WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Underestimating the A.T.

Where did you underestimate the trail? What mistakes did you make that others can learn from? The question for all you long time thru hikes and long distance hikers on the A.T. is, "what can you tell the first time hiker about how you underestimated the trail?

Sure we all can say hike your own hike, pack light. I would ask you to respond beyond the obvious. For example, "what section of the trail in the first 30 did you underestimate??" For me it was TRYING TO HIKE from Low Gap to Tray Mountain. I underestimated the difficulty of the climb out of Unicoi Gap to Tray. Should have planned to stop at Blue Mountain.

I am sure you all, even section hikers of the A.T. could give some words of wisdom.

For us, the most naive move we made was over estimating our daily mileage goals.

We did a 10 day section in CT and our first days were planned for 24, 27, 22, and 23 miles.

Needless to say about halfway in to day 1 we learned how much energy the AT zaps from you and that we weren't going to come close to the 24 miles we had planned.

As a section hiker, I do my homework, don't push too hard, and discover the section I plan is easier than most describe. My mistake thinking that others know how I will feel about my hike.

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    For me it was TRYING TO HIKE from Low Gap to Tray Mountain. I underestimated the difficulty of the climb out of Unicoi Gap to Tray. Should have planned to stop at Blue Mountain.

Ditto that. I went from 2miles before blue mt shelter NOBO to tray shelter and I was out of energy and could barely manage to eat once I got to the shelter. I had it set in my mind that I was going to make it to tray mt shelter and in hindsight I should have stopped and just set up camp. Those three big up and downs took there toll.

Remember mt walking is nothing like walking.

As a group of weekend hikers we thought we'd be able to do more than we could. After a couple of weekends where we did about 6 miles per day we thought we could get up to 12 a day. The Maryland section was significantly rockier than we thought it would be and slowed us down considerably. We did it, but really didn't enjoy the hike. Rate of change of elevation is one thing, are there any guide that describe the path itself - eg smooth, very rocky, etc.?

Images

Being from Michigan I was not used to hills over a mile long. As a section hiker I spend a lot more time trying to stay in shape. I know if I don't I will "die" on the trail.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

From Texas, thought I'd be able to do 15 plus days... haha... found out I needed to stay under 10 to start. Only after a month or so was I really in shape to do 15 or more. For the first four years, Dragon's Tooth was the hardest section I ever did. But last year I really underestimated Maine!

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I can't remember her name, but a favorite quote always comes to mind from a would be thru hiker who said, " I planned for a long time and everything was going great until I hit the approach trail." She went back down and quit her thru attempt without even making it to Springer.

Listen to your body, don't get too ambitious before you get your trail legs and never believe the folks who tell you the shelter is just 20 minutes away and it's all down hill. The AT is as hard as it is rewarding, but you can complete it by paying attention and working with it. If you try to conquer or fight the AT it will most likely win and your dream will be shattered. If a hiker can make it through the first 2-3 weeks, get their trail legs and adapt the attitude to stay with it long term they should be fine. LW is right, "It's just walkin". I'll add that it helps to add tenacity and persistence to the walk.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I was on the trail for 2 weeks into my first thru hike before I found out that it was more than 1,000 miles long.
    I think almost everybody underestimates Georgia...don't realize the steepness, the altitudes, the coldness.

geek

Images

Umm, the Approach Trail.

I was fresh out of the Marine Corps and in great shape. But Camp LeJeune is awfully flat, so the sensation of climb 300 feet, descend, climb 500 feet, descend, repeat was tougher than I figured it would be. I was still able to start off with 16 and 14 mile days, but it was considerably tougher hiking than I had done previously despite my pack weight being only about 1/2 what I had carried in service.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I mis-estimated most everything. Except the desire to be out there. That one proves to be right on the money while I'm out there. . . and during the winter when I yearn to be out there. . .

Images

I didn't take into account that the biggest head games would probably come on some of the easiest days.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I thought people were cuckoo to want to quit by Neel Gap. Until I did it and realized how tough it can be, esp starting out and likely weighted down by items in your pack you don't need. Then I understood why many do throw in the towel there.

And the Stecoahs were nasty...wasn't expecting that at all.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I didn't take into account that the biggest head games would probably come on some of the easiest days.

Now this should be put on a bumper sticker or t shirt.
    Excellent.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I thought people were cuckoo to want to quit by Neel Gap. Until I did it and realized how tough it can be, esp starting out and likely weighted down by items in your pack you don't need. Then I understood why many do throw in the towel there.

And the Stecoahs were nasty...wasn't expecting that at all.
    I was so old school on my first section hike, I just wanted it to end and I wasn't coming back. On the last day, we ran into another section hiker who was packing light and really moving. Right then and there, I said there is more to this than I thought. I did my homework, downsized on weight and junk and had a blast next time. Quitting is not an option.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    I can't remember her name, but a favorite quote always comes to mind from a would be thru hiker who said, " I planned for a long time and everything was going great until I hit the approach trail." She went back down and quit her thru attempt without even making it to Springer.
    That would be funny...if it wasn't so pathetic.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

I underestimated how hard it is to leave town in the rain...can you say zero day?!

Quote Originally Posted by ao2008 View Post
    I underestimated how hard it is to leave town in the rain...can you say zero day?!
    leaving town in the rain is one of the dumbest things i've people do

Images

I know man!

Before I started the AT in 2000 I'd read on Trailplace that a guy from Texas had so much trouble hiking the approach trail that he quit and went home. I learned from his mistake...I didn't hike the approach trail.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++