WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no. i have my pistol at the ready. shoot first, inquire later
    Makes mental note . . . "Do not night hike up to where LW is camping" . . . got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    psh. guns. some marines you are. what ever happened to destroying things with your hands? lemme see yer war face.
    To our resident Marines--from the movie "Full Metal Jacket"--a Rifleman's Bedtime Prayer:

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it....until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Amen! My Brothers, 50 Cal, M16, and Blooper were my VERY BEST friends for 20 mos. in VN. Over there we didn't sleep much as every noise in the night really was someone trying to kill us. I sleep just fine in the woods over here because a night noise is probably just a bear sniffing around the tent. Nothing to worry about, just another pack sniffer.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

haven't really been scared of the dark exactly, since i was a kid, but sometimes i still do get that weird feeling like there's something watching me and my hair stands all up. i hike with dogs, though, so if they're not upset i don't really worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    haven't really been scared of the dark exactly, since i was a kid, but sometimes i still do get that weird feeling like there's something watching me and my hair stands all up. i hike with dogs, though, so if they're not upset i don't really worry about it.
    I wish I was a dog person for that reason alone... When I get that feeling that causes my "hair to stand up", I usually take that as a sign that my long unused pre civilized insticts are trying to tell me something... And I always listen, and move on quickly, even if that means striking camp and moving on.. Most times i'm sure it's nothing, and having a dog around as an instinct barometer would be a nice peice of security..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    I wish I was a dog person for that reason alone... When I get that feeling that causes my "hair to stand up", I usually take that as a sign that my long unused pre civilized insticts are trying to tell me something... And I always listen, and move on quickly, even if that means striking camp and moving on.. Most times i'm sure it's nothing, and having a dog around as an instinct barometer would be a nice peice of security..
    That's one reason i like to hike with Phoebe. Since an incident a few years ago when i had sudden hearing loss (profound in one ear, minimal in the other), I'm pretty much oblivious to things going on around me... I figure if she's not "at alert," then there's nothing to worry about, and most of the time she is alerted to something, it's a bird, squirrel, or insect....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

From ghoulies and ghosties
    And long-leggedy beasties
    And things that go bump in the night,
    Good Lord, deliver us!

I am that which scares in the night.

i was so used to hiking with my dog til i lost her last year, she would always let me know when someone/something was around. we night hiked alot to stay cool! but was never to scared in the dark. alot more scared of running out of mountain money(TP).

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    yeah, my girls don't get excited about much so if they're at attention, something is really wrong. roots and i did a hike last fall and had coyotes circling our tents for hours. the girls just raised their heads once and then went right back to sleep since it was something they're used to and didn't feel threatened by. the only time my old blue heeler freaked out was after we made camp one night about 15 years ago and some weird freak walked up on our campsite. she absolutely lost it and i had to tackle her to keep her from tearing into him. never saw her like that again in her 13 years of life. he would not leave the camp and she would not settle down and the guys had to forcefully get him to go. that dog stayed up all night in the front of the tent on full alert. turns out several days down the trail, we heard reports of this guy where people were having major problems with the guy bothering them too and seeing him in the shelter practicing what he called "black majic". baaaadd mojo and that dog knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    To our resident Marines--from the movie "Full Metal Jacket"--a Rifleman's Bedtime Prayer:

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it....until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."
    Rifleman's Creed. Not prayer
    http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/ma...39;s_creed.htm

Lone Wolf sleeps with a night light. It is not because Lone Wolf is afraid of the dark. It is because the dark is afraid of Lone Wolf.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Hey, what more do you expect from a wimpy Army Chaplain? I was lucky to get as much right in that post as I did!

Semper Gumby! (Always Flexible!)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Hey, what more do you expect from a wimpy Army Chaplain? I was lucky to get as much right in that post as I did!

Semper Gumby! (Always Flexible!)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
    you done good for an Army dog

I honestly believe there are folks who won't hike because of the fear of night noises. Just a thought for folks who don't hike with dogs or weapons and just can't get any sleep in the woods because of EVERY noise. It would be easy to set a little trip wire (para cord or fish line) about 18-20" off the ground around your tent 15-20' out that would dislodge a wedged rock or stick when tripped. With that you only have one noise to listen for and should be able to train yourself to ignore the rest. Just don't wander out too far to pee or you'll probably scare yourself. Ok guys, call it stupid, but it may be better for someone than getting no rest and stopping a hike. Enjoy the journey!

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Amen! My Brothers, 50 Cal, M16, and Blooper were my VERY BEST friends for 20 mos. in VN. Over there we didn't sleep much as every noise in the night really was someone trying to kill us. I sleep just fine in the woods over here because a night noise is probably just a bear sniffing around the tent. Nothing to worry about, just another pack sniffer.
    50 Cal, M16 ? I'd like to have one of them bad boys.

afraid of the dark?

rarely is it really dark. keep the dang light off and you might be surprised how much you can see.

keep you mind open and you will see even more

Kanati, Ya, they were pretty sweet. I took care of them and they took care of me. Can't forget the Blooper (M79 Grenade Launcher), that was a nice piece! I bet you'd like one of those little guys too.

It would be kind of funny if people who had guns shot themselves while asleep because they feel they need one to protect themselves in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    It would be kind of funny if people who had guns shot themselves while asleep because they feel they need one to protect themselves in the woods.
    no ****!. i shot my right calf 5 years ago. took a long time to heal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++