WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Katadyn Hiker

Default Katadyn Hiker

I have purchased and returned one of these "highly recommended Katadyn Hikers" for a cracked side. My second one is so unbelieveably saturated in slick oil (not the factory silicon gel) that I emailed the manufacturer who is also stumped why. Each compression of the handle brings up excessive oil.

Any ideas? I am a filter user; any other purifier/filter suggestions/recs for hiking and kayaking in the GA/AL area?

OIL!? Woah, that's weird.

My PUR Hiker (same thing) came out of the box clean and dry as a bone, working perfectly to this day. The only lubrication anywhere was some petroleum jelly around the O ring.

I think you've just had a weird stroke of luck, hopefully. The Hiker is *not* meant to double as an oil filter

Quote Originally Posted by stuffheavystuff
    I have purchased and returned one of these "highly recommended Katadyn Hikers" for a cracked side. My second one is so unbelieveably saturated in slick oil (not the factory silicon gel) that I emailed the manufacturer who is also stumped why. Each compression of the handle brings up excessive oil.

Any ideas? I am a filter user; any other purifier/filter suggestions/recs for hiking and kayaking in the GA/AL area?
    Pine Mountain Trail in GA. Very close to you. Have you hiked it?

Whitewater or slackwater kayaking? Several options for each.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Images

I've had a Pur (now Katadyn) Hiker for 10? years..and ? miles and ? trips.
    I have no idea how you are pumping up oil....(but if it's sweet crude you could be on to something $$$)
    I've never had a problem with mine...except the occasion vapor lock which is easily corrected.
    for the money, weight and water output I haven't found anything that comes even close to the Hiker. I take care to filter as sediment free water as possible and the filter lasts a long time.
    Have you tried any of the chemical treatments ? Filters are nice but the chemicals out there do just as good a job.

Images

I have used a Hiker for over 18 months with no problems. I have placed a Sweetwater (?) pre-filter on the suction line to help extend the life of the filter.
    VAMTNHIKER
    (Previously known as ScouterSteve)
    Thru-hiker Dreamer
    Near-term Section Hiker

Images

Default Opportunities for whitewater in AL

Quote: "any other purifier/filter suggestions/recs for hiking and kayaking in the GA/AL area?"

Not all that great in the summertime unless a deluge fills the creeks and rivers, and then you have to catch things just right. I would recommend the Mulberry Fork and the Locust Fork rivers in AL when the water is there if you are looking for whitewater. I think both top out at Class2-3. I am an intermediate paddler and I've done both and fared well so....

The Cartecay in N. GA (near Ellijay,GA.) is fun too when there is water - some nice waterfalls. Not too far North is the Hiwassee in Reliance, TN. - which is very scenic but only Class 2. Nice float trip (great scenery) and nice river to cut your teeth on if you are a beginner WW boater. A step up is the Nantahala in NC. Running the Lesser Wesser is good summer fun.
    Last edited by grrickar; 05-19-2004 at 11:08. Reason: wording change

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind
    Have you tried any of the chemical treatments ? Filters are nice but the chemicals out there do just as good a job.
    Chemical treatment works for bacteria etc, but these days one may need to filter out toxic chemicals. Not even streams in the high mountains are safe as these insidious chemicals are taken by evaporation, up into the clouds, only to be deposited hundreds if not thousands of miles from their source Therefore a charcoal based filter is useful. We humans have done an excellent job of making sure that no place is safe from our effluent!
    Last edited by sawwhetowl; 05-19-2004 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by sawwhetowl
    Chemical treatment works for bacteria etc, but these days one may need to filter out toxic chemicals. Not even streams in the high mountains are safe as these insidious chemicals are taken by evaporation, up into the clouds, only to be deposited hundreds if not thousands of miles from their source Therefore a charcoal based filter is useful. We humans have done an excellent job of making sure that no place is safe from our effluent!
    I didn't know that charcoal could filter out chemicals.. I thought it just made water taste better. I think you're worrying too much about the evaporation of persistent chemicals into the air. You should be more worried about consuming animal meat and dairy products, since persistent chemicals like PCBs and DDT collect in fat cells like crazy.

And, of course, avoid drinking water from any rivers, since it's guaranteed they're carrying a toxic load of pesticides and hormones. I'd stay away from creeks near any farms, if I could, too. I wouldnt' worry at all about creeks in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Quack
    I didn't know that charcoal could filter out chemicals.. I thought it just made water taste better. I think you're worrying too much about the evaporation of persistent chemicals into the air. You should be more worried about consuming animal meat and dairy products, since persistent chemicals like PCBs and DDT collect in fat cells like crazy.

And, of course, avoid drinking water from any rivers, since it's guaranteed they're carrying a toxic load of pesticides and hormones. I'd stay away from creeks near any farms, if I could, too. I wouldnt' worry at all about creeks in the mountains.
    If you think that the evaporation of persistent chemicals into the water cycle is not a problem, you may want to expand your research. Activated Charcoal does indeed remove some of the chemical contamination caused by evaporative transport. It does so through a process known as "Adsorption". How good is it in filtering these sources to a point that is beneficial? I do not know. I need to research more. I do feel confident that it is better than chemical disinfection, which adds another toxin to the stew. Albeit, a seemingly benign one in comparison.
    I agree that meat and dairy products accumulate more toxins, and are more of a concern. That is not the issue here. Evaporation of persistent chemicals and their dispertion into the environment is a problem. That said, it sounds like your everyday choices are part of the solution.

++ New Posts ++