WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

Default College age nobo 2010?

Hey everyone,

My name is Mitch, and I am 21 and live in Lynchburg VA.
    Just posting this to get an idea if there are any college age young men or women who are planning a 2010 nobo thru-hike. Not even sure if I want to hike i solo or with some people, but might as well have all options open.
    Or, if you live in the surrounding virginia areas and want to do some dayhikes or something with someone new, hit me up and we'll see. Always willing to meet new people!

Thanks

Hi there!
    My name is Johanna and I am planning to nobo in 2010. I am graduating from college this spring and can't wait to hike next year! I am just looking to meet people to hike with - the parents aren't so keen on me just heading into the woods without knowing anyone/having a plan. Hope to hear from you soon!

Images

Hey,
    My name is alex, will be 21 in august and i am also planning a thru hike next spring. yes Johanna my parents aren't to excited about me just jumping into this alone either.

Images

Default your parents are wrong on this

you're in better hands on the trail than in college. No snooty profs.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Haha, I'm actually taking off a semester next spring to do this.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gobiggreen View Post
    Hi there!
    My name is Johanna and I am planning to nobo in 2010. I am graduating from college this spring and can't wait to hike next year! I am just looking to meet people to hike with - the parents aren't so keen on me just heading into the woods without knowing anyone/having a plan. Hope to hear from you soon!

You'll meet lots when you get there too. No different stranger-wise than college, at least I knew no one whe I got to college on my first day! You'll make new friends quickly on the trail. And plans go out the window after day two.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hi--- I'll be graduating from grad school mid-May 2010, I'll be 24 and plan on starting a Northbound thru-hike asap after that. Does anybody have concerns about starting in mid-May? Thanks!

Mid may is doable- but GA and NC will be hot and you'll need to move a quicker pace than average. Lots of people have done it, check out trailjournals.com and look at the start dates. you're looking at a 5 month hike to be done by mid oct. 6 months is more the norm. get in shape beforehand. You likely won't have any crowds til you catch up with the pack.

Can somebody please confirm/deny what I've heard about Baxter State Park only closing to overnight campers after October 15th and you can still hike Katahdin in the daytime in nice weather? If that's the case, I won't have to leapfrog as I'm starting mid-May and not looking to rush.

++ New Posts ++