WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Meridian Vapor Anyone?

Hey, has anyone here bought or tried a Meridian Vapor pack from GG? Likes & dislikes? I've read magazine reviews, but have come not to rely on them too much. Would like to hear from someone here about it. Thanks.

Steve.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NEPilgrim View Post
    Hey, has anyone here bought or tried a Meridian Vapor pack from GG? Likes & dislikes? I've read magazine reviews, but have come not to rely on them too much. Would like to hear from someone here about it. Thanks.

Steve.
    I have the Vapor trail and love it. It is well made, tough for a light pack, and feels like I have no pack on with around 20-22 pounds in it. I don't know if that helps you any with the Meridian though...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I have the Meridian Vapor Ki. It has 622 AT miles on it so far. Hoping to add another 1000+ starting in 3 weeks!

Basically it's just a slightly smaller Vapor Trail with a few extra features. Do you want/need those extras? On the other hand, it is 400-700ci smaller than the vapor trail. Personally I like less ci and wouldn't know what to do with all the extra room in a vapor trail.

I have a love/hate relationship with the lid on top. It's holds all the little things nicely and is very conveniant to get to on breaks. But it adds 8 extra ounces and when the top collar isn't full it tends to flop side to side. I can't for the life of me figure out how the straps work to turn it into a separate fanny pack. I'm debating over whether to leave it home this trip. That depends on if I really need those extra 300ci and how much those extra ounces mean to me.
    I pack my stuff in verticle instead of horizontal rows so the zipper down the front is practically worthless. It's only ever been unzipped twice.

It carries around 25-27 pounds comfortably. Over 30 and the frame sheet kinda buckles. The most I ever had in it was about 32.
    Have you tried it on or just seen pictures so far? The back pad looks like the whole thing rests right up next to your back, but it really doesn't. Mine has quite an arch to it, which leaves a lot of open space between the pad and your back. It is only snug to your back at the bottom 1/3 and top 1/4 (less if the shouler straps are left looser).

Thanks for the replies Engine & Rabbit! I've tried the original Vapor Trail, they're nice packs, and I currently use a Virga for all my long hikes & overnighters.

Rabbit, I haven't tried on the Meridian Vapor, as there's no one close to me really that carries GG stuff. But I've heard very mixed reports about the lid/waist pack, so thanks for your input. If it doesn't sit flat against your back, that must not be so comfortable. I need to try on a couple new GG packs to see what's best for me. Thanks again for the input, guys, much appreciated!

Steve.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by G. Rabbit View Post
    I have the Meridian Vapor Ki. It has 622 AT miles on it so far. Hoping to add another 1000+ starting in 3 weeks!

Basically it's just a slightly smaller Vapor Trail with a few extra features. Do you want/need those extras? On the other hand, it is 400-700ci smaller than the vapor trail. Personally I like less ci and wouldn't know what to do with all the extra room in a vapor trail.

I have a love/hate relationship with the lid on top. It's holds all the little things nicely and is very conveniant to get to on breaks. But it adds 8 extra ounces and when the top collar isn't full it tends to flop side to side. I can't for the life of me figure out how the straps work to turn it into a separate fanny pack. I'm debating over whether to leave it home this trip. That depends on if I really need those extra 300ci and how much those extra ounces mean to me.
    I pack my stuff in verticle instead of horizontal rows so the zipper down the front is practically worthless. It's only ever been unzipped twice.

It carries around 25-27 pounds comfortably. Over 30 and the frame sheet kinda buckles. The most I ever had in it was about 32.
    Have you tried it on or just seen pictures so far? The back pad looks like the whole thing rests right up next to your back, but it really doesn't. Mine has quite an arch to it, which leaves a lot of open space between the pad and your back. It is only snug to your back at the bottom 1/3 and top 1/4 (less if the shouler straps are left looser).
    Arching? You have the wrong torso size, assuming you have pulled the top straps tight.

It's the right torso size. The frame sheet only goes as high as it should and the shoulder straps slightly curve over my shoulders nicely. It's just how the pack rides when the shoulder straps are not pulled tight and most of the weight transfers down to the hipbelt. It's NOT uncomfortable in the least bit and adds great ventilation. I believe Gregory packs are similar, except a little more contact on upper-back and they have that extra piece of mesh. -notice the daylight shining through-
    http://www.campist.com/archives/greg...s-backpack.jpg
    (couldn't find a profile shot of a GG to compare, but they're similar)

If the shoulder straps are pulled so the weight is close to 50/50 instead of 30/70 or 20/80 weight divided between shoulders and hips, then the gap almost disapears.

Default Mine Squeaks

Agree with everyone about the benefits and quality of the Meridian. But mine squeaks like the proverbial barn door.. Twenty miles of this got me nothing but laughter from all my hike mates... It finally stopped after we got caught in a five hour thunder storm... Im hoping to recieve some long term benefit from the rain... Does anybodies elses squeak?

Default rabbit and the fanny pack

The belts for the fanny pack are hidden in a sleeve on the underside of the pouch.

Default Torso size

I measure out at a 20 inch torso.. I shortened the Meridian to 18 and 19 inches to check the difference. The shorter sizes fit my back better. If there is buckling one cant help but think the shoulder harness holds no weight. Try what I did with a shorter length...

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have the latitude vapor and vapor trail. All the vapor series have the same suspension, so they should in theory all feel and ride the same. The differences should only be in the accessibility and organization features, i.e. pockets, zipper access, etc. The theory works in practice for me, so I'm guessing if you like (or don't like) the way one feels and carries, you can take your pick.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The buckling frame on an overloaded vapor suspension has happened to me, too. Only cure I've found is to really cinch all the compression straps down as much as possible to make the whole pack stiffer. Still, works best if you keep the weight down.

I used to love my Vapor Trail, right up until the silnylon panel developed a six-inch tear where it joins the back panel on the right side. I now have a ULA Catalyst and I will never use another brand of pack besides ULA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    I used to love my Vapor Trail, right up until the silnylon panel developed a six-inch tear where it joins the back panel on the right side. I now have a ULA Catalyst and I will never use another brand of pack besides ULA.
    I have had two ULA packs - one had a failure at the top cinch seam after 4 trips. The other (a Circuit) the first time I loaded it - right at where the pad is attached to the main bag.

No such failure with my GG packs - even after bushwacking.

Go figure.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Koone View Post
    ...mine squeaks like the proverbial barn door...
    I've had periodic squeaking fits with my GG Nimbus Ozone, and I've read about several others with the same issue.

During a hike, I've been able to eliminate the squeaking by simply rearranging the "flaps" where the shoulder strap is attached the the framesheet bolt. You might also try adding a drop of oil to the bolts before you start out.

With regard to the bolts, I lost one at the start of a hike a few years ago at Partnership Shelter. I ended up hiking into Damascus with the shoulder strap attached to the frame solely by the loadlifter strap, which worked surprisingly well. GG sent me a replacement bolt gratis.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default lost bolts

Ive been eyeballing the screws in there. And what if I lose one? Have been wondering if I could tie it down with para cord...As stated before the squeaking stopped while in the rain storm but a trip out this past weekend tells me that the squeak has returned with dry weather.. Im getting laughed at guys the squeak is incredible.. I have identified the culprit of squeaks tho.. It is the connection point of the belt.. As it swivels it squeaks... If Im out for two weeks or so im wondering if Ill be sane or alive when we finish the trip... Is there another forum on these packs ?? Wax,Water,Graphite,Oil? (yuck)

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default can someone provide interior dimensions for the

Meridian Vapor....something like 10x11x30 inches or whatever it ends up.
    I want to add one of these but dont know what size to order:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/GG1018

Thanks!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Default These work very nice

AirVent Dryboc SolidXS - 5 x 7.25 x 20 in.
    AirVent Dryboc SolidSM - 5.25 x 7.75 x 21 in.

I have these two compression bags and they both fit into my meridian.
    For the most part I use the XS. They will fit vertically or horizontally.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Koone-thanks, one more question

those two sizes used together-do they fill up the interior of the backpack?
    I tell you what I'm looking for , one of those bags that I can put my whole sleep kit in all at once; sleep kit being hammock/underquilt/top quilt left inside hammock. I usually don't take the hammock 'apart' when doing multi-day hikes; next night when i string it the underquilt is already placed and the top quilt is already inside.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Default Is it Full?

No they do not fill the pack. I use a S for my sleep bag(Montbell#3) and an XS for clothes. Rain Gear,Food,Cook stuff,pad,hydration and a small bag for personels are loose. Tarp tent stands up in the inside corner.
    BTW a medium GG fits in there also and is probably most space efficient.
    By that I mean that when it slide into the pack there is no air space around it.(XS and S leaves air around) Youll have to experiment which bag you can squeeze your sleep kit into. If you need a M it will work fine.
    I compress my stuff way down in size.

Images

Default I have to agree!

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Two problems with the Vapor Trail, first a tear, second the zippers failed... No such problems with my ULA Circuit. I think the stretchy fabric of the Vapor Trail was the problem. I didn't over fill, but it tore anyway. And the zippers going both up and down at first appear to make access easier, but in the end, were a problem when they would stick or come undone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++