WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Parking at VA 42, Sinking Creek Valley??

Is there parking at the trail crossing at VA 42?
    I'll be meeting some friends there and I will be rolling in in the middle of the night, just wondering if there is an actual parking area where I can crawl into the back of the truck and sleep until they arrive in the mid-morning.
    Thanks.
    What? Me worry??

yes there is

The parking area is very small there. It's more like a pull off, only enough room for a couple of cars. I don't know if you are planning an extended stay or just picking up friends. Rt 42 is a rural 2 lane highway that is traveled by mostly local people. I don't know if I would be comfortable with a lenghty stay in that parking lot. There is a church within eyesight of the trail. I dont know if they would allow parking or not, might be worth a try. There is a new hostel that has opened on rt 42 that is 2 miles from the trail. He is a former thru hiker and seems very hospitable. I f you would like the number Just respond and I will forward it along.

That would be the Level Green Church in Newport, VA if you want to try to contact them for parking at the church. I park there for day hikes to Saver's Cabin but have not parked overnight or spoke to anyone at the church. I think Red Hat mentioned that the new hostel is at RT42 near I77 at Bland, not at Newport. I'm trying to find out more about the Bland operator and contact them now for parking and a shuttle for Burke's Garden.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    That would be the Level Green Church in Newport, VA if you want to try to contact them for parking at the church. I park there for day hikes to Saver's Cabin but have not parked overnight or spoke to anyone at the church.
    I've parked there overnight. I wrote them a letter (just googled the address, rural box something) with a "pretty please" and enclosed a few bucks for the collection plate. I got a voicemail on my work phone from the pastor saying it was fine.

42 is very narrow where the AT crosses, and it's on a curve with locals flying through. I wasn't comfortable parking along it.

If you do choose to pull off the side of 42, please don't block any gates! The owner of that farm has allowed an AT easement, but I don't think it's permanent. We want to keep them happy.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Images

Cool, I'll park and sleep somewhere else, possibly at VA 620 / Trout Creek and drive back up to VA 42 in the AM.
    Thanks for the info.
    What? Me worry??

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    Cool, I'll park and sleep somewhere else, possibly at VA 620 / Trout Creek and drive back up to VA 42 in the AM.
    Thanks for the info.
    FYI -The church parking lot is large and well off the road, the AT parking spot is just a small area to get off the road and like previously described. I would suggest a courtesy call to the church and ask them before leaving your car overnight. (540) 544-7179

This might help future hikers.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    That would be the Level Green Church in Newport, VA if you want to try to contact them for parking at the church. I park there for day hikes to Saver's Cabin but have not parked overnight or spoke to anyone at the church. I think Red Hat mentioned that the new hostel is at RT42 near I77 at Bland, not at Newport. I'm trying to find out more about the Bland operator and contact them now for parking and a shuttle for Burke's Garden.
    Actually I said that the hostel is at off VA42 "before" Bland, and I mean a long way before Bland. The AT crosses 42 at Ceres where the pavilion is (no hikers allowed). It can be confusing when the AT crosses a highway twice like VA42 is crossed at Ceres and at Newport. Long ways between the two. I81 is crossed at Groseclose and at Troutville/Daleville. Also a long ways....

Images

Default The Huffman House B&B

I know this thread is old, but will add that The Huffman House B&B is close by and owned by two past thru-hikers, the Bakers. They recently let us park a vehicle at the B&B for a section hike. They are listed in the ALDHA companion, I believe. Here's the link to their site:

The Huffman House

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++