WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: military gear

Default military gear

i was wondering if anyone has ever done a major trail thru hike with just standard issue military gear?

Images

Probably. But why bother? Most military equipment is poorly suited to civilian hiking needs.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

New trail name..."G.I. Joe"....

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

i've done large section hikes using either alice rucksacks or molle framed packs. stupid idea. everything is twice or three times as heavy as it needs to be.

the only military thing i keep around is my military issue thermarest
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Some things are ok and cheap from Surplus stores:
    Esbit stoves and tabs, ponchos wool sweaters, polypro long underware,1 qt canteens

The trade for cheap is that t is usually heavier than whats available from you local backpacking store.

Images

August (05 and 08) used mostly military equipment. But last year two young guys with lots of heavy military stuff hiked from Katahdin Stream to Abol Bridge and went home after falling in the water and losing stuff in a small ford. Paul (Ole Man) had tried to get them to lighten their loads, but they wouldn't hear of it... When they called him to pick them up they said "we're the idiots who wouldn't listen"

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Just did a little backpacking trip with the Boy Scouts, some of the boys have dads in the military and were carrying all military gear. I try to teach the boys how to backpack light but these boys were way heavy and dragging by the and of a 10 mile day.

Images

The Military does it all the time. Comfort and lightweight are not the first design concerns. Reliable and cost effective are probably their top design traits.

More knowledegable people may correct me, but I believe that military types who actually travel on foot a lot (special forces) mostly use commercial gear.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    More knowledegable people may correct me, but I believe that military types who actually travel on foot a lot (special forces) mostly use commercial gear.
    It varies. Regular infantry spends a lot of time on their feet, and they use standard issue gear.

I was in a "special" unit and we got some special issue packs from Gregory and arctic/mountaineering tents from The North Face for Norway deployments, and they were actually a little heavier than regular issue gear (but MUCH more comfortable). We were allowed to use civilian clothing in the field, especially base layers, as long as they were in "tactical" colors. And we could get away with civilian boots as long as they were dark "tactical" colors.

Outside of arctic deployments, we still mostly used standard issue gear. My one exception was the Thermarest I always carried.

When I thru-hiked, the only issue gear I carried was the outer green bag of the USMC modular sleeping bag system. It went with me from Hot Springs to Katahdin.

Nowadays, I'll often carry a milspec poncho liner in summer.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Back in the 70's most hikers only had two choices, Coleman type external packs and bags or military surplus. A surplus alice pack properly setup wasn't too bad before ultra light packs.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

There were a lot of Kelty packs on the trail in the mid 60s

Images

Just a few items. Knit hat, wool gloves, field pants liners, field jacket liner.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

well i still use my alice pack occasionally mostly for hunting trips. i also use my poncho and my camelbac 3l thats about all i use from issue gear myself.

Images

Alice pack for trail maintenance, Camel Bak occasionally for bushwacking.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Military surplus poncho liners are great, they are lightweight, mostly inexpensive, they take a beating and have many uses (ground sheet, blanket, sleeping bag liner, etc.). I usually pack one with me.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I have used surplus military gear for many years. When I got interested in hiking and backpacking again I used it because it was dirt cheap and rugged. As time went on, I was able to replace it with regular gear, and I'm still looking for a nice light 3-day pack that can take some abuse. No problem, though. I'll find one.

But that surplus stuff got me hiking again until I could afford better equipment.

"You go with what you got, not with what you wish you had."

aka Kudzu
    Images

My buddy does. This is him hiking with us through part of the Florida Trail. Notice the combat boots. He even bloused his fatigue pants.

JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Military surplus poncho liners are great, they are lightweight, mostly inexpensive, they take a beating and have many uses (ground sheet, blanket, sleeping bag liner, etc.). I usually pack one with me.
    Way back when my pack, PRC 25 radio cover and web gear were canvas. When I cleared post in Dian I sent some stuff home as "hold baggage." I wrapped a few things in what I had...which was one fatigue shirt (P38 in pocket) and one poncho. So after over 40 years those are the only things I have from that time. Everything else was taken (including the clothes on our backs) in shake down inspection at each stop. They gave us one new uniform to go home in. I have a new poncho liner and the old one. The old one is every bit as good to go as the new one.

Images

I use a USGI poncho and a Swedish stove/mess kit. For SHORT hikes in cool weather I have a USGI intermediate cold sleeping bag, but it is HEAVY.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++