WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Two night hike; Harpers Ferry

I am planning on a three day, two night hike around Harpers Ferry. Any ideas, information or suggestions are appreciated. Also interested in a shuttle to pick us up once we park our vehicle in HF.

Thanks in advance!

Pen Mar to HF is what you seek.

For a shuttle, consult the ATC's List.

PenMar to HF is 41 miles i.e. more than 13 miles per day. Are your 3 days full days i.e. starting 8 AM the first day, hiking until 6-7 the last day? Only you know if you're capable of hiking at the pace required for 3 days. If so, it's a nice-enough section. Highlights include Annapolis Rocks and the view of the Potomac from Weverton Cliffs. The last 3 miles is flat, along the C&O Canal.

The other-side option is hiking 33 miles NOBO from Rt. 50/Ashby Gap. While less mileage than Pen-Mar, you start with the renown "Virginia Roller Coaster" - constant up-and-down for 14 miles to Snickers Gap. Personally, I don't think it's too bad it's not even the toughest "roller coaster" on the AT - and with only 3 days worth of food, your pack should be fairly light.

No matter which hike you choose, I recommend hiking in the direction of HF because it's safe to store your car there.

Images

Surprisingly I think the MD section has more good views. Its definately easier and there are a great series of shelters in that section.

For shuttle, contact the ATC or Harpers Ferry Outfitters.

Thanks for the great input! We have decided on the Penmar-HF trip and will use HF Outfitters, parking our car there and then getting their shuttle. Any thoughts on travelling North Vs. South??

I went sobo from HF's last year down past Snickers Gap to the Bears Den Hostel. I left HF about 11:00 am on the first day,stayed overnight at Blackburn and then made it Bear's Den by 4:00pm the next day. It was a nice short little trip. Not hard,but alot of nice sights.
    Komu pora,temu czas

Thanks Jo-To!

Call The Outfitter Store in Harpers Ferry. One of their folks shuttled us up to PenMar last summer and there are about 3 other gaps along South Mountain where you could be dropped off.

I did Pen Mar to HF last summer. Lots of goods views, Civil War sites etc. A very good hike that broke up the boredom with the parks and history lessons along the way. The hot shower that is available just off the hwy and along the trail, forget the name, was a wonderful thing. Park in the National Park parking lot and get your shuttle to meet you there to take you out to Pen Mar. It is a safe place to park and you do not have to worry about your car while you are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2 View Post
    Thanks for the great input! We have decided on the Penmar-HF trip and will use HF Outfitters, parking our car there and then getting their shuttle. Any thoughts on travelling North Vs. South??
    We have a shuttle?

Jester
    The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Hey Mongoose when are u leaving... I'm thinking of doing the same trip this weekend. If you are as well and would be interested in splitting the shuttle, send me a pm!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    We have a shuttle?

Jester
    . . .which is to say, we do occasionally shuttle people, but there's no "official" shuttle service set up. If you would like to be shuttled by someone here, you might want to contact us before showing up. Employees and the bosses here will run shuttles based on our individual availability and the availability of vehicles. So give us a call first!

Jester

Jester, thanks for the info; I called a few days ago , a young lady told me no problem.....just call a few days out. She was very nice, recommending that I park my car in HF and then hike North to PenMar, calling when I was ready for a pick up. I promised to call in a few days in advance. Now you say no "official shuttle." Will I be left with my thumb in the air? Should I look elsewhere? Thanks for the scoop

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Hey Mongoose when are u leaving... I'm thinking of doing the same trip this weekend. If you are as well and would be interested in splitting the shuttle, send me a pm!
    We are going out on 4/23. Based on what Jester says, I may be looking for another shuttle. Have a great hike!

We are going out on 4/23. Based on what Jester says, I may be looking for another shuttle. Have a great hike!
    Nah, it's fine. What I mean to say is that there's no set schedule for shuttling, and I didn't want someone to just show up and expect, for example, the only floor employee working to close up the shop and drive them somewhere.

Alternately someone might show up to find that the only people not working are already engaged, as will be this case this Friday (shuttling a cyclist to Pittsburgh).

I just didn't want someone to show up unannounced expecting a shuttle, and then badmouth us when no one here could do it.

Calling a few days in advance is just fine, but personally I think it might be a better idea to have someone here drop you at Pen-Mar and have you hike Southbound back to your car. That way you wouldn't have to wait around for us to get to you when you're done hiking.

I agree, thanks Jester!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I think it might be a better idea to have someone here drop you at Pen-Mar and have you hike Southbound back to your car. That way you wouldn't have to wait around for us to get to you when you're done hiking.
    That sounds grand, i'll be calling later today.

Default do i need a tent?

If I start at US 50 and plan to stay at Bears Den Hostel and then at Blackburn Trail Center can I get to HF without lugging a tent?

++ New Posts ++