Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Bring Mace

Quote Originally Posted by JenSkim View Post
    I often wonder about the safety of a woman hiking alone on the trail. I know someone who's taking her dog, but I'm not a dog person - so that's out for me. However, I might like to hike the AT at some point alone, no cat, no dog to accompany me. I have lots of fears around that.

Anybody have opinions of safety for females hiking alone?
    Bring mace, a knife, a cell-phone for sure. I am a female hiking alone at the moment. I feel relatively safe but I am 5'9 and kind of fiesty. Are you very young? I have seen others females hiking alone besides myself two years ago. Good luck!

Thanks lilred and blissful for your replys and encouragement. We're members of the Appalachian Trail Club Florida and tomorrow nite is our last meeting till fall. My son & I will have our pack shackdown at the meeting and then the countdown begins till Thurs the 28th

Default guy looks

Quote Originally Posted by JenSkim View Post
    I often wonder about the safety of a woman hiking alone on the trail. I know someone who's taking her dog, but I'm not a dog person - so that's out for me. However, I might like to hike the AT at some point alone, no cat, no dog to accompany me. I have lots of fears around that.

Anybody have opinions of safety for females hiking alone?
    I can only say to cut your hair short like a guy's. I don't know for sure. I only hike in groups, but am wanting to the hike the AT, too, one day. I thought dogs weren't allowed on some parts of the trail anyway. Maybe you can find a guy to hike with?? Be safe!

Images

A woman shouldn't have to cut her hair short or find a guy to hike with in order to feel safe on the trail. Though, I would recommend cutting the hair short, not for safety, but just because it's easier to take care of on the trail.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    A woman shouldn't have to cut her hair short or find a guy to hike with in order to feel safe on the trail. Though, I would recommend cutting the hair short, not for safety, but just because it's easier to take care of on the trail.
    Agreed.
    Your instincts are some of your best safety measures.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I am ok until dark, then the sounds of the woods etc and I feel vulnerable when I am sleeping.

Images

I think that the best things to do are: a, know what to say when you feel uncomfortable (like if someone asks you if you're by yourself, say that you have two friends behind you, and you hike a couple minutes apart, but have meals and spend the night together. That way, the person you're talking to knows that someone may come up behind you any second and will notice if you are missing), and b, meet some other hiker you like and be hiker buddies- ie, don't hike together, but look out for each other.

It really isn't a big deal to be a solo female hiker. (No other hikers are a threat to you, and if you're out in thru hiker season, you can always wait for another hiker to come by, and ask to walk with them for a bit in any place you feel uncomfortable).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    And amen to that- I cut off two feet, best idea I ever had. It is so much easier to have short hair on trail!

Images

I know it! I actually kept my hair fairly long on the AT. But hiking in the tropical heat in Nepal, I chopped it all off after just one day of hiking. I tend to keep it short all the time now.

Just one thought -- we really shouldn't have the attitude that all other hikers are benevolent, that "no other hikers are a threat." While generally true that fellow hikers tend to be more trustworthy than, say, locals, that's not always the case. Don't let your guard down just because someone appears to be a hiker. Continue to trust your instinct, whether you're dealing with a local, a crackpot or a fellow hiker.

Images

You're right about that- not absolutely every hiker is wonderful and benevolent, but I've had almost all good experiences.

Images

I've been hiking solo since I was 18. I also have spent years hiking with just me and my kids. In all that time I've only had one situation where I felt uncomfortable because of another hiker. I kept my distance and my hiking stick handy until the guys I knew were behind me caught up. It's always better to trust your instincts and not worry about overreacting. On a thru, especially at the beginning, there are lots of other hikers to either actually walk with, or at least know they're nearby if you're feeling weird around someone. You can always move on, or even backtrack to find other hikers. The one thing I would NOT recommend is hitchhiking alone. If it comforts you at all, know that I would not hesitate to let my 16 yo daughter thruhike.

The fear of bears and things that go bump in the night will lessen as you gain experience.

Unfortunately, the fear of falling is increasing the older I get. I just don't bounce back up the way I used to.
    We'll have to go out through the kitchen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++