WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Mass Conditions: Ice Storm Damage

I just got back from the A.T. in Massachusetts and found lots of trees down on the trail from an ice storm last winter. Following the trail required frequently leaving the treadway to get around thickets of trunks and branches. Only a few areas had been cleared and none from end to end or road to road except for over the Cobbles in Tryingham (a most excellent relocation by the way). I hiked north from Connecticut and made it to Lee (Mass Pike) when a bad blister forced me off. I was warned that the worst damage was ahead on Mt Beckett and in the October Mountain State Forest.

A rough estimate given to me was it would take volunteers one month before the trail clearing would be finished..

I recommend contacting the local maintaining club when planning any Mass hikes this spring.

AMC Berkshire Chapter
    A.T. Committee
    PO Box 2281
    Pittsfield MA 01201-2281
    (413) 443-0011

Images

The Berkshire Chapter has web page for trail condition updates specifically for this years problems. I found it through a notice on the ATCs website.

http://amcberkshire.org/node/196

Images

LOOK UP when you're hiking through NW CT, Mass., and S VT. There will likely still be some hanging branches in places.
    Even after the trails are cleared be careful going off trail, because there will be widow makers hanging for a long time. Around here, and likely in the Berkshires, there are places where every tree has some damage.
    --Walter

Images

Default Update: Progress!

The following was posted in another thread where I mentioned trees on the trail in Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    As of last weekend, we are pretty much cleared between Jug End and the Pike, a few blowdowns remain, but the trail is passable.

Problem spots at this time are: Glen Brook Campsite to Elbow Trail, Mass Pike N to Oct Mtn Shelter (to be cleared this weekend), near Gore Pond between Cheshire and Dalton (pretty bad there), and Between Outlook Ave in Cheshire and Mark Nopel Shelter. These are the areas with the most severe damage, route finding can be difficult as there are enough downed branches in some locations to mask the footpath. The storm damage is concentrated between 1800 and 2200 feet, higher and lower areas just have "normal" winter debris.

I can provide the latest info, just PM or e-mail me.

Cosmo
    Berkshire AMC AT Committee

Default what are conditions like now in Conn and Mass?

we are heading that way April 1- to do as much as we can from Salisbury into Mass during the 6 days we have. Can anyone give me a heads up as to trail conditions? I am coming from South Carolina-- thank you for any help and info.

Snow should be pretty much gone, but be ready for some serious mud and April showers...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Mass Trail Conditions 3-21-10

Went out Saturday and Sunday this weekend (March 20 and 21) both in the Mt Everett area (south) and on my maintaining section between the VT border and Pine Cobble (north). While I can’t vouch for the other 80 or so AT miles between these points, it should make a pretty good snapshot. Both areas are 1800 to 2200 feet. Snow level starts about 1800ft in patches. Lots of runoff , trail is very wet, even under the snow. Snow is soft and granular.

Saturday, South: Snow is bout 12” deep in most areas. Open rocky areas, and places with good sun exposure are generally clear. A good example is the difference between Glen Brook Shelter and the Hemlocks Shelter. Glen Brook has a southeast exposure and is under a tall conifer canopy. It is pretty much dry and clear of snow. Hemlocks (500yds south) with a northern exposure and dense hemlock over story has about 4”-8” of snow and is very wet with runoff. Saw many day hikers going up the Mt Everett access road, several in sneakers and a few in shorts. It’s not like that yet—serious cases of spring fever in the valleys after a sunny and dry week.

Sunday, North: Snow level is about the same, but in mature forest above 2000 feet there is 12-24” of wet granular snow just about every where. Some drifts to 3ft (a particularly impressive set at the border). In some places on the footpath, meltwater is undermining the snow cover, so footing (even in snowshoes) is very unpredictable. In some areas, it was easier to walk off-trail on a more consistent snow base, rather than deal with snowshoes sliding every which way. Steeper parts of the trail are often open, but full of running water. Really annoying in snowshoes. Hiking was very strenuous. Tracks from a previous hiker were post-holing right to the bottom of the snowpack.

So it's still March, looks like things will quickly improve over the next month, provided we don't get a late season snowstorm. Trail is very wet, even under the snow--my boots were soaked on both trips. Snow fleas were incredibly numerous on Sunday—like soot on the snow. Blowdowns were not a serious problem in these two areas. The trail from Pine Cobble to the VT border is now cleared of downed trees, ‘tho there are likely some branches under the snow.

Cosmo

Cosmo, thanks for the detailed update. My wife and I were going to go to your south section that weekend as well, but had to change our plans at the last minute. Any thoughts on what that southern section might be like now after 10 days of somewhat warm weather and inches of rain that fell this week? Is The Hemlocks shelter wet inside or were you just referring to the area around the shelter. We were thinking of heading out there sometime next week if possible. Thanks!

Images

I was just west of the AT on the South Taconic Trail on Sunday(west of Sages Ravine), no snow to speak of just a little dusting on the north slopes - trails were dry - watch out for the oak leaves on top of hidden rocks. On the AT north of Rt 23 Mt. Wilcox area today - the trail was in great shape, some of the normally wet areas are muddy but for April first, it is not bad even with the rain the last few days. With no rain until Sunday and temps 20-25 degrees above normal, the AT in the southern Berkshires will be in great shape for early April.

Images

Most of the big storm that hit the coast left almost nothing up in the northern area so the AT should be in good shape.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Hi All,
    Tim Messerich here.
    Most of the down trees around RPHCabin in NY are cleared away,but look out for hanging ones along the trail.Our trail club RPHCV will be clearing up what we can on this weekend.See you there.
    Come on down.
    Tim

I'm in Kansas City now, but I would imagine Migrating Bird's report to reflect the AT conditions pretty well. Given the warm weather, and the rain (not as bad as eastern Mass/RI), the snow will be pretty much confined to shady/protected areas and be pretty minimal.

The ground will likely still be frozen a bit, so runoff will make the treadway pretty wet in spots. If it is below freezing, there will be icy areas ('tho these are likely to thaw during the day).

The roof on Hemlocks is fine, it was just the surrounding areas that were soggy. The adjacent shelter, Glen Brook, does have roof problems (they will be fixed in late May).

Have fun,

Cosmo

Thanks all! I will give an update after we get back.

One of our maintainers was out yesterday (April 2nd) and reported there was still 2ft of snow in many areas between Old Adams Rd and Nopel Shelter (south approach to Mt Greylock), and shelter register reports indicating more between there and the summit. Lots of wet treadway as well. A few blowdowns, but nothing huge.

So it appears (as is ever so), the upper elevations in Mass still have a fair amount of winter left early in April.

Cosmo

My wife and I hiked the section between Salisbury, CT and Jug End Rd. this past weekend. The trail is in excellent condition. Hardly wet and there was only one spot of ice on the trail in Sages Ravine. We slept at The Hemlocks and all was well there.

What are the current conditions on Mt. Greylock? Still some snow or just mud?
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Images

Mostly clear to the south of Mt. G. but still 2 feet in spots according to this report:
    http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=35580

Thanks, looks like I'll need the gaiters.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Images

I was on the AT around Sages Ravine and Bear Mt. from on the 15th and the trail was in the best shape I've seen for April. Most of it is bone dry and with continued dry weather this week, it should stay that way. Beware the ticks are out in Southern MA.

Since this thread seems to be becoming a trail update for things other than last year's ice damage...can anyone tell me how the bugs are the Chesire/Dalton area this year with the unusually warm weather?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++