WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Overnight parking in Harpers Ferry

I need to leave a car in Harpers Ferry for a couple of days while I walk down from PenMar park to Harpers Ferry. Is the best place to leave the car at the Visitors Center for the Harpers Ferry National Park?

Thanks for your help

Yes but keep in mind the lot is a ways from downtown HF and the Park Service runs a shuttle. The website doesn't give the hours for the shuttle but the VC is only open 8-5.

Default Parking at ATC

We have plenty of room in ATC's parking lot from Friday afternoon (4 or 5 in the afternoon) until Monday morning (9:00 a.m.)

On weekdays we do not have room for hiker parking--we reserve our extra spots for those visiting ATC specifically.

Laurie P.
    ATC

If you think you might not be arriving while the shuttle is running, send me a PM here on whiteblaze. Let me know when you think you'll arrive and if I'm available I can give you a lift over to the visitor's center. And maybe a beer.

Jester
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Default Jester in Harpers Ferry

Thanks for the offer Jester.

If we are not in Harpers Ferry by 5:00 we have bigger problems (like not getting to the first shelter by 6:00). There will be 4 or 5 of us and we hope to cake walk into town around high noon on Friday May 1st, soak up some of the 150 year old spirits of John Brown and lunch at the Secret Six Tavern (more John Brown) before heading up the trail for Ed Garvey.

If you are free in the early afternoon and care to have a beer with a group of walkers (before we stink up the place) then I'll buy you a beer.

Susquehanna Slim

Laurie,
    If you could stretch that time to be from noon on Friday till about 1:00pm on Monday then we could have a deal and I would bring in 2 cars to shade your parking lot over the weekend...kind of my contribution to the "greening" of Harpers Ferry.

Susquehanna Slim

Quote Originally Posted by susquehannaslim View Post
    Thanks for the offer Jester.

If we are not in Harpers Ferry by 5:00 we have bigger problems (like not getting to the first shelter by 6:00). There will be 4 or 5 of us and we hope to cake walk into town around high noon on Friday May 1st, soak up some of the 150 year old spirits of John Brown and lunch at the Secret Six Tavern (more John Brown) before heading up the trail for Ed Garvey.

If you are free in the early afternoon and care to have a beer with a group of walkers (before we stink up the place) then I'll buy you a beer.

Susquehanna Slim
    Sounds great! See you there!

I left my truck at HF's visitors center last July while I headed south. The rangers there were very cool and the shuttle seemed to run about every 15-20 mins. I arrived at the park around 10:00am and was in downtown by about 10:30am. The day of my return my shuttle took me back to the park and I was still able to get out around 6:30ish pm.Then headed to Secret 6 for a few!
    Komu pora,temu czas

Images

Anyone know of any place that is open after 5:00 to park a car long term (2 weeks) in Harpers Ferry? I wont be ariving in HF till like 7ish on the 22nd of May. I am going from bottom of SNP to HF so I will be hiking to my car and my shuttle will be dropping me off in Waynsboro so I can get a very early Saturday morning start. I am going to stay in Waynsboro overnite and hike out in AM. I work until 4PM and shooting down there after work, getting there before visitors center closes is near impossible. Anyone out there able to help?

Quote Originally Posted by sly dog View Post
    Anyone know of any place that is open after 5:00 to park a car long term (2 weeks) in Harpers Ferry? I wont be ariving in HF till like 7ish on the 22nd of May. I am going from bottom of SNP to HF so I will be hiking to my car and my shuttle will be dropping me off in Waynsboro so I can get a very early Saturday morning start. I am going to stay in Waynsboro overnite and hike out in AM. I work until 4PM and shooting down there after work, getting there before visitors center closes is near impossible. Anyone out there able to help?
    Sly Dog -- I'm going to PM you some info.

Yes, actually I am looking for a place to park tomorrow actually for a week. any ideas? feel free to email, [email protected]

This thread is totally relevant ... but I'm a few years late. Are there any updates? I need a place to park my truck in HF over a long weekend while we do a section hike, perhaps drop it off a very early Friday AM in Oct, then hike back to it on Monday afternoon or evening. I know we can park in the visitor center/shuttle lot on the west side of town, but if they close at dusk, with the shorter Oct days, we may not make it in time. Any suggestions?

Default parking in Harpers Ferry at the Teahorse Hostel

I have parking behind the Teahorse Hostel at 1312 Washington St. - about one half mile down the street from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (post office is halfway between). It's $5 per night if you are not a guest of the hostel and $3 per night if you have stayed at the hostel.

all the best,
    Laurel
    owner

Images

I parked at the hotel, spent a night, felt better with someone keeping an eye on my car.

I parked my at HF visitor center this summer for a few days with no problem.
    Pollen

I section-hiked from Duncannon to HF last April, leaving my car in the Park Service lot. Worked out well for the 10 days I was gone. It's free but you must register your car with the Rangers. Also keep in mind my earlier point: the shuttle doesn't run late so plan your hike to end before the shuttle stops running.

Want about camping in the area that is no-cost or little cost?

AL

++ New Posts ++