WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black Forest Trail or West Rim Trail

My wife and I will be dropping our daughter of at college in Chambersburg in Mid August and would like to do a 3,4 or 5 day hike in PA. We have done a lot of hiking in the NH mountains and am looking for a nice hike with varied terrain. With only one car, a loop hike would be best.

Any thoughts on these two trails?

Thanks for your input
    Timekeeper

The Black Forest Trail is a loop and possibly the prettiest trail in Pa.

geek

Virginia Tortoise

I've done the West Rim Trail, 30 miles, 3 days and I think that it is one the 3 best trails in PA, the others being the Old Loggers Path and the Laurel Highlands Trail. The view at around the 3 or 4 mile mark from the northern terminus is used on travel commercials about Pennsylvania:

http://www.ragtag.org/images/westb5.jpg

I've only hiked the one, so I can't compare, but the BFT is beautiful. It makes a loop, too.

It will be hot and sticky in August.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Images

I have hiked, backpacked and led club backpacking trips on these trails for many years.
    Her is my take (please google the BFT, STS or WRT here for more posts from others on the subject.

Black Forest (BFT) 42 miles long - many long (1,000') climbs in and out of hollows but numerous vistas and varied terrain. Plan at least 4 days to soak in the beauty of this trail. Trail follows Many old Rail Lines and Logging Roads

West Rim "PA Grand Canyon" (WRT) Linear Trail - Just East of BFT. southern half has few vistas, northern half has many more. Chuck Dillon at Pine Creek Outfitters in Ansonia at the North end can give you a shuttle for about $25 or so.

Susquhannock Trail System (STS) 82 mile loop trail just West of the BFT. Easier terrain than the BFT and the trail follows old Railroad switchback and logging/tote roads. This takes about 7 days to properly enjoy. there is also a set of North and South link Trails so you can take in both the BFT West Section and the STS East Section as a loop.

My recommendation is the BFT. You will have little company and many incredible vistas. you will probably see rattlers - We have spots where there are a few of them.
    Best time is 2nd week in June on any of these trails when there is a sea of pink and white Mountain Laurel.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

If I could throw out another suggestion for late August, the relatively new section of Mid State Trail from Arnot Rd south to Blackwell would be comparable in length, offer more variety and much more solitude than the WRT. It would also offer more escape from heat than the BFT. This MST section has several good size stream crossings that are more difficult in spring but offer swimming holes in high summer. Sections 17 and part of 18 on http://www.hike-mst.org/guide.html . I would finish off on the side trail like these fellows did: http://www.pahikes.com/trails/midstate11.asp Chuck Dillon and crew at http://www.pinecrk.com/ can shuttle you here too as for the WRT - park at Blackwell and let them take you to the obscure other end. Finish up here: http://www.blackwellhotel.com/

Black Forest Trail is a loop and absolutely awesome! Not the easiest hiking but a great trail, about 45 miles.

Another great loop is the Susquehannock Trail near Coundersport, 83 mile loop trail, relatively easy, nice little town called Cross Fork halfway through (with motel, bar, limited groceries, PO) that the trail goes through. When I hiked this trail I saw 2 people across 5 days, and 3 bear!

Also check out the Quehanna Trail, 70 mile loop in PA as well. You might want to check with locals about Lyme Disease however, i've heard bad things about that area but then again that was a long time ago, so it could be worse by now - likely.

Thanks everyone! Going to make the decision tough!

My vote is for the west rim. Sweet hike! ---- Two Tents

BFT is what you want. WRT is very nice too.

BFT is much more rugged, many great views, terrain is more varied, many nice creeks, some waterfalls. Plus the BFT is a loop, that you can shorten easily with all the side trails.

BFT, WRT, and LHT are my 3 favorite trails in PA. Hard to judge between them, but if you are 1 car and dont want to pay for shuttle I would say BFT. Though Laurel highlands is great because for 4 bucks a night you have to rent the selters, but they are nice, free toilet paper in privy's, and hand sanitizer. Plus every shelter has a trashcan so you dont have to haul your trash out. I loved it.

Images

If you decide to do the West Rim Trail...it is tradition to stuff your face at the Wellsboro Diner either before or after the hike...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_x8DG0_MkYBA/Rr...U/IMG_1047.JPG
    Great Food!

Myself i like to get away from things and the west rim trail didn't allow me that freedom.

Images

black forest trail is a loop trail that is cut in half by route 44 making many short loops possible. Your never very far from the road even though you get a real feeling of wilderness and solitude.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar214 View Post
    If you decide to do the West Rim Trail...it is tradition to stuff your face at the Wellsboro Diner either before or after the hike...
    Lot better food and more for your money at George's just out 6 west/287 north at the edge of town. No, not as cute.

If you need anything Wild Asaph Outfitters is well worth a stop, owned by 2 recent A.T. thru-hikers who know and care about what they stock. Now located downtown about a block and a half from the diner. Not open Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Myself i like to get away from things and the west rim trail didn't allow me that freedom.
    See post #6 in this thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    If you need anything Wild Asaph Outfitters is well worth a stop, owned by 2 recent A.T. thru-hikers who know and care about what they stock. Now located downtown about a block and a half from the diner. Not open Sundays.
    Very nice folks at Wild Asaph Outfitters. They provided me with lots of local info when I hiked the West Rim Trail in Feb.

Thx 4 the George's recommendation. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way.

++ New Posts ++