WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wilderness First Aid

I would like to take a wilderness first aid class before I leave and I'm wondering what everyones take is on it. Another question being does anyone know any reputable sources for these courses in or around New England. Closest I can seem to find to my area (western CT) is 5 hours away in upstate NY. I don't mind the drive, but if I can find somewhere closer... all the better. So... opinions? Suggestions?

closest one there is more than 5 hours away though... hopefully i can find something closer, im hoping for boston, hartford, providence, NYC area, all two hours or less away

Have you tried checking the Red Cross? Their First Aid courses are comprehensive -

Check with your local chapter of the American Red Cross. The basic course would be a little helpful, but assumes that back up is readily available. Some ARCs have courses oriented to the outdoors.

First Aid training is a like a good insurance policy. It is very good to have it if you need it, but you hope you don't. You are more likely to use it helping someone else than helping yourself, and when you do, you become a "Trail Angel."
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

If you cannot find one that fits your needs :
    nothing beats using common sence, neosporin, duct tape, read on the three ways to controll bleading, know the difference between heat exhaustion vs: stroke, maintaining a open airway and above all, controll your adrenaline so you can keep your head in the game during the emergency.

I strongly feel a manditory EMT course should be taught in HS with the other, need to knows.
    Good luck on finding a class and your SOBO thru.

What's the difference between first aid and wilderness first aid?

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    IMO, it would be transport time to difinitive treatment. The nearest med center with a saw-bones.

I went through the course offered by wfa.net a few years ago. I've had a number of first aid courses and CPR classes before, but this was far better than anything I've ever had. A number of concepts were covered that I had never heard of before. Things such as SOAP notes and a comprehensive physical exam were well presented. Other things that were presented, I was familiar with from boy scout training (youth and adult), but are not offered in a red cross first aid course. Things like improvising splints and when and how to move an injured person. From little things, like carrying an irrigation syringe, to big things, like getting an understanding how wilderness evacuations occur (slooowly), it was a great course.

Default a little more on the difference between first aid/wfa

In the wilderness you must

1.) Make an evaluation if an evacuation is needed.
    2.) If you do need an evac you can save precious time by using SOAP notes.
    (if SOAP notes are well done-EMT's will evac before sending in someone to evaluate)
    3.) Take care of patient for up to 12 hours
    4.) Understand the limitations of CPR when defibrillation is hours away.
    5.) If patient can be moved by himself or with group...make splints or a liter then move them.
    6.) deal with bites,stings,snakes, and other non-household hazards.

The course I took did a good job of teaching what we could do and what we could NOT do.

Images

For certification and liability issues, the difference is the protocols allowed to treat a patient.

In front country first aid, for example, once you c-spine a patient, you MUST maintain c-spine until someone with a higher certification (usually an MD) clears it.

Under wilderness protocols, a WFR may be allowed to release c-spine when certain criteria are met which would indicate the patient does NOT have a c-spine injury. Why? Because if a victim can walk out, or if the rescuing group can release a victim from c-spining, it makes the evacuation much quicker.

Under wilderness protocols, as a WFR, I was also authorized one attempt to reduce dislocations of the finger, knee cap, shoulder, etc. In the front country, I would lose my certification for it, because the protocol is pad/splint/transport.

Backcountry protocols allow for ibuprofen and water. Frontcountry allows neither because of concerns of vomiting when anesthetic is used.

There's really a whole host of interventions allowed to a responder or EMT in the wilderness that are not authorized in the frontcountry.

The difference in whether to use backcountry or frontcounty protocols? As Pacific Tortuga said, time to critical care. Depending on the region's protocols, wilderness medicine may be used if the patient is more than "x" number of hours from a hospital. I have worked (volunteered) in areas that set the divide at 1 and 2 hours.

For first aid, the difference may not be so significant. But for my First Responder and EMT, which carried both national and state certification, I was well aware that my certification could be revoked if I violated that standard of care.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    In the wilderness you must

1.) Make an evaluation if an evacuation is needed.
    2.) If you do need an evac you can save precious time by using SOAP notes.
    (if SOAP notes are well done-EMT's will evac before sending in someone to evaluate)
    3.) Take care of patient for up to 12 hours
    4.) Understand the limitations of CPR when defibrillation is hours away.
    5.) If patient can be moved by himself or with group...make splints or a liter then move them.
    6.) deal with bites,stings,snakes, and other non-household hazards.

The course I took did a good job of teaching what we could do and what we could NOT do.
    As a paramedic with over 20 years full time experience in a very rural setting I cannot agree with your last statement strongly enough! More often than not the situation is made worse by well intentioned bystanders who know just enough to be dangerous to the patient. Knowing what not to do is a common shortcoming.

Quick example: I arrived at the scene once to find a drunken woman attempting to do CPR on her friend who was valiantly trying to fend her off but ended up with broken ribs anyway. The patient later died from pneumonia as a complication of the rib fractures. She never had a serious problem, just a mild form of epilepsy which the well intentioned drunk knew nothing about...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    I went through the course offered by wfa.net a few years ago. I've had a number of first aid courses and CPR classes before, but this was far better than anything I've ever had. A number of concepts were covered that I had never heard of before. Things such as SOAP notes and a comprehensive physical exam were well presented. Other things that were presented, I was familiar with from boy scout training (youth and adult), but are not offered in a red cross first aid course. Things like improvising splints and when and how to move an injured person. From little things, like carrying an irrigation syringe, to big things, like getting an understanding how wilderness evacuations occur (slooowly), it was a great course.
    I will second this recommendation of this course. I took it about 5 years ago when my son moved into boy scouts. As a pediatrician, I knew everyone would assume I would be able to care for any mishaps. I also knew that there is a BIG difference between back country and front country first aid/ medical care. I learned a GREAT deal from this course and highly recommend it. Chris wanders the Southeast and Middle Atlantic states offering the course.

I have since earned Advanced Wilderness Life Support certification, but that was a "piece of cake" after the above.
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

Images

I guess I'll find out in a couple of months. My outdoor club is sponsoring several wilderness first aid classes. They are being taught at the regular Red Cross office (drat--why can't we do it in the Smokies, or someplace out of town?), and last two full days.

BTW, if there are any Charlotteans out there who want to sign up, there are a few slots open. PM me for details.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I took Wilderness First Aid a couple of years ago, before my son's Boy Scout troop went for a 10 day hiking trip on Isle Royale. It was a good course, and gave me an appreciation for how dependent we are on having quick access to emergency services.

As Bearpaw said above, there are different protocols based on whether you are in the 'wilderness' or not. The Wilderness First Aid course teaches you how to respond to an emergency when help can not arrive within the normal window of 1 to 2 hours. I would guess that there are quite a few places on the AT that would not be technically considered wilderness, based on how close they are to a road or how long it would take to get a victim to a hospital.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I bet much of it feels like wilderness if you need help NOW

Images

You're right about that John Gault, but anyone administering aid needs to be aware that the wilderness first aid protocol teaches more active treatment of the victim, assuming that highly trained help is hours away. This could have legal ramifications if the victim is not in the wilderness.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/expl...id-mohican.cfm

that is a link to a course in NJ, near the DWG, in may.

I'm sold. Wilderness first aid is on the docket.

SOLO (www.soloschools.com) is the predominate outfit teaching Wilderness First Aid in the Northeast. It's a 16 hour course (2 day). Check Wilderness First Aid listings with AMC (www.outdoor.org). They often offer it at a discount for members, especially for those connected with some volunteer program, including chapter programs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++