WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Well, I had no idea when I wrote that one simple sentence "Wool is sustainable, fleece is not", it would lead to such a donnybrook. I don't intend to get into a debate on environmentalism, or whether or not the use of wool is better for the planet. Time will take care of that.

Maybe we'll see, maybe our children.

But it's a fact polypropylene comes from oil, while sheep graze on herbs and forbs and they aren't raised in pens, or barns like cattle or pigs. To try and equate wool production with feedlot agriculture is misleading and just plain wrong.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Seriously. Please start another thread if the discussion means so much to you. I've done it myself in the past on other issues and it seems to work well for everyone. I appreciate your consideration. Thanks! (Not the moderator, just a user here)

..AND I made it really easy, too:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...870#post823870

Please, consider arguing there. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mags; 04-19-2009 at 19:40.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury Bullseye View Post
    Aside from socks, tell me about wool. Do you carry any wool clothing? Does it beat out fleece for any of you? Is it worth its weight in your view?

I was thinking of using a homemade wool serape/poncho in place of either a down jacket or fleece layer. It's thinner than a sweater - more like scarf thickness. It's core-warming, but the open sides allow plenty of ventilation too.
    Here is the original post.
    I don't see where it precludes sustainability as one of the considerations.

That's not a bad idea though, opening the other thread, because its an interesting question that doesn't have an easy answer. Cheers.

Images

I like wool for:

Socks

Mid weight Liner Gloves (Ragg Wool) with a windproof Mitten for when it's really cold.

Sometimes I like a wool hat

My new purchase this year was Terramar Thermawool base layer. 100% Merino wool. I find them a little bit itchy when it's too warm for them, such as inside a sleeping bag. A few weeks ago I used them while snowshoeing at about 6000 feet near Lake Tahoe. Sank through the snow into thigh deep water at one point and continued hiking for another couple hours. It was reasonably pleasant temps, about 30* to 35* and due to the wool socks and wool underwear, I remained very comfortable. Even taking a break was pleasant. Not sure my normal polypro longjohns would have worked as well.

Wool is good.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

Mid weight Liner Gloves (Ragg Wool) with a windproof Mitten for when it's really cold.

That's my combo of choice as well...be it three season backpacking or ski touring. Definitely a great KISS tip...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have a Peruvian type Alpaca hat with ear flaps and a matching Alpaca neck tube which is an awesome combination. For mitts I like hand knit British type wool. Mine are Briggs & Little Wool, either Heritage or Tuffy. They are awesome. If Tuffy then they are actually a wool nylon blend. I haven't made a nylon overmitt yet, but they are great even in wind and rain and very durable also. Best mitts ever.

I prefer wool over petro-fabrics for active base and mid-layers.

I use a SmartWool T, or a TerraMar Zip-Neck as a base layer, then use a nice Shetland wool sweater from the thrift shop as a mid-layer. They are warm, have a wider comfort range, and don't stink like fleece.

I have a cashmere sweater-vest (thrift-shop) that I use with silk long johns for camp-wear and sleeping.

And I use wool for hats and socks.

I use down or prima-loft for heavy insulating layers for winter camping.

In summer, I prefer SILK Hawaiian shirts to hike in.
    I walk the line.

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by BR360 View Post
    In summer, I prefer SILK Hawaiian shirts to hike in.
    I've got several of those for summer also. People have something to say when I show up for an outing in one.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++