WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think I'm going to go with the spitfire. I like the look and color of the Alps tent a lot better but the spitfire weighs a pound less. Thanks everyone!

Alli, many of the solo tents are very close in minimal weight because they all have about the same footprint, but the actual packed weight can vary greatly. Make sure you find the specs for the actual packed weight, not the minimal weight because in many cases they do not add the weight of the stakes needed, poles, lines, and carrying sack to their min weight.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    it gets bad reviews for pools of condensation.
    Regarding the Zeus,

This kind of complaint about condensation are usually from people who don't set it up correctly. There is a tendency to not stake out all the points tightly and this restricts airflow and will lead to condensation.
    I have used mine in very humid conditions with only slight condensation.

In windy rain, water will splash in on the Zeus, The flaps are too short, at least on the classic version. This is a far bigger issue than condensation ever has been for me, but I tend to camp in windier locations than most.

I don't use it anymore, not because of condensation or splash, but because it is heavy in comparison to others.
    I think it weighs 3 lbs. My Shire Rainshadow 2 weighs 2.5 lbs and is three times the size. A large silnylon tarp weighs less than a pound, with lots of room. I have other shelters that are bigger and weigh the same or less.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Regarding the Zeus,

This kind of complaint about condensation are usually from people who don't set it up correctly. here is a tendency to not stake out all the points tightly and this restricts airflow and will lead to condensation.

In windy rain, water will splash in on the Zeus, The flaps are too short, at least on the classic version. This is a far bigger issue than condensation ever has been for me, but I tend to camp in windier locations than most.

I don't use it anymore, not because of condensation or splash, but because it is heavy in comparison to others.
    I think it weighs 3 lbs. My Shire Rainshadow 2 weighs 2.5 lbs and is three times the size. A large silnylon tarp weighs less than a pound, with lots of room. I have other shelters that are bigger and weigh the same or less.

Agree. I've used the "classic" Zeus 2--a lot more space than the Zeus 1 for very little extra weight or $$$--since 2002. I've tried a Six Moon Designs tarptent, and the newer version of the Zeus 2 with two doors, but keep going back to the "classic" version. Condensation happens, but proper set-up reduces it quite a bit. As you said, set it up tight, and stake out the side flaps and front to the max.

Also: use the hi/lo ventilation panel at the front of the tent, just below the zippered door. Especially if you've zipped up the front "fly." Seems to help a lot with condensation. And try not to block this small ventilation area with gear inside the tent or in the vestibule. But nothing I've done in humid conditions totally eliminates it in any single-wall tent I've used. Guess it's a trade-off to get less weight and easy set-up with a single-wall but have some condensation.

Re: The issue of "splash" coming in where the side mesh is: The few times it happened to me over the past seven years I attribute that to site selection. In a driving monsoon, set up in a site that turns muddy, will cause splash. Setting up on grass greatly eliminates it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Regarding the Zeus,

This kind of complaint about condensation are usually from people who don't set it up correctly. here is a tendency to not stake out all the points tightly and this restricts airflow and will lead to condensation.

Wow real good answer! except going back to the original idea we are now suggesting a tent that is two and a half times more in price.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Wow real good answer! except going back to the original idea we are now suggesting a tent that is two and a half times more in price.
    A tarp can be as cheap or cheaper than a Zeus. I wasn't talking about fancy material tarps. Even a silnylon tarp can be had for the price of the Zeus
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Alps zephyr 1 for 104 shipped.

Gets good reviews, a pound heavier than the spitfire, but more durable materials and freestanding. I don't have this one, but have another alps tent that's top notch quality.
    This is a great tent for the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++