WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 35* Sleeping bag

Could any of you sleeping bag experts tell me IF there is a 35 degree sleeping bag available that weighs between 16 oz and 22 oz ? Could you also identify them for me? I can search from there. Thnaks for your input.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    Could any of you sleeping bag experts tell me IF there is a 35 degree sleeping bag available that weighs between 16 oz and 22 oz ? Could you also identify them for me? I can search from there. Thnaks for your input.
    Right now Northern Lights Trading Co. has the Western Mountaineering Caribou MF on sale for $200.00. Sounds like alot but it's usually almost 300 bucks and it's a lifetime bag! Down, 35 degree rating, very water resistant fabric, super small when packed and only 20 ounces in size medium...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

You can also get the WM Highlite, a 35 degree bag from the same manufacturer for only 16 ounces, but the fabric is EXTREMELY light and somewhat fragile. I thought the Caribou better suited my ham fisted nature...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Another satisfied Caribou user!

Default 35* Sleeping Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    You can also get the WM Highlite, a 35 degree bag from the same manufacturer for only 16 ounces, but the fabric is EXTREMELY light and somewhat fragile. I thought the Caribou better suited my ham fisted nature...
    Northern Lights Trading Co. has almost all the "lite" except for the Highlite 35. I just searched them. Thanks for the info.

A Feathered Friends Rock Wren is rated to 35 (I've used mine to the low twenties comfortably with no extra clothing). It happens to weigh 27oz (in 1.7oz Epic) but it also functions as a winter parka. It works great in a hammock also.

I've been using the WM Highlite for more than two yrs. now and I'm very happy with it. Mine weighs 17 oz for the long version. Reg is 16 oz. In its stuffsack it compresses to the size of two lg. grapefruits. With those kinds of wts. the manufacturer, Western Mountaineering, who I think makes some of the finest down bags on the market, has designed a thermally efficient mummy cut bag that I don't think most chunky hikers would find very comfortable. This bag, like all the WM bags I've owned or discussed with other hikers, has an accurate temp. rating. The Highlite is offered as a summer bag, but I've extended its usable season by sometimes adding a silk liner and/or pairing it with a 6.5 oz bivy. With the liner and bivy and a 9 oz sleep pad I've comfortably slept in windy rainy exposed 20 temps. I'm a relatively cold sleeper and start out on my back and roll from side to side throughout the night. I found the cut needed some time for me to get used to, but I now think it meets my comfortabilty level. The Highlite doesn't have a draft tube. I have had no issues with losing loft, zippers, or stitching, and the silky feeling light wt. Taffeta fabric looks like the day I bought it, despite that I have over 4000 trail miles on the bag. I tend to treat my UL gear with some measure of TLC, but I don't think I've treated this bag any different than my heavier or synthetic bags. To some degree, pairing it with the bivy may account for some of its "in almost new condition", but it is still a very good quality bag, especially for the wt.! If you're still into counting ozs, like me, and don't mind breaking the piggy bank, there are some other fine down 30-40* bags of high quality made by Marmot, Feathered Friends, Montbell, Exped, and Nunatak that are in your wt. range. You may also want to check out GoLite and North Face for a 35*

Images

Check out the Western Mountaineering Summerlite. It is a 32 degree bag with a full zipper. I like the Highlite, but wish it had a locking zipper. In my experience, if you don't attach the velcro the zipper unzips as I sleep. You can't go wrong with a Western bag.

Images

another vote for the caribou... love mine.

W.M. makes a great bag and will last a long time.

BTW nice pic of you in the youth days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcarver View Post
    Check out the Western Mountaineering Summerlite. It is a 32 degree bag with a full zipper. I like the Highlite, but wish it had a locking zipper. In my experience, if you don't attach the velcro the zipper unzips as I sleep. You can't go wrong with a Western bag.

I'll second the locking zipper idea. Are you listening WM?

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Mont Bell makes several... heard good things about them.
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Phantom 32 is not a bad option.

-

I will second the feathered friends, got mine with over fill in the footbox, best thing is getting up at nite or morning to P and do not have to get out of the bag, just pull it up

I just bought a WM Summerlite today. Can't wait to use it! Rated to 32 degrees, 1 lb 3 oz for the 6' version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    I just bought a WM Summerlite today. Can't wait to use it! Rated to 32 degrees, 1 lb 3 oz for the 6' version.
    You will be very happy with a life long WM bag.

A montbell #3 spiral down hugger weighs 19 oz.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I don't know what my WM Megalite weighs, but I love it. Made in the USA too. I like my Golite Ultra 20 a lot too though. Take care of a WM, and it's definitely a lifetime investment.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    A Feathered Friends Rock Wren is rated to 35 (I've used mine to the low twenties comfortably with no extra clothing). It happens to weigh 27oz (in 1.7oz Epic) but it also functions as a winter parka. It works great in a hammock also.
    I am another big fan of this design. I have the Exped version.

I no longer carry my down jacket as my sleeping bag now servers that purpose, saving weight and space.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Default Caribou users

Does the WM Caribou have completely sewn-through stitching, or is it baffled to create boxes in which the down can loft? Do you notice the lack of a baffle along the zipper? That is, do you get a lot of air-flow through the zipper?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++