WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Oh. . . Dr. Phil
    Now Dr Phil here...It's just a gift

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    What they're doing isn't a conspiracy if everyone knows about it. The question is, does anyone care still?
    Would hikers have preferred to NOT know and walk into the Placed and get busted? Every one who says or thinks "I'm not going to the Place now" owes TOW a thank you.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Would hikers have preferred to NOT know and walk into the Placed and get busted? Every one who says or thinks "I'm not going to the Place now" owes TOW a thank you.
    . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Oh, I completely agree. I almost posted exactly that.

Zoidfu-"...Both show a lack of respect for the 4th Amendment and privacy.”
    The duty of the police department is to protect and serve. If someone reports an illegal activity, or an ongoing series of illegal activities, it is their duty to follow up on the complaint and if they find any criminals in the process, arrest them. This has nothing to do with the 4th amendment. I've seen police dogs at bus stations sniffing baggage (mine included) and I've had extensive searches done at airports.

If a drug sniffing dog smells something as he walks by your pack that is what the law calls "probable cause" and they then have a right to search. If you don't want your pack searched, then don't carry anything you know damn well is illegal. Crying 'foul' because a police department is doing their duty and somehow claiming that is unconstitutional is silly. Your remedy is to challenge it in court, which I'd love to see.

I guess the lesson is skip Damascus entirely or stash your herb in your buddies pack.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

This mindset is how we lost our electronic right to privacy
    Actually there is no mention of a right to privacy of any kind in the Constitution.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    The duty of the police department is to protect and serve. If someone reports an illegal activity, or an ongoing series of illegal activities, it is their duty to follow up on the complaint and if they find any criminals in the process, arrest them. This has nothing to do with the 4th amendment. I've seen police dogs at bus stations sniffing baggage (mine included) and I've had extensive searches done at airports.

If a drug sniffing dog smells something as he walks by your pack that is what the law calls "probable cause" and they then have a right to search. If you don't want your pack searched, then don't carry anything you know damn well is illegal. Crying 'foul' because a police department is doing their duty and somehow claiming that is unconstitutional is silly. Your remedy is to challenge it in court, which I'd love to see.
    I never said it was unconstitutional(in fact I argued that it technically is, it's just not in the spirit of the 4th, which can be twisted any way they can)- just a waste of time, resources, and it's personally insulting(to me).

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Actually there is no mention of a right to privacy of any kind in the Constitution.
    Semantics. We have a right to no unreasonable searches and seizures.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

What kind of church allows animals to wander inside of it?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Semantics. We have a right to no unreasonable searches and seizures.
    4th Amendment...

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

based on this thread, is it safe to assume that it's o.k. to have weed in all the other hostels along the trail unless stated otherwise.

my point is, it's a given that you're not suppoesed to have weed in any establishment that's abiding by the law, will we be reminded of this, along with all the other laws in regards to hiking the A.T. on a monthly basis.
    if i recolleck correckly there was a thread on this subjeck not too long ago

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    What kind of church allows animals to wander inside of it?
    What kind of church would knowingly allow illegal mind altering substances to be stored inside of it?

We could continue this ad infinitum and in the end we would be right where we started. The simple point is this, if you don't like the policy set forth by The Place, don't stay there. It's the same as any other business.

Lastly, the use of a drug dog does not constitute a search. The search only takes place if and when the dog "alerts" and gives sufficient PC for it. No PC, no search...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Zoidfu-"I never said it was unconstitutional(in fact I argued that it technically is, it's just not in the spirit of the 4th..."
    As you just said-"semantics". The Place has a right to ask the police to protect them and their property from criminals-period.
    Zoidfu-"...just a waste of time, resources, and it's personally insulting(to me)."
    As I previously posted, and you even quoted (but failed to grasp) "The duty of the police department is to protect and serve. If someone reports an illegal activity, or an ongoing series of illegal activities, it is their duty to follow up on the complaint and if they find any criminals in the process, arrest them." Serving a citizen is not a waste of time and resources, unless you look at it from the criminal's point of view.

However, you are free to feel personally insulted by the police and the church trying to do their duty and protecting everyone who stays at The Place.

Images

Amen, Engine! If you don't like the rules, suck it up and don't stay there. People at any hostel are letting you use their property, for goodness sake. If they think you're breaking their rules (and breaking any of their rules is illegal), then they have every right to call the cops/kick you out.

Everyone just needs to go light one up and chill out about this.

Images

MARIJUANA SMELL GOOD to the dogs,and me LOL yeah they'll eventually turn the trails into a police check points

Quote Originally Posted by halibut15 View Post
    If you don't like the rules, suck it up and don't stay there.
    I'm a stickler for the rules. What do they say verbatim? "No alcohol or drug use on property" or "no alcohol or drugs on property"?

Can I have a flask in my pack?

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    As you just said-"semantics". The Place has a right to ask the police to protect them and their property from criminals-period.
    As I previously posted, and you even quoted (but failed to grasp) "The duty of the police department is to protect and serve. If someone reports an illegal activity, or an ongoing series of illegal activities, it is their duty to follow up on the complaint and if they find any criminals in the process, arrest them." Serving a citizen is not a waste of time and resources, unless you look at it from the criminal's point of view.

However, you are free to feel personally insulted by the police and the church trying to do their duty and protecting everyone who stays at The Place.
    I never said they didn't have the right. I argued that they did, I just don't see the wisdom in random dog searches. When a person busts it out and starts smoking, that's one thing. Randomly searching everyone's pack with a dog is something else, entirely. Also, police respond to citizen's wastes of time all the time.

I also don't agree with DUI checkpoints(I think that applies here).

And yes, I do feel insulted when I'm basically suspected of committing a crime for absolutely no reason other than "I fit the profile."

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++