WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Pilgrim of Serendipity

All joking aside... I'm afraid that bear is not long for this world. If he has already become that bold and unafraid of humans, it's only a matter of time before the park rangers have to put him down. Once they lose that inhibition, there's no going back. As someone else said, it won't be long before he's crawling into the shelters to forage in people's packs.

Yogi would have been summarily executed for his crimes in real life. Sad but true.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Images

With the many upon many people that go through the shelter areas throughout March and April, the bear have learned what is in those bags hanging up in the trees. I met a few last week that lost their food. I slept with mine and didn't go hungry.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Has anyone ever consider some firecrackers? Maybe the ones that are stringed up together and really loud?

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayJourneyman View Post
    Is there anyone here who's thru-hiked and didn't use a bear bag?
    Has anyone spent the $50 for the http://www.ursack.com/ ?

As posted here, regular bear bags can be defeated. I usually sleep w/food and to bear bag if really suspicious, but in either case I'm ready to pack up camp and move on and night hike if the bear comes thru.

Bears are hunted with dogs in southern states so they are mostly sensitized to human presence and will usually flee until fed once. It's like Roger the Ranger at Fontana said "a fed bear is a dead bear" because once it gets a food bag it's imprinted from then on and has to be relocated or killed because it's never going to quit.

It's sad to hear that the bear got the food bag once, then shameful to hear that later on in the same night was allowed to get another bag because the camp was not broken down and moved after the first theft (if I understood the first post correctly).

I usually just sleep with my food but have had to get up several times and move camp in the middle of the night because the bear just is not going to leave.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Images

So why after the 1st bag did you not move or rerig the bags to a different hanging setup? Its not the bears fault, and its only a matter of time before the AT corridor goes to mandatory Food Canisters.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    So why after the 1st bag did you not move or rerig the bags to a different hanging setup? Its not the bears fault, and its only a matter of time before the AT corridor goes to mandatory Food Canisters.
    Exactly... Once the bear made off with the first round, all remaining food should have been resecured using another method. And for those of you who sleep with your food, just remember, your food bag your using as a pillow, may someday be the easiest meal available...

Just out of curiousity what method was being used? My method of choice is the PCT method and have never had problems with wildlife walking away with my food...

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    you ever try to punch someone underwater? you aren't gonna hurt a shark that way.
    but lara croft did it!

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    All joking aside... I'm afraid that bear is not long for this world. If he has already become that bold and unafraid of humans, it's only a matter of time before the park rangers have to put him down. Once they lose that inhibition, there's no going back. As someone else said, it won't be long before he's crawling into the shelters to forage in people's packs.

Yogi would have been summarily executed for his crimes in real life. Sad but true.

not true. they've been trained that it's easy food for them. they can also be trained that it's painful food.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    It is kind of interesting. In GA and NC most every one seems to be scared of or at least a bit nervous about bare encounters.
    David

Please don't start a conversation about hike nekkid day.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    not true. they've been trained that it's easy food for them. they can also be trained that it's painful food.
    or they can be trained to learn that the foodbags give them DIARRHEA. Ex-Lax Brownies are going in my decoy food bag! I just better make sure I remember which bag is my decoy bag!

(for the record, j/k)

but it would help answer that famous, age old questions about bears and just where they poop in the woods...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by catfishrivers View Post
    but it would help answer that famous, age old questions about bears and just where they poop in the woods...

Thats already been answered on youtube ... just search bear sh** woods ..

Also a good reason to FILTER water ... you'll see-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPGFsgKDm_U

Images

just play Frisbee with the bear ,that will tire him good AT woods hole shelter
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

Leave that bear alone!!!! We have an understanding...... he brings me groceries...... I don't hunt him and his kin during the fall.
    Moses

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    Leave that bear alone!!!! We have an understanding...... he brings me groceries...... I don't hunt him and his kin during the fall.
    Righteous. . .

A hungry bear cannot be held a bay by a sleeping hiker. Check out the bear attacks in Montana and California.
    J D Cool

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    All joking aside... I'm afraid that bear is not long for this world. If he has already become that bold and unafraid of humans, it's only a matter of time before the park rangers have to put him down. ......
    I'm not sure why park rangers "have" to do anything. But I understand that is the usual practice. However, we shouldn't shy away from the truth. "Putting down" is a pleasant way to think about what happens. Rangers, in fact, kill the bear, using a gun that blows a hole in the bear. Sometimes the first shot doesn't kill the bear. If so, the bear sneaks away to die alone and in pain. If the bear is lucky the ranger will track it down and kill it with a second shot.

If the bear being "put down" is a female, she most likely will leave behind a cub or two, which will slowly starve to death without their mother.

Weary

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Hikers are....smarter than the average bear.....
    Yeah. Just don't carry your food in a pic-a-nic basket
    and you should be OK.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

i have some bear problems here at my house getting into my compost.i just gave him a few rounds from a paint ball gun havent seen him since.if he comes back he's gonna get the 12 gauge

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++