Thread: Under Armour?

Images

:banana Under Armour?

I just purchased a pair of Under Armour compression heat gear (looks like bike shorts). I asked the associate if I should wear regular underwear underneath and she said "Whatever makes you comfortable." I don't know what makes me comfortable, and I think there is a yes or no answer to this question. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonspaz68 View Post
    I just purchased a pair of Under Armour compression heat gear (looks like bike shorts). I asked the associate if I should wear regular underwear underneath and she said "Whatever makes you comfortable." I don't know what makes me comfortable, and I think there is a yes or no answer to this question. Any help would be great! Thanks.
    I have never tried to wear underwear under mine, as they serve that purpose anyway. However, I can tell you from personal experience that undies under bike shorts when riding are a BIG NO NO and leave that region looking like you lost a knife fight . I would think hiking might produce a similar outcome.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Mrs. Totem wears UA Compression heatgear undies with nothing under them, so do I (mens version.) Great stuff, just wish it was <$25
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonspaz68 View Post
    I hope it's permissive for a man to post on topic in the women's forum. . .

I wear UA heatgear universally when hiking and running. I commonly fall victim to the "chub rub". It was the only type of injury that forced me to take a "zero" on my thru-hike. Chaffing between the thighs hasn't even been an after thought since wearing these. I don't know if this is the reason you are opting to wear them, but if it is, I firmly believe that underwear beneath the UA would increase the probability of chaffing.

One other note of interest. I friend pointed out that the heatgear UA were colder to sleep in. Assuming they were dry, this didn't make sense to me and honestly still doesn't. But I had a night in the 20's in a sleeping bag that could easily handle those temps; my extremities were warm, just not my thighs and butt--some of the biggest muscles in the body. I took them off and warmed up. Again, makes no sense, but that is what happened in my case.

Images

Default Big rashes!

I can't wear Under Armor at all. It is impregnated with silver nitrate as the odor fighter. I'm allergic to silver. My husband is not allergic to silver but he can't wear anything UA makes. It gives us both red itchy rashes and makes our skin feel as though a 1000 tiny needles are poking us. It's so irritating it's painful. So, moral is, if you're allergic to silver be very very wary of UA and even if you're not wear it around the house before taking it on the trail.
    Last edited by Mrs Baggins; 04-15-2009 at 18:28. Reason: misspellings
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Heatgear compression shorts are designed to wick moisture from your skin as well as provide separation of the thigh and groin muscles (the original purpose of compression shorts). By wearing an additional pair of underwear you're defeating the whole purpose of the Heatgear short.
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

Images

Ditto on the "No Underwear rule" Obviously the sales associate was probably close to clueless. If you wear underwear - especially underwear with cotton pantie liners, the cotton is Hydrophilic - Water absorbing - and will pick up and hold the moisture next to your skin and cause it to soften (damp skins softens quicker and has an increased tendency to chaff much quicker than dry skin) leading to chafing and sores.

The UA and other synths are generally hydrophobic and allow moisture to either pass through the material with little absorption and evaporation or cause it to spread out on the surface of the material leading to increased levels of evaporation...and comfort.

In addition, Cotton fibers tend to collapse when saturated leading to wrinkled bunched fibers and increased tendency to cause friction and ultimately chaffing. Synths with memory tend not to bunch up and continuously glide smoothly.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post

I can't wear Under Armor at all. It is impregnated with silver nitrate as the odor fighter. I'm allergic to silver. My husband is not allergic to silver but he can't wear anything UA makes. It gives us both red itchy rashes and makes our skin feel as though a 1000 tiny needles are poking us. It's so irritating it's painful. So, moral is, if you're allergic to silver be very very wary of UA and even if you're not wear it around the house before taking it on the trail.
    This is very interesting to me. I have very sensitive skin and wear UA heat and cold gear for both backpacking and running. This fabric works for me whereas other fabrics don't. Good advice in regards to wearing it around the house before starting out on a hike.

i wear ex-officio undies under my bike shorts when cycling. They are supposed to wick so I don't think they defeat the purpose of wearing shorts. I dunno if it was my upbringing or what but I just don't feel right going commando. I have never had problems with chafing, except the one time I wore a sanitary pad for some reaosn.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    This is very interesting to me. I have very sensitive skin and wear UA heat and cold gear for both backpacking and running. This fabric works for me whereas other fabrics don't. Good advice in regards to wearing it around the house before starting out on a hike.

i too have cutaneous allergies to metals, amongst them are silver, nickel and so on so forth. i can't wear jewlery or ill break out in rash, nor would i ever be able to get a tattoo (dark inks contain iron oxide)

but i haven't noticed any problems wearing this pair of undies either.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

The only place compression makes sense to me is thighs, but maybe upper arms too for some folks. My own strategy is to wear very loose layers, and then add skin layers underneath those only on the colder days. So what people call skin layers I generally keep in my pack most of the time. I think one pair of compression shorts makes sense though if I might get into some chaffing, which can happen even if you don't normally have an issue there if you get some sort of a rash or fungus. I got athletes foot there once before I learned not to wash my underwear with my socks. Haven't had it since but maybe I'm immune now or something.

Personally I don't like the underarmour stuff at all. They best way to stay cool is loose and light. The best way to stay warm is light and fluffy. For anti-chaff in some places then maybe but I think that can be done with some sort of boxer brief that is more soft and absorbent and not some hard and shiny. I think the stuff is just a gimmick.

LOL you people make me laugh! You DO NOT need and underwear while out on the trail...go commando....learned that LONG ago in the USMC while in the field....leave all the "fear" (and extra gear at home!)
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whiterockjock View Post
    LOL you people make me laugh! You DO NOT need and underwear while out on the trail...go commando....learned that LONG ago in the USMC while in the field....leave all the "fear" (and extra gear at home!)
    Going commando is a little different for females than males dumbass

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Going commando is a little different for females than males dumbass
    I don't think the Dumbass comment is really needed. And, there are women that go commando.
    BTW E-O underwear is synth and won't abosrb moisture.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Just responding with the same tone as the message to which I replied.

I don't know any woman who can go commando all the time. When you're on your period underwear is pretty much mandatory.

Of course it doesn't... it's supposed to wick.

++ New Posts ++