WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default From The Complete Walker

Colin Fletcher related, he used to take three socks, instead of two pairs. Wash one sock one day, hang to dry on his pack, wear the other two. Next day, wash a different sock, wear the other two, etc. Saved the weight of one sock.

Might have to get three different colored socks just to keep track of the washing cycle.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post
    Colin Fletcher related, he used to take three socks, instead of two pairs. Wash one sock one day, hang to dry on his pack, wear the other two. Next day, wash a different sock, wear the other two, etc. Saved the weight of one sock.

Might have to get three different colored socks just to keep track of the washing cycle.
    I'm going to wear one boot and hop.

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

thats going to be one big calf when you are done and how do you decide left or right?

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    Ok so I just checked them out at your link, and it clearly says that they are "not recommended to be used more than once". So your going to carry a different tooth brush for each day of your trip? How is this a weight savings? You gotta pack out the used ones, so your not carrying less as the days pass... Where is the weight savings?

While we should all at least make an effort to reduce what we put into the landfill, the bigger issue is that these things are made of plastic. Plastic is not only a very toxic product to produce, poluting our environment, but it also is made with oil... We have soldier's dying oversea's right now for oil... If you feel saving a gram or two is worth more than our planets health and our soldier's life, then carry on!

I'm just asking that you think about each and every thing you buy and use in your day, everything ultimately is harvested from the resources of our planet, most things require a high level of refinement to make it a usable product. This results in increased polution which in turn puts more strain on the systems of our planet, not to mention higher energy costs... So before you buy something or toss something away, ask yourself, do I really need this? Can I multi use something I already have? How long will this last?

Most important, hiking is a hobby, it's not a necessity of life, so make your hobbies as low impact as possible because we already know that achieving the necessities of life is only a reality in wealthy country's like our own... Choose gear that will last longer than one trip or a few trips... Think durable, long lasting things that you can use for years to come... If what you have works, use it, don't replace it with the latest and greatest, until what you have no longer provides it's function...

It's really quite simple, "live simply so that others can simply live".

Ideas like this make me believe that UL really means Ultra Lazy!
    Sorry, but in my opinion you really need to lighten up the attitude. While I agree that multi-use and durable is a noble goal, the gas and oil burned to get to the trailhead has a much greater impact on the environment than a handful of tiny disposable dental care devices. A trip to a fast food restaurant produces more trash. For that matter, the plastic in a toothpaste tube is probably a larger quantity than a handful of these. So no need to act as if someone suggesting using these is destroying the earth.

Ultralighters may even have less impact on the environment, keeping cooking simpler, carrying less gear and thus saving the impact of more use of raw materials and manufacturing processes, wearing lighter shoes with smaller tread that is less disturbing to soil and plants, carrying a smaller pack that isn't as likely to snag and disturb vegetation along the way.

There is more than one way to be concerned about the environment.

Good thread. Picking up some ideas.

I got my pack weight down enough (under 20 lbs) that I could take the hip belt off my SMD Starlight pack, and wear it like an old fashioned rucksack. Did Springer-Hot Springs section hike in 20 days, no problems.

We use a pot cozy made of Warm Windows Fabric. It worked so well that we never used the extra gas canister that we bought at Neels and carried for a few hundred miles (then gave away to a thru hiker). I figure that the cozy doubled our mileage for canister fuel.

I carry only one trekking pole, my wife has the other. We use them mainly as poles to set up our tarptent.

I either sawed off or cut holes in everything possible, to save weight.

I trimmed the blank wasteful edges off all the topo maps.

I ripped sections out of guide books, then discarded used pages as I went along.

And, as I've said before, I'm careful not to "carry water up to water." I only hold enough to reach the next water source during the day, then fill up 2.5 liter Platy at night.
    Of course in hot dry weather I carry a lot more water, but I don't hike much in hot dry weather. Usually when I hike it is friggin freezin.

Images

Take the metal zipper pulls (if any) off your pack. I took the 2 off my ULA Ohm hip belt pockets, yea, I know anyway, , , , I saved 1/8 Oz by replacing them with cord. So now I have a pack that weighs 20 7/8 oz instead of a HEAVY 21 Oz.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Dude, this thing is so tiny, I don't think it's going to be putting much of a drain on the landfills. Besides, I would think you could use them more than once. Why don't go check out what I'm talking about before freaking out.

www.colgatewisp.com
    I am with DAJA on this one.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    Yes i'm aware that regular toothbrushes are plastic, which is why I use it until it is no longer effective before replacing... Many things in our world are harmful and wasteful, hell look at the packaging our food comes in... We buy plastic (made from oil) garbage bags to put our garbage in!?! We really are a pretty sad society.

Sorry to get all sacramonious on you... I just get frustrated at times with how disposable our culture is. Who works in an office where people regularly use styro and disposable coffee or water cooler cups, when we could all very easily have a reusable one. How many times have you been hiking and come to some trail magic and find they are serving there generous goods on disposable plates and such, when we all are carrying (or should be) reusable plates or bowls and utensils in our packs?

Yes I understand the principle of easy and convienenience but who wants to explain to their grandchildren that the reason their world suffers so much is because when we where young we wanted to take the easy way out... It's just a matter of having a longer vision than this trip, or this week or even this lifetime... We each do many many things in the run of a day that could collectively have a massive impact on the future of not just our species but the planet as a whole.

Avoid anything that is meant to be disposable, reuse or multi use anything and everything you can think of. But above all, use what you have until it is no longer useful... Don't replace things because there is a newer, lighter, better version available...

Again sorry for the rant, and no I have no UL suggestions as i'm not an ULer, but i'm always looking for new ways of doing things so carry on!
    DAJA, I am on your side on this issue as I have felt the influence of marketing gradually increase from my younger years in the sixties to...today. It sickens me that my kids eat lunch at school on dispoable styrofoam plates.
    However, the environmental issue is not worth discussing IMO as the bottle of one (of a few) beers that I and many others consume most evenings greatly exceeds the wieght and the environmental impact that these disposable toothbrushes cause.
    The problem is that consuming and disposing of containers is second nature to us (and our children). Drinking a bottle of store bought water and throwing the bottle in the trash is ridiculous IMO.
    I feel that correcting this behavior in our socirty is next to impossible. Putting effort into things like using renewable energy, more efficient cars, etc seems so much more productive. If the fella wants to use disposablr tooth brushes, I say let him.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Great ideas!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++