WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Gear$$$$$$$$$$$$$My Initial Thoughts

Here is a link to a thread on my new gear. I though I would post this here, I hope it helps someone out.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6217

Journal Entries
    Images

Is this for a thru-hike?
    If so I would carry more then that one small light that you have. Since it is so light I would carry two of them. It really sucks when you have a light go out or stop working when you are in a campsite with no-one else around. But this is just my opinion. Why are you carry a knife with such a big blade? I carry a leatherman micro. It has scissors and a couple of other things with a very small blade. But the main reason I carry it is for the scissors. They are very light and and serve more then one purpose. I don't know anything about that stove. I would have to read on it. But it looks like you need canistors with it. They could create more weight to carry.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

That knife is a Spyderco Ladybug, which is a great little knife, but really small. I would get a larger Spyderco, like the Endura, as it would be more useful.

Also, those Micro lights are too small for much illumination, and you have to hold them in your jand. I bought an Ever Ready LED headlamp from Wal-Mart for $15 http://www.e-headlamps.com/energizer_3_led.asp, and it's even better than my $38 Petzl Zipka.

The lights are small, but some people make a band with some velcro on it and then binder clip the light to the band. You have to have the kind that has a switch. I have done this, but the light is dim and I wouldn't count on it for hiking, just camp. I use one of these as a backup for a my headlamp.

This gear is not for a thru-hike, at least not one this year. I do also have/carry a Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp. I like how small and light my knife is and am not sure why I would want a bigger one.

Images

Ditto on the Leatherman Micro, it's all I've ever needed...very light and the scissors do come in handy (more so than the pliers on bigger models).

Ky Thru

++ New Posts ++