Thread: Backpack Help

Default Backpack Help

Hi - I've been doing a lot of research and the Gregory Jade 50 has gotten a good deal of positive feedback. I'm interested in any opinions about backpacks...

I used the gregory jade 50 for 3 weeks on the AT and LOVED it. I put my thermarest in the shove it pocket on the outside but everything else fit in.

There is a bigger Jade out now too

I saw 5 women with the Gregory Deva but it is much heavier than the Jade. If you go with the Jade make sure you keep your pack weight under 35 lb. My load in my Jade 50 was never over 30lb.

During hiking resaerch i found a great about hiking and trekking named www.hikinghelp.com where everyone get all the information about hiking, hiking products and can read hikinghelp blog.

It's not my pack. I'm a guy. But, all the Jade 50's I've seen women with while thru-hiking have impressed me.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used the Jade for four months on the AT. Still have it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

i like the Ospry Atmos 65 not sure of the weight diff. but i like the way i can pack it everything i have fits easly and it has pockets in the hipbelt that are great for a camara or snack and a vented back that makes it very comfortable to carry. They also make an areal desing for women
    GRAVY

Thanks for all the info. I eventually decided on the Deuter Act Lite 45+10. The size is great but I'll have more info. when I do a shakedown section hike on the ME AT in August...

Speakeasy

I've just picked up a GoLite Pinnacle. Weighs only 1lbs 6oz and is super comfortable.

I didn't buy the Jade because I fell in love with the Deva and the padding on the pack. With the Jade, it may be a little lighter, but there is nothing like the awesome back and shoulder support that the Deva provides. To me, it is worth the extra 2 lbs. I am a huge Deva supporter. There is a reason why it is one of the top female packs out there.

formerly amazonwoman

I just got a Gregory Jade 60 and I LOVE IT!!!! Can't wait to get it out for 4 days straight. Can't say enough good stuff about it. I do wish it had the straps on the bottom for fastening things on...like a sleeping pad but everything fits and I love it!
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

My favorite pack is the OSPREY Aura 50 or 65. I feel like a lot of women's packs (not gregorys as much) ride too low and just end up sitting on the shelf that is my butt. I love being organized, but i don't feel like i'm taking on more weight in my pack than is necessary. plus, the 65 has a sleeping bag compartment which I love. In the end, you really have to just try on all many of packs. WEight it down and walk around the store for a while. Just because something fits your back doesn't mean you won't feel other weird muscle strains once you get on the trail. It's really kind of a gamble either way. Women especially just have body types that are too different to classify in retail sizes. i hope you make a good choice!
    Rhapsodist

the osprey also has an amazing ventilation system. Air flow wise it is better than a frame pack.
    Rhapsodist

(Using husband's account)
    I used the Gregory Deva 60 on my thru. Would have loved to switch to the Jade (or any other lighter pack), but none were comfortable enough to wear. The Deva could carry a ton of weight like it was nothing! Also, for the Jade I would have had to sew on a smaller hip belt. So the removeable hipbelt of the Deva was nice.

check out the Aarn Featherlite Freedom- it rocks and carries WAY better than any pack I've carried.

I have sewn a Ray-way pack. I love it - because I made it, I like the colors I chose, and it is a very simple design. However I have found it to be very difficult for me if my load is greater than 15 lbs because it has no hip belt. I have tried, really.

So now I am sewing the G4 pack. I bought the kit from Quest outfitters. The capacity is a little bigger than the Ray-way and it has a hip belt. It is rated up to 30 lbs. I have decided I don't need to carry more than that.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'd like to see someone sew a G4 out of dyneema some day.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I eventually decided on the Deuter Act Lite 45+10. The size is great but I'll have more info. when I do a shakedown section hike on the ME AT in August...

Speakeasy
    Congratz on buying a REAL backpack

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    Congratz on buying a REAL backpack
    I have just bought my new pack for the AT its a Deuter, this is the second one I have owned. Yes I know its a bit on the heavy side, but I love the comfort and the fit short length and adjustable. This one has a few extra's that is an improvement on the old one (I have had that one for over 10 years) The hip belt and support system carries the weight exactly where I want it. Love the large side pockets and the little pocket on the hip belt, great for my digital camera, gloves or snacks.
    Also I like the idea of being able to carry everything inside the pack, top section for personal items, main body for thermarest, tent, sleeping bag and spare clothes, the bottom section I keep just for my food, and cooking equipment. Works really good for me.

++ New Posts ++