next pair. I am currently in a pair of North Face Betassos - they are fairly narrow and tighten up nicely, and fine in the heel, but a little too roomy in the forefoot.

I know that the content of the post might indicate that I am interested in blister remedies, but I am working on that and do not need extra answers for it right now - in fact, this is kind of an angle of that problem. Thanks!

Default New Balance

I suggest looking at something from New Balance. They make trail runners and other sneakers in various widths. my families feet tend to run narrow. we get many of our sneakers from the New Balance outlet in Lawrence, MA. they have a website too.

I second the suggestion for New Balance. I have narrow feet, too (6AA) and have a hard time finding shoes and boots. I've had a lot of success with New Balance running shoes. I'll actually be shopping for some trail runners this weekend. If I find anything, I'll let you know!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can always check at a good running shop and get properly fitted. That's what I did.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

My wife and son have crazy narrow feet. I believe that New balance is the only option.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I appreciate the input. Unfortunately, the nearest new balance shop around where I live is a joke - plus, it is about 12 miles away, which, for someone living in the city, is like being in the next state. Because of my blister issues, I am reluctant to order shoes online before using them, even if they have a free return policy, because there is such a high probability that they won't be right that it becomes a huge hassle. I will definitely look for somewhere else nearby that carries narrows or are willing to order them to the store.

I have heard that La Sportivas and Salomons also tend to run narrow. Has anyone with narrow feet worn these?

Thanks again for all the answers.

-

new balance can be ordered online ,any good road running shoe works for most hiking, it does not need to be labeled a trail runner. Another good reason to go with NB the sizes run good across the product line so after a good fitting online should work

Images

I have size 12 feet with narrow heels, and average width across the ball of my feet. It is very hard to find a good fit.

I've tried La Sportivas but keep returning to TNF. They're the only TNF gear / apparel that I use. The tread lasts about one season. No problem with the uppers or water resistance.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Inov-8's tend to run narrow.
    http://www.inov-8.com/

Default Narrow feet

Merrell Overdrive.

Great shoes. Bonus: if you wear gaiters, they have a protected slot in the sole for the strap to go thru: no shredded straps!

I just got a pair of NB 1500 boots...I'm narrow (B) and low-volume. Got from nbwebexpress.com (NB's online store). Local store had some narrows, but not my size. First ordered a 13B (always worn a 13 in Red Wings, etc). Too short. Simple process to return and get a 14B -- they paid return shipping, and since I'd forked out for 2nd day air, the replacements also shipped 2nd day UPS. Also, they went on sale the day after I'd ordered the first pair, and they honored the sale price and credited my card ($17 bucks).

I have moderately wide feet, and I wear New Balance standard width shoes - so take that for what it's worth. I've always found Nike's to be too narrow for my feet - they might be worth a look, but they certainly aren't cheap.

I've got very narrow heels and forefoot, and I've found New Balance 642 to be very comfortable and supportive. In fact, I wear them to work every day.

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

saucony running shoe that comes in a narrow. grid omni would be a starting point.

you can likely find one online somewhere.

I always try to avoid brand recomendations, but for the description of your foot you must have a shoe that comes in a narrow and Saucony is my go to in that instance. you will only be able to get a regular running shoe no trail runner but that is ok fit is most important

peace
    mf

Try Zappos.com - free shipping BOTH ways. Large selection. I used them during my thru - after I settled on Montrail Hardrocks - which seemed to have a narrow heel and a normal forefoot then (but think model has changed & am not sure of new model fit) - to ship a couple of weeks ahead and was very pleased with service and timeliness.

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    I just got a pair of NB 1500 boots...I'm narrow (B) and low-volume. Got from nbwebexpress.com (NB's online store). Local store had some narrows, but not my size. First ordered a 13B (always worn a 13 in Red Wings, etc). Too short. Simple process to return and get a 14B -- they paid return shipping, and since I'd forked out for 2nd day air, the replacements also shipped 2nd day UPS. Also, they went on sale the day after I'd ordered the first pair, and they honored the sale price and credited my card ($17 bucks).

This reminds me, NB runs small. Order one size up.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'm much like Egads -- narrow, low volume, narrow heel. I've tried quite a few brands but TNF is the only one that doesn't cause blisters and doesn't cause my feet to feel like hamburger at the end of the day. Like you, I'm intrigued by La Sportiva and I'll probably give them a go when my current pair of TNF light boots wear out. I do a LOT of running and fit is everything -- for my running shoes, Brooks is my choice. But I've worn Asics and gotten by with those, too.

If you really suffer from blistering (as I did), I'd highly recommend looking at the myriad of articles on foot care and blister prevention at www.badwater.com That's an ultrarunning site and they have tons of great info. Since reading their stuff, I've started pretaping with Johnson&Johnson Elastikon tape. It's totally stopped heel blisters.

Good luck.

++ New Posts ++